What will the U.S. do with Cuban terrorist?

LosMediasBlancas

I think it should open a big can of wormsfor the Administration since as we have all been told, a nation that harbors terrorists is as bad as the terrorists themselves. I say 'should' because in reality it won't officially phase the Administration, just like none of their hypocrasy ever phases them.

I heard on the radio this morning that the guy was actually preparing to leave and earlier offered to leave so he would not put the US in a compromized position.

It will be interesting to see what we do with him now.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 18, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
I think it should open a big can of wormsfor the Administration since as we have all been told, a nation that harbors terrorists is as bad as the terrorists themselves.  I say 'should' because in reality it won't officially phase the Administration, just like none of their hypocrasy ever phases them.

And speaking of hypocrisy...

As Cuban exiles are quick to point out, Castro's record on terrorism isn't stellar either.

The U.S. shouldn't be concerned with the comments of corrupt dictator like Fidel Castro and will certainly not extradite Posada to Cuba. But they have no business harboring him here, either. My guess is that they extradite him to Venezuela.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 18, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
And speaking of hypocrisy...

The U.S. shouldn't be concerned with the comments of corrupt dictator like Fidel Castro and will certainly not extradite Posada to Cuba.  But they have no business harboring him here, either.  My guess is that they extradite him to Venezuela.

I'm not suggesting Castro has a good track record on much of anything (other than environmental protection at which he has been quite good). I'm in agreement that we're in a tricky spot because we can't harbor him and still give the 'either with us or against us' pap that we have for the last 4 years.

And, yes, many thanks for correcting the typo Hurt. I'll sleep better knowing you're on the job. :rolly

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 18, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
I think it should open a big can of wormsfor the Administration since as we have all been told, a nation that harbors terrorists is as bad as the terrorists themselves.  I say 'should' because in reality it won't officially phase the Administration, just like none of their hypocrasy ever phases them.

I heard on the radio this morning that the guy was actually preparing to leave and earlier offered to leave so he would not put the US in a compromized position.

It will be interesting to see what we do with him now.

I'll be impressed if the U.S. does the right thing and either extradites or jails the guy, but I sincerely doubt it.

The Cuban vote in Florida is far, far too important to the Republican party for them to risk losing it in a PR fiasco. Especially with Jeb still the sitting governor down there.

Say what you want about Castro...the guy blew up a plane. You should not be able to do that without going to jail. He should be treated no different from one of the Lockerbie guys.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 18, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
Jim, I expected better from you than not liking the cut of his jib by giving him a jab on his job. :P

Ach, as soon as Kap gets that spellchecker built into the site we'll be living large and spelling error free. :D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 19, 2005 -> 02:29 AM)
Ach, as soon as Kap gets that spellchecker built into the site we'll be living large and spelling error free.  :D

Maybe next he can work on that troll and idiot checker.. :ph34r:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
Someone needs to be prosecuting this guy and frying him.  There aren't many more clear examples of terrorists that I have seen.  Heck I think there is a more clear reason to send him back to Cuba than there was for Elian Gonzalez.

It's more complicated than that. He is seen as a 'freedom fighter' by Cuban Americans and I bet he was also on the CIA payroll for a while, so he's been very US friendly and exteremely anti-Castro.

Do you hand him over to Castro and piss off the Cuban American voters, mostly in Fl. and help out Castro, a bitter enemy of the administration?.

Do you give him asylum and harbor a terrorist within the U.S.?

Do you turn the other way and allow him to flee the country, which is pretty much freeing a terrorist? Totally against our 'war on terrorism'.

Do you ship him off to another country and let them deal with him?