I just wanted to clear something up............

Tadahito Iguchi

I was always told that although, technically, tie goes to the batter (or runner), the batter (or runner) is either safe or out. There is no such thing as a tie.

Safe or out. If the play is close enough to be a "tie", there is obviously going to be some subjectivity.

Umpires, especially in the majors, think about black vs. white -- not in terms of "ties".

Like strike or ball -- there's no such thing as "outside corner".

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ May 19, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
There is no such thing as a tie.

^^^

If you honestly think about it, a tie is an instance where 2 things finish at the same ending point at the exact same time. What are the odds that the ball and foot will reach the glove and base respectively at the exact same time on any given play? I would guess very small.

In probably 99.999% of instances, if not more, there will never be a tie. That is not to say that there is no such thing as a tie, because there is a slim possibility that the ball could meet the glove at the exact same time as the foot reaches the bag. At that point, it is simply judgement call.

But since the eye is not quick enough to see a .01 or even a .1 second difference between a ball getting to a glove and a player getting to a base, there will be a lot more practical ties than there are actual ties, and from what I've always heard, a tie goes to the runner.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 19, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
But since the eye is not quick enough to see a .01 or even a .1 second difference between a ball getting to a glove and a player getting to a base, there will be a lot more practical ties than there are actual ties, and from what I've always heard, a tie goes to the runner.

Sorta.

When you are actually out umping, you can see things that are very close to ties, but you can make a clear decision, and most of the time, it will be the right decision.

Actually the interesting thing that I was told is that they teach umps to listen for the sounds involved in a close play, as they are more dependable than what the umps see. They listen for mitt and ball, and the foot hitting the bag in order to decide safe or out usually. That is why ususally you see an ump hestitate for a couple seconds to make a call.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ May 19, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
if the ball does not beat the runner to the base then he is safe from what i recall as an ump...therefore if there is a "tie" the ball did not beat the runner and hence he should be considered safe

Actually, it sounds a little more like the opposite: (The runner is out if) "he fails to reach the next base before a fielder tags him or the base, after he has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner."

The runner has to reach the base "before" the tag. If it's an exact tie, that means he's not there before the tag, so it seems like a strict reading of the rules would say a tie goes to the fielders.

:unsure:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Actually the interesting thing that I was told is that they teach umps to listen for the sounds involved in a close play, as they are more dependable than what the umps see.  They listen for mitt and ball, and the foot hitting the bag in order to decide safe or out usually.  That is why ususally you see an ump hestitate for a couple seconds to make a call.

When I umped that one summer that was what one of the guys told me. LISTEN for the close plays.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 19, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
Actually, it sounds a little more like the opposite: (The runner is out if) "he fails to reach the next base before a fielder tags him or the base, after he has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner."

The runner has to reach the base "before" the tag.  If it's an exact tie,  that means he's not there before the tag, so it seems like a strict reading of the rules would say a tie goes to the fielders.

:unsure:

yeah i wasnt sure how it is worded but basically that is the kind of logic to use then...as for the sound I believe that is the best way to tell usually if its a really close play

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 18, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
No, the rulebook does not mention ties.  Either the ball beats the runner or it doesn't.

I read a good article about this somewhere where this guy did alot of research.  He pretty much ended up with nothing substantial from MLB.

By that logic then the runner would be safe because in the case of a tie the ball did not beat the runner to the bag.