Soxy

Lincoln Park or Brookfield?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Lincoln Park or Brookfield?

• Lincoln Park Zoo
    • Brookfield Zoo
    • I don't like Zoos
    • I just like to vote

With all the hullaballoo about the LP Zoo, I thought I'd see what everyone's favorite Chicago zoo was.

Growing up my family was a member of the Brookfield Zoo--and it was always a HUGE treat to get to go. I love going. And can't wait to take my little cousins there when I'm home.

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

I used to live on North and Clark and work on Clark and Belden. I used to love walking to or from work through the zoo. Where else can you walk to work and see pigmy hippos, lions, cougars, seals and penguins on the way? It's free, it's in the city, it's fun, it's fantastic people watching...what more could you ask for?

Milwaukee County Zoo for us north suburbs type.

When I think of Lincoln Park Zoo I think of Dr. Lester Fisher and

There was green alligators and long-neck geese.

There was humpy bumpy camels and chimpanzees.

There was catsandratsandelephants, but sure as you're born

The loveliest of all was the Unicorn.

First of all, full disclosure: In high school I was a hotdog vendor at Lincoln Park (and Buckingham Fountain, Shedd, and Oak and North Street Beaches, as well as Bears games) so I have a sentimental attachment to Lincoln Park. Also I have a lot of zoo geek knowledge of the place.

I worked in this snack stand that was built in 1899(!) ... and I don't think the french fry oil has been changed yet. :D

Red%20Roofed%20Cafe.JPG

I love both zoos and can't objectively decide which one is "better". Brookfield is more modern with nicer ammenaties for the animals and the human guests. But I'm giving the nod to Lincoln Park.

Lincoln Park is an amazing, historic accomplishment as a zoo run (untill 1995) as part of the Park District operations. Of the other zoos I've been to in that vein, I'd say it's better than the Zoological Gardens at Phoenix park in Dublin and way better than the Central Park Zoo, But not nearly as nice or as well finded as Taranga (sp.) in Sydney (full disclosure 2: I'm a zoo and aquarium junkie). The fact that it is still free speaks volumes about their commitment to being a zoo for the people. It is one of the last major cultural attractions (and it IS a cultural attraction, it was founded in the 1860s) left in the country that does not charge admission.

There is a lot of animal history from Lincoln Park too, with the most famous examples being Bushman the lowland gorilla, one of only 5 gorillas in the country when it arrived in 1931 and the most popular resident there until he died 20 years later (at which time he took up a decidedly less active existence at the Field of course...). Getting the giant pandas was a major coup, and their lowland gorilla exhibit is world class. Having the occassional stupid kid get ripped apart by the polar bears is not so good maybe, but I guess that is natural selection.

Great old Chicago architecture at Lincoln as well. The Cafe Brauer (unused for 50 years other than as the vendor commissary prior to it's renovation in 1990) is classic Prarie-style ala' Frank Lloyd Wright, and the majestic glass Lincoln Park Conservatory building is 100+ years old and looks like it's something out of 19th century Europe.

With the rich history of respected directors, it's really tough to see the zoo going through a bad stretch now. Marlin Perkins famed directorship of the 1940s was the launching point for his iconic Wild Kngdom television career. Perkins' directorship was eclipsed by the amazing 30 year run of Lester Fisher as director, who brought the zoo into all the homes of us old farts through his weekly "Arc in the Park" appeances on the Ray Rayner Show. Diring Fisher's tenure the zoo became a major player in captive animal conservation efforts, and it still is.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(TheDybber @ May 18, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
I used to live on North and Clark and work on Clark and Belden.  I used to love walking to or from work through the zoo.  Where else can you walk to work and see pigmy hippos, lions, cougars, seals and penguins on the way?  It's free, it's in the city, it's fun, it's fantastic people watching...what more could you ask for?

what more could we ask for ??? how about live animals...

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 18, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Having the occassional stupid kid get ripped apart by the polar bears is not so good maybe, but I guess that is natural selection.

:lolhitting :notworthy

Thank you for taking the time to share. That was worth the price of my soxtalk membership x100. It wasn't until I moved away and realized all the great resources that I would miss. There is so much history we walk by every day.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ May 18, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
another reason to like brookfield zoo...  they have a promotion and june 21st and aug 3 involving the WHITE SOX!!!!

http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/0.asp?nSectio...d=167&nLinkID=4

Suddenly starts replanning vacation.

If only they can offer an assurance that Ross Gload :wub: :wub: :wub: will be there.....:wub: :wub: :wub:

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 18, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)

If only they can offer an assurance that Ross Gload  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: will be there.....:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

He can sit on your lap *ANY* time too? Even over MB?

:P

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 18, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)

If only they can offer an assurance that Ross Gload  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: will be there.....:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I'm guessing there will be players on aug 3rd.. and coaching staff on june 21st.. but just a guess

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 18, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
He can sit on your lap *ANY* time too?  Even over MB?

:P

Oh yes. My love and, uh, other things for Ross Gload have been known for a very long time. I can't think of anything else that is clean to say, so I'll stop. :)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
on Chisoxy's guy chart...

Ross Gload>>>>>Mark Buehrle

You guys just know me so well.

I luuuuuuuuuuuv it.

(I'm not doing much at work today--is it obvious?)