Any SB I-294 Users (south of 127th)

Queen Prawn

6 Truck wreck on I-294 by the Quarry

Fatal Big Rig Crash Snarls Traffic On I-294

POSTED: 3:58 pm CDT May 18, 2005

UPDATED: 4:54 pm CDT May 18, 2005

SOUTH HOLLAND, Ill. -- At least six semitrailers were involved in a fatal crash on Interstate 294 in South Holland on Wednesday, temporarily shutting down lanes of the highway.

The crash happened between Dixie Highway and Halsted, near the Thornton Quarry.

One big rig was carrying a load of steel beams, some of which pierced the cab of the truck when it collided into another semitrailer in front of it. Some of the beams actually landed on the bed of the truck in front of the one carrying the load.

One person died in the crash. Few additional details have been released.

All of the southbound lanes of I-294 are shut down, and there are backups in the northbound lanes all the way to Gary, Ind.

At 4:45 p.m., crews were using a crane to pull the steel beams through the mangled cab of the big rig, while its driver's side windows remained covered with a white sheet.

Keep in touch with NBC5.com for updates on this developing story.

:pray for the trucker and his family. Just reading the description of the accident brought tears to my eyes.

i travel that way home every day and i'm still at work now waiting for it to clear up even a little bit. That area is all under construction and to be honest, i'm not surprised that there was an accident. Those damn trucks do not slow down thru there at all.

I can think of a couple times that i've been scared due to a truck whipping past me when I'm speeding through there. I get passed like i'm standing still.

juddling