Willis gives JG some dap

greasywheels121

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8481530/2

It'll take more than one loss to derail Dontrelle-mania

By Scott Miller

A couple of time zones to the east, meanwhile, Jon Garland of the Chicago White Sox stuck it to Texas to run his stunning record to 8-0. What a night for pitching. The only two guys in the majors to rush out to 7-0 starts, and they took the ball within a couple of hours of each other Tuesday.

"I hope he does well; it's great for baseball," Willis said after watching his own record fall to 7-1. "It's not great for me personally (losing his first decision Tuesday night), but the White Sox are doing well and I'm a big fan of Ozzie Guillen's.

"What he did over here (as a coach on McKeon's staff) and what he's doing over there now ... I hope he keeps winning until we face him in the playoffs."

Watching Garland is like watching a sidewalk artist in mid-sketch. It's all broad strokes and lines and fill in the details later.

He is the construction project that's blended into the scenery for years before one day you drive by, do a double take and say, "Wow, when did they finish that?"

Florida center fielder Juan Pierre saw Garland during spring camps in Arizona a few years back when Pierre was with the Colorado Rockies. Pierre remembers Garland as a guy with a live arm who pretty much spent all of his time trying to put it together.

Now, Garland is developing into something people nearly gave up on a long time ago. In extending his perfect mark to 8-0, Garland became the first White Sox pitcher to win his first eight starts since John Whitehead in 1935 -- and the first pitcher to win each of his first eight starts in the majors since Pedro Martinez did so with the 1997 Montreal Expos.

"He's the hottest pitcher in baseball, him and Dontrelle Willis," Texas catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. told reporters in Chicago after an 0-for-4 night. "He's tough. He's got late movement on the ball. The ball's dying at the end, and he's going with different locations."

With Willis and Garland each 7-0 heading into this week, it was only the third time since 1900, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, that two pitchers 26 or younger went 7-0 to start a season.

Washington's Joe Boehling and Walter Johnson did it in 1913, and the Giants' Christy Mathewson -- who eventually went to 8-0 -- and George Winter of the Boston Red Sox did it in 1901.

Until Tuesday's start in Los Angeles, Willis was the more dominant of the two. He had compiled a major-league best 1.08 ERA, and opponents were hitting only .193 against him (they were batting .223 against Garland, whose ERA was a not-so-shabby 2.39, third in the AL).

As these two zoom toward what could be career seasons, it is Garland's charge to continue to prove he can walk on his own two feet for an extended period of time.

More at the link....

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Wow that rang a bell.  Remember we had traded Garland to the Angels in that Darin Erstad deal that the Angels nixed.

I forgot about that as well until I read it in an article this morning. I think it was CBS Sportsline.

:cheers To Jon Garland. I've always liked him, always thought highly of him and never wanted to see him go. Now he's proving a lot, A LOT of people, including many Sox fans wrong. And I hope he's enjoying every minute of it.

QUOTE(mreye @ May 18, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
I forgot about that as well until I read it in an article this morning. I think it was CBS Sportsline.

I was actually thinking about it last night watching the Angels/Injuns game. I remember being a big fan of it then.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 18, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
The deal was supposedly Garland, Singleton, AND 2 minor league pitchers for Erstad. :puke  I just read it in the Sunday Tribune last week.

As they say, some of the best trades are the ones you don't make.

From the end of Rozner's column today:

The Denver Post’s Jim Armstrong: “OK, so they’ll have to stay hot to keep up the pace, but give the Rockies a little credit. With 11 wins, they’re 3 ahead of Jon Garland.’’

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ May 19, 2005 -> 03:45 AM)
Garland has taught me never to give up on young players too soon.  Could you imagine if we had traded Jon and he was doing what he's doing now for somebody else?  Think about that Eddy Curry Haters. :P

But unlike Eddy Curry, Jon Garland actually helps his team on defense.