Star Wars

Chisoxfn

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well just a bunch of thoughts I had about it

I thought Lucas was definitely making fun of the Bush administration. Like the whole idea that Sidious creates the whole seperatist army to later destroy it, ala Hussein and Bin Laden. Or as Juggs mentioned earlier "Either you are with me, or you are my enemy". There is no way that Lucas just wrote that by coincidence. Or after Darth Vader slices and dices the leaders of the seperatists and yells to Padme about how he's gave the empire "freedom and democracy". Also the scene in which the suited Darth Vader is born and standing in the middle ground behind him is a sneering Sidious, ummm Dick Cheney anyone? There were a couple more things I can't remember right now and I'm sure a few of the things I noticed were coincidental but with Lucas being a Democrat, theres no way it was all unintentional.

compliments

Grievous was really cool creation, but I was a little confused at the start where he was coughing. Thankfully his organic innards were revealed. :D Oh, and I loved when Obi was chasing him around on that bird/dragon!

While there are some continuity problems that some mentioned as a non Star Wars freak I didn't notice and thought it came full circle effectively.

Yoda remained a super cool character and with the barrage of CGI that the news Star Wars joints have given us it probaby would have been odd for him to have stayed "muppet", especially considering the fight scenes. But undoubtedly the puppet Yoda beats CGI Yoda, the scene where Luke meets "muppet" Yoda, and Yodes gets in a fight with R2D2 is one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever!

Great scene where Anakin gets the suit and breaks out of the cuffs or whatever and there's Sidious behind him. Of course the whole mood was f***ed with that bloody "Noooooooooooo", that had my buddy rolling.

Jimmy Smits rulz!11!!!1!!

grievances (pardon the semi-pun)

The clunky, terribly, uncreative dialogue. It was horrendous. I'm probably just forgetting how all the other episodes dialogue was terrible as well but this was unbelievable. I was completely dumbfounded by moments like when Anakin and Obi-Trice :D get trapped in some force field and Obi says "I didn't think we were this stupid" or whatever. It just pissed me off. They are Jedi for f*** sakes, they should be able to speak like a poet, the drunks on Deadwood speak more eloquently.

Christoper Lee's character Dooku was useless. Lee is a legend but this scene was butchered. It was dumb right of the bat when when Dooku jumps off the balcony and becomes a completely unrealistic looking CGI creation as he does a front flip of all things. How hard is it to get a stunt man and do some wirework, god! Then the fight continues and it's just not interesting as he gets massacred... in CGI! :angry:

Other CGI parts had me peeved too like the babies in the robots arms were CGI and looked like aliens. Or the clone guys suits were CGI but the Boba Fett face wasn't!?! Terrible. The completely CGI action gives me the impression that I'm watching a cut scene from a video game. I'll take a good ole western gunfight like from Open Range or some damn good Wu Xia battles in Hero over this any bloody day!

Mace Windu is completely underused. This is freakin' Sam Jackson and he's just not forceful enough. Maybe just because he can't across as so in non-R-rated movies. I wish during the scene where Anakin asks/whines about not getting Master that Mace just said "English Muthaf***a do you speakit!, f*** off". :angry:

Just the over-whinyness and stupidity of Anakin too. Like shut up! Oh and if he's such a smart Jedi he wouldn't have needed Padme to tell him she was pregnant, he would have noticed her huge belly!

Probably could say more but now I'm getting mad

7/10 but thumbs down as I was expecting something much better than the previous 2 but I just wasn't really feelin' it.

p.s. Sorry for the long post

Edited by KipWellsFan

Kip I agree with a lot of your sentiments, but as far as the CG I'm not going to swell on it. TThis was the direction Lucas said he was going and he did it. Last week I got to see it again but this time in a DLP theater and there is a collossal difference in how the CG comes of with a digital projection. I don't think I've ever seen a modern film look so crisp and so good. I saw Clones in both trditional and DLP theaters as well, and then the digital was actually quite jarring and i didn't like it as much. I don't know if the state of the art has advanced that much in 3 years or if we're just getting used to the look of digital in the HG/CG/plasma world we live in.

On your Dooku comment, I think they got it right. Anakin IS a hell of a lot more powerful than the last time they met, and it showed in the short work he made of Tyranus. Plus he's got the rage over Dooku taking his hand the last time. Finally, the scene was essential because striking down the apprentice and taking his place at the side of the Sith Lord is about as tight a Star Wars continuity theme gets – harkening back to Jedi with the Emperor telling Luke to kill Vader and take his place, and even back to Empire with Vader suggesting the Emperor's time was past and it should be he and Luke ruling the Galaxy. Without being too heavy-handed about it, Episode 1 did a good job of formalizing this Sith rule that we had already seen glimpses of – always in two they cone..., but was this he (Darth Maul) the master or the apprentice?... etc .

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 06:12 AM)
On your Dooku comment, I think they got it right.  Anakin IS a hell of a lot more powerful than the last time they met, and it showed in the short work he made of Tyranus.  Plus he's got the rage over Dooku taking his hand the last time.  Finally, the scene was essential because striking down the apprentice and taking his place at the side of the Sith Lord is about as tight a Star Wars continuity theme gets – harkening back to Jedi with the Emperor telling Luke to kill Vader and take his place, and even back to Empire with Vader suggesting the Emperor's time was past and it should be he and Luke ruling the Galaxy.  Without being too heavy-handed about it, Episode 1 did a good job of formalizing this Sith rule that we had already seen glimpses of – always in two they cone..., but was this he (Darth Maul) the master or the apprentice?... etc .

Never really thought about it that way. But I still don't like a CG Christopher Lee. :)

I love the movie...but the dialogue has been so horrible in these 3 films. The way Padme and Anakin talk to each other has me convinced George Lucas is a virgin...because no way he has ever shared intimacy with another human being...male or female!

The 2 things that were lamest in this last movie were the 'NNNOOOOO' by Vader and when the doctors said Padme is dying of a broken heart. That's what they said right? How stupid.

But I still loved it...rock on... :headbang

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
I love the movie...but the dialogue has been so horrible in these 3 films.  The way Padme and Anakin talk to each other has me convinced George Lucas is a virgin...because no way he has ever shared intimacy with another human being...male or female!

The 2 things that were lamest in this last movie were the 'NNNOOOOO' by Vader and when the doctors said Padme is dying of a broken heart.  That's what they said right?  How stupid.

But I still loved it...rock on... :headbang

I don't think the doctor said she's dying of a broken heart. I think they just couldn't explain it.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
Ach! No, my memory is failing me once again.  I guess it's my mind reinforcing that that was a scene they should have restored...

The Yavin stuff they did add/extend, which made the "just like Begger's Canyon" conversation between Luke and Biggs during the X-wing battle more meaningful.

The damn Tatooine scene is in some deleted/unfinished stuff that they did NOT put back in like I mis-remembered, but I have on a 'making of' program called "Behind the Magic" that came out a few years ago.  The scene was shot as part of the original film, and was in Lucas' original novel/screenplay which is why I always remembered it should have been there since I was a kid.  It had Biggs and another friend getting ready to leave to join up with te Rebellion.

Since I feel bad about spewing misinformation, maybe I can make up for it by sending you to this site that has information on the history of that scene, stills and script, and actually has download links if you want to see the scene.

Sorry.  I guess it's just further proof I've tried to mentally block out most of the special edition alterations.  :bang

If you listen to the radio drama's that Lucas did at the time the films were released, you get to hear all of these scenes. They existed in those shows (with only Mark Hammil and Anthony Daniels carrying over their film roles), but not in the films. The radio dramas are O.K. at best though. With them, you realize just how poor the scripts are and how cheesy the dialogue is at times.

You do get to hear Perry King from Riptide play Han Solo though. You kind of get a whole new appreciation for Harrison Ford.

It's never exactcly said that she's dying of a broken heart:

MEDICAL DROID: Medically, she is completely healthy. For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her.

OBI-WAN: She's dying?

MEDICAL DROID: We don't know why. She has lost the will to live. We need to operate quickly if we are to save the babies.

BAIL ORGANA: Babies??!!

MEDICAL DROID: She's carrying twins.

YODA: Save them, we must. They are our last hope.

---

Damn, they should have left this scene in place:

QUI -GON: (V.O.) Patience. You will have time. I did not. When I became one with the Force I made a great discovery. With my training, you will be able to merge with the Force at will. Your physical self will fade away, but you will still retain your consciousness. You will become more powerful than any Sith.

YODA: Eternal consciousness.

QUI-GON: (V.O.) The ability to defy oblivion can be achieved, but only for oneself. It was accomplished by a Shaman of the Whills. It is a state acquired through compassion, not greed.

YODA: . . . to become one with the Force, and influence still have . . . A power greater than all, it is.

QUI-GON: (V.O.) You will learn to let go of everything. No attachment, no thought of self. No physical self.

YODA: A great Jedi Master, you have become, Qui-Gon Jinn. Your apprentice I gratefully become.

YODA thinks about this for a minute, then BAIL ORGANA enters the room and breaks his meditation....