A.J. FUCKING PIERZYNSKI

sox-r-us

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
Better Question: Where's the hits for this guy?

0-18 in the last 6 games

He hasn't had a hit since his daughter was born...

Though he went 0-3 the day before, he's 0-15 since his wife gave birth, don't new dads usually get hot right afterwards? Kinda like Mackowiack and his 2 HRs vs the Cubs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
He hasn't had a hit since his daughter was born...

Though he went 0-3 the day before, he's 0-15 since his wife gave birth, don't new dads usually get hot right afterwards? Kinda like Mackowiack and his 2 HRs vs the Cubs.

Maybe the hot strreak only comes if it was a baby boy?Mackowiak had a son right?

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:03 AM)
I kind of see why he doesn't get much attention.  He is an upgrade but his defense is below average, his hitting is average.  If the intangibles are not good (SF) I could see letting him go. 

We the top two pitchers in WP.

He is a groundout machine.

denfense is below avg huh? He leads the league in fielding percentage for catchers (.999), 3rd in PO, 6th in CS.

offense is avg huh? I believe he is 4th in Hr's 6th in RBI's 8th in hits 11th in SLG in the AL.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
denfense is below avg huh?  He leads the league in fielding percentage for catchers (.999), 3rd in PO, 6th in CS.

offense is avg huh? I believe he is 4th in Hr's 6th in RBI's 8th in hits 11th in SLG in the AL.

People need to remember that catchers typically aren't the best hitters on the team. Its a grueling postion, and those players also NEED plenty of time off. AJ plays almost everyday, which is rare.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
denfense is below avg huh?  He leads the league in fielding percentage for catchers (.999), 3rd in PO, 6th in CS.

I just think the wild pitches could be cut down. The other numbers sound average to me.

Also the hitting sounds about average to me 4th in HR 11th in slugging, some disconnect here don't you think?

I am not saying I am not happy to have the guy or that he isn't worth $3-5M but I thought he was a top catcher and he is probably average with the intangibles lifting him or dropping him as he is a personality that can be taken either way.

When he faced us I thought he was worth more then what we are paying him now I can see why he got what he got.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
I just think the wild pitches could be cut down.  The other numbers sound average to me.

Also the hitting sounds about average to me 4th in HR 11th in slugging, some disconnect here don't you think?

I am not saying I am not happy to have the guy or that he isn't worth $3-5M  but I thought he was a top catcher and he is probably average with the intangibles lifting him or dropping him as he is a personality that can be taken either way.

When he faced us I thought he was worth more then what we are paying him now I can see why he got what he got.

Wild Pitches=Pitchers fault

Passed Balls=cathers fault

baseball 101

The other numbers sounds avg? He is LEADING the league in defense. He is in the top 10 in the other categories. Do you know how many teams are in the league? Because being in the upper third in stats does not make you avg. I think maybe you need to look up the term average and figure out if you are using the correct word.

He is a top catcher, he plays every day, handles his pitching staff almost better than everyone, plays great defense and hits for power. What more do you want.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 02:06 AM)
I just think the wild pitches could be cut down.  The other numbers sound average to me.

I am not saying I am not happy to have the guy or that he isn't worth $3-5M  but I thought he was a top catcher and he is probably average with the intangibles lifting him or dropping him as he is a personality that can be taken either way.

If you saw him in San Francisco last year compared to this year, I don't think you'd be saying he's been average this year.

He wasn't regarded as a top catcher then, and well no-one really wanted him at all, with all the clubhouse cancer stories etc.

But if you look at the impact he's had on our pitching staff, and if we didn't sign him we'd have Ben Davis up starting (ugh), Pierzynski has almost been the most important acquisition for this ballclub. His power numbers have increased way above the norm (from hitting at the Cell), but he's still hitting around .260-.270, he's got the potential for that to increase to the .300 mark still.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
Wild Pitches=Pitchers fault

Passed Balls=cathers fault

I actually agree with you here that you can't blame the Wild Pitches on AJ as much as you can Jose's forkball, but I do have to disagree with you when you present it as that simple.

If a pitcher throws a pitch in the dirt, but the catcher is out of position on it and it goes to the backstop, it will be a wild pitch. Why? Because it was in the dirt. That doesn't in any way mean that the catcher shouldn't have caught the thing.

A passed ball happens when a pitcher throws a ball that is well within the reach of the catcher and there's no remote excuse for him not catching it...and the catcher misses it anyway. In other words, if the ball going to the backstop has any component at all of fault going to the pitcher, it will be a wild pitch.

A truly great catcher at stopping pitches will prevent a huge number of wild pitches just because he keeps the ball in front of him. That doesn't mean that if the ball had gotten past the catcher, it would have been scored a passed ball.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
I actually agree with you here that you can't blame the Wild Pitches on AJ as much as you can Jose's forkball, but I do have to disagree with you when you present it as that simple.

If a pitcher throws a pitch in the dirt, but the catcher is out of position on it and it goes to the backstop, it will be a wild pitch.  Why?  Because it was in the dirt.  That doesn't in any way mean that the catcher shouldn't have caught the thing.

A passed ball happens when a pitcher throws a ball that is well within the reach of the catcher and there's no remote excuse for him not catching it...and the catcher misses it anyway.  In other words, if the ball going to the backstop has any component at all of fault going to the pitcher, it will be a wild pitch.

A truly great catcher at stopping pitches will prevent a huge number of wild pitches just because he keeps the ball in front of him.  That doesn't mean that if the ball had gotten past the catcher, it would have been scored a passed ball.

As long as you are talking baseball and not politics, we are generally in agreement. :)

Peirzynski is a gamer. He's as important to the success of the Sox as Varitek is to the Red Sox. When he was with the Twins, I hated the guy. But, when word filtered out that we might sign him I was 100% for it. I have not been disappointed by his performance in any way.

You Blackhawk fans may remember a guy that I corralate with AJ in the fact that I hated the guy, but I knew I love him if he ever played for the Hawks. Unfortunately, he never did but was thorn in their sides for years. Another guy that played in Minnesota ... Dino Ciccarelli.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)

If a pitcher throws a pitch in the dirt, but the catcher is out of position on it and it goes to the backstop, it will be a wild pitch.  Why?  Because it was in the dirt.  That doesn't in any way mean that the catcher shouldn't have caught the thing.

A passed ball happens when a pitcher throws a ball that is well within the reach of the catcher and there's no remote excuse for him not catching it...and the catcher misses it anyway.  In other words, if the ball going to the backstop has any component at all of fault going to the pitcher, it will be a wild pitch.

A truly great catcher at stopping pitches will prevent a huge number of wild pitches just because he keeps the ball in front of him.  That doesn't mean that if the ball had gotten past the catcher, it would have been scored a passed ball.

Errors work the same way for every position. Its a judgement call, and we bank on it. When we talk fielding percentage for SS, the same is true. Its all based on judgements from the scorekeeper, and the catcher/pitcher thing is the same. The fact that he has a .999 fielding percentage speaks volumes.

And yes, this is coming from a former catcher.