Star Wars

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(Wedge @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
Is this on the DVD?

Ach! No, my memory is failing me once again. I guess it's my mind reinforcing that that was a scene they should have restored...

The Yavin stuff they did add/extend, which made the "just like Begger's Canyon" conversation between Luke and Biggs during the X-wing battle more meaningful.

The damn Tatooine scene is in some deleted/unfinished stuff that they did NOT put back in like I mis-remembered, but I have on a 'making of' program called "Behind the Magic" that came out a few years ago. The scene was shot as part of the original film, and was in Lucas' original novel/screenplay which is why I always remembered it should have been there since I was a kid. It had Biggs and another friend getting ready to leave to join up with te Rebellion.

Since I feel bad about spewing misinformation, maybe I can make up for it by sending you to this site that has information on the history of that scene, stills and script, and actually has download links if you want to see the scene.

Sorry. I guess it's just further proof I've tried to mentally block out most of the special edition alterations. :bang

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here's the other deleted scene with Biggs and a bunch of other friends of Luke's at Toshi Station.

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/cut_scenes/e...ggs_returns.htm

I remember this from the novelization and also from the damn Star Wars trading cards that came out after Ep IV. Yet another scene that would have made sense putting back in place with the special editions...

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
And here's the other deleted scene with Biggs and a bunch of other friends of Luke's at Toshi Station.

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/cut_scenes/e...ggs_returns.htm

I remember this from the novelization and also from the damn Star Wars trading cards that came out after Ep IV.  Yet another scene that would have made sense putting back in place with the special editions...

Thanks for the info. I had read that in an original draft of the script and was very surprised when you said it was present. I'll take a look at this sites you sent me. Thanks!

Finally went and saw it today. Enjoyed it, well why wouldn't you when you've got Natalie Portman on a big screen in some very nice outfits (don't post that bald pic again qwerty) ;).

I would have liked to see some things tie in together a little more, like how does Chewbacca and Han Solo get together, why does Yoda go to the Dagobah system etc., but I still liked it.

I saw the movie last night for the 1st time and I was completely blown away. I absolutely loved it. Great action sequences from beginning to end and General Grevious is f***ing awesome-looking. Loved Yoda throughout the whole movie. Excellent movie and it really ties up a lot of the loose-ends.

***SPOILERS***

I wasn't to happy with the scene of Anakin's exchange to the Dark-Side. Also, Palpatine's darkness shows up almost immediately in the movie. When Anakin has Dooku trapped, instead of capturing him, Palpatine DEMANDS him to kill Dooku. It pretty much gave away thae fact that Palpatine was actually a bad-guy. I also didn't like how Mindu was killed in that scene either. But absolutely the BEST scene in the movie is when Anakin.Vader and Obi-Wan are fighting in the lava flow and when their lightsabers connect, the lava erupts..........bone-tingling!

I should have mentioned this earlier, when I was watching the old ones. My friend and I agreed that we actually like the CG Yoda better than the muppet Yoda from the old ones. I didn't think I'd be that way, because I wasn't a fan of how much CG Lucas used in these prequels. However, the CG definitely got better and better in each new prequel to a point where you didn't think about it as much.

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 27, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
***SPOILERS***

Also, Palpatine's darkness shows up almost immediately in the movie. When Anakin has Dooku trapped, instead of capturing him, Palpatine DEMANDS him to kill Dooku. It pretty much gave away thae fact that Palpatine was actually a bad-guy.

If you had been paying attention you could tell from Episode 1 that something was off with him. Plus his voice was very similar to Sidious' throughout all 6 Star Wars movies.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
If you had been paying attention you could tell from Episode 1 that something was off with him. Plus his voice was very similar to Sidious' throughout all 6 Star Wars movies.

Of course....there were numerous hints the whole time but that one really gave it away.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Of course....there were numerous hints the whole time but that one really gave it away.

Yes, subtle hints like his name being Palpatine... as in Emperor Palpatine!! :bang

j/k

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ May 27, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
btw its MACE WINDU not mindu...PS i thought everyone knew going in that Palpatine was the emperor all along

It was pretty obvious, but I don't remember him being referred to as Emperor Palpatine in the originals so I had to figure it out the harder way lol.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 27, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
It was pretty obvious, but I don't remember him being referred to as Emperor Palpatine in the originals so I had to figure it out the harder way lol.

I dont ever really remember him being called that specifically either. But it was somewhere because i used to collect those action figures when i was little and im pretty sure the box or somethin said palpatine because thats what i used to call him. And this was 5 years or so before episode 1.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)

I just noticed the two looked identical. That was the give away to me :lol:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 26, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
Finally went and saw it today. Enjoyed it, well why wouldn't you when you've got Natalie Portman on a big screen in some very nice outfits (don't post that bald pic again qwerty) ;).

I would have liked to see some things tie in together a little more, like how does Chewbacca and Han Solo get together, why does Yoda go to the Dagobah system etc., but I still liked it.

Chewie was rescued from Imperial slavers by Han Solo. Chewbacca pledged a life debt and the two have been together since.

Yoda goes to the Dagobah System because there was nothing more in Coruscant. There in Dagobah he awaits the New Hope.

QUOTE(Yoda @ May 28, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
Yoda goes to the Dagobah System because there was nothing more in Coruscant. There in Dagobah he awaits the New Hope.

I heard he got suckered into one of the biggest galactic swampland sales ever, and he was kind of stuck with the property. :D

I saw it again tonight but it wasnt as fun because i had a group of 13 or 14 year olds behind me (guessing, but they had a mom with them if that explains anything) and they were talking the ENTIRE movie.

OH MY GOD THERE'S Anikan

OH MY GOD THERE'S Obi Wan

OH MY GOD THERE'S C3PO

OH MY GOD THERE'S R2D2

OH MY GOD THERE'S Jar Jar

OH MY GOD THERE'S Yoda

for almost every charecter from another movie

not to mention them mocking that sound Obi Wans bird thing makes 3 or 4 times after it said it on screen. And laughing after things that werent funny or ment to be at all.

I saw it for the 3rd time today. I'm hooked. I love the fight-scene b/w Kenobi and Vader when the lava explodes behind them.....chilling. I also love Yoda....to raw!

"Not if anything to say about it, I have!"

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
That's not true though... Luke knew at the time of the convervation (on the Endor moon after the Obi Wan spirit had told him on Degobah), and it was revealed to Leia shortly thereafter when tells Luke, "I know... somehow I've always known..."

I did a little checking online after I saw the movie because I had a lot of questions and I'm not one of those people that knows everything about Star Wars. This is what I got: People with the force have strong ties to the past and future. Since Leia was the daughter of Anakin (the strongest in the force), she most likely had the some of the force, too, but she didn't know it. She could have had visions of her mother because of the force, but she assumed they were memories because she didn't understand the force.

Again, I didn't know this before I read it online. I'm not one of those Star Wars nuts. :P

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 22, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
A couple of my friends who were really into it said Windu is supposed to be the best swordsman of all the jedi while yoda had the best mastery of the force.  So I think it was more Windu being that good.

Of course I thought the same thing you did...they want on to call me a moron...I called them dorks :lol:

Na, it's clear that the emperor was playing possum. First, he easily beats three other Jedis (and I believe they were all Masters) before he goes after Windu. Second, he just threw himself onto the ground for no reason and took a position to make him seem helpless. And even the things he says are really ridiculous sounding. He says things like, "Oh, woe is me" and "I have no more power," but he easily tosses Windu about 5,000 feet in the air after that. He was faking so that Anakin would take his side.

Besides, even is Windu is a really good swordsman, what would that have to do with being able to hold back the Emperor's powers? He'd probably be able to hold his own in a straight sword fight, but probably not when the Emperor used the force.

No one could have imagined back in 1977 that STAR WARS would go on produce the greatest 6 film saga the world has ever seen. Likewise no one could have believed that such a sci-fi opera would have such clarity of vision on our own world in the last 3 films.

This is not a pro/con GOP film nor is it a pro/con DEM film. If DEM's want to rally behind "If you are not with me, you are my enemy" bummer stickers for the 2006 elections then they will just further the demise of their own party.

The entire 6 film saga is a statement warning against the global economy & the emergence of global super-corps. The fact that Lucas' foresaw this during Nixon's campaign to embrace China is worthy of applause. He envisioned the power of the beast when it's eyes were first starting to open.

In Ep 1 despite a Galactic Senate & democracy we learn of not just slave states but slave systems. Slavery arises out of economic conditions. The bigger the expanse of the economy the harder it is to regulate. What do we see in our global economy today? Slave labor at it's heart.

Lucas is a billionaire many times over not because he wished to be but simply because he sought to get something (considered worthless at the time) from STAR WARS. FOX made the bulk of the money from it's film release but Lucas secured the rights to merchandising & ancillary revenues. So he made a profit on the first film but he hit the jackpot on the stuff FOX thought was worseless. Likewise he had secured the rights to the sequels which delegated FOX to nothing more than a distributor for the films. It was the greatest indie film contract ever written & will likely be the only one of it's kind.

So it comes as no surprise that Lucas' shows no affinity for wealth in the saga. Nealry every time the good guys are in need of something they have to risk a trial of death to get it simply because they have little to no wealth to speak of.

The first step in the demise of the Jedi stems from terrorist acts on the Republic orchestrated from the Trade Federation. As you would expect the TF deny any involvment. In Revenge of the Sith we learn that the head of the TF is none other than Palapatine himself. Or should I say the Sith Lord, Darth Sidious.

In AOTC, Refusing to sit by & watch her people die admist the denials of the TF, Padme willingly gives up liberty to give emergency executive power to Palpatine. Palpatine manipulates the media into believing that with the military might of the TF vanquished the Jedi pose the greatest new terrorist threat to the Republic. Because of the power this threat poses he convinces the Senate to extend his powers & convert the Republic into an Empire so that all my live in the peace, safety, & security the Empire can provide.

Anakin is a metaphor for both Nixon & Bush. Both of these men are considered to be amongst the most highly virtuous persons to have served the presidency. They believed in virtues much the same as Benjamin Frankling did. But both of them lack principles. Having virtues is one thing but having the discipline to live by them as principles is quite another. It is their lack of principles that make them pawns to be manipulated by the real power brokers: those who posess the greatest amount of wealth & power in the world.

Perhaps what is most frightening about ROTS is that in a secularist world it is no longer religion that is the opium of the people but rather government.

It's a fasade that creates an imaginary belief that we have a voice in the matters of this world. We do not. When we exercise that voice it's only to choose between our perception of the least of two evils. Nothing more. The matters of the world are decided by the wealthiest amongst us. The same as it was centuries before our time.

One day soon the wealth & power of super-corps will lead to their ability to protect themselves. They will support their own troops & their own arms so as to not only protect but expand their wealth & power.

Is this science-fiction? No. In US World & News Report this year an article focused on wealth in China. It exists w/in the leaders of the Communist party & the super-corps. Many of which are American. There is very little distribution of wealth amongst the Chinese people. It's percentage is far worse than ours. What's more disturbing is that the work camps that support the super-corps in SE Asia are secured with privatized troops & arms. The seeds are already beginning to take root.

What Lucas' is preaching is that the 3 greatest principles in this world should be liberty, democracy, & diplomacy. Everything else should flow to support & strengthen these principles. Especially a construct such as the UN. If current campaigns weaken these principles then we should reform them. If current trade practices weaken these principles then we should reform them as well. Lucas' has given us a vision that the greatest threat to these principles is not ideology but rather the concentration of wealth & power in a select few. You could make the argument that in Lucas' eyes a greater distribution of wealth is the most important principle of them all.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT