A.J. FUCKING PIERZYNSKI

sox-r-us

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
Wild Pitches=Pitchers fault

Passed Balls=cathers fault

baseball 101

The other numbers sounds avg?  He is LEADING the league in defense.  He is in the top 10 in the other categories.  Do you know how many teams are in the league?  Because being in the upper third in stats does not make you avg.  I think maybe you need to look up the term average and figure out if you are using the correct word.

He is a top catcher, he plays every day, handles his pitching staff almost better than everyone, plays great defense and hits for power.  What more do you want.

The point of this thread was about how great he was and that he should make a ton next year based on mid-May performanace. After watching him this year I understand why he was let go. I really overrated him (I thought he would be awesome). The firey side of him is what this team needed but I can also see how it could wear thin. He is worth 3 to 5M a year no more.

I THINK HE IS AVERAGE I DO NOT THINK HE SUCKS!!!! I think his passion is what we need that other teams did not. That was my point. He is not a $9M a year guy. 4th in HR but 11th in slugging is not good, it is average. There are many pitches that are called wild pitches that he should've got to, the first one last night did not hit the dirt. If you can stop it, don't call it.

We can win with him as our catcher and I think he should be resigned but he is not that prize I really thought he was. He is a huge addition and benefit for this team but he is not the top tier guy I thought. That is all I am trying to say.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
These teams have comparable catchers in the AL where there are 14 teams;

Cleveland, Minnesota, Boston, New York, California, Oakland, Baltimore, Detroit

These that don't

Texas, KC, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Toronto

Looks average to me.

SOooooooo....where is the rest of baseball. I mean its good and all to mention some of the teams with premier catchers. Being, 1st, 4th and 11th in something is not avg, avg is about the 50th percentile. He would have to be about 15-17th to really be avg, in every category.

But go ahead and list the teams with premier catchers if that makes you feel like you are correct. AJ is a career 290 hitter with a .331 OBP. He makes less than 3 million a year at this point. He handles his staff better than a majority of the guys you think are better, and has played better defense. s***, Victor has allowed 90 sb's this season for god sakes.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
SOooooooo....where is the rest of baseball.  I mean its good and all to mention some of the teams with premier catchers. Being, 1st, 4th and 11th in something is not avg, avg is about the 50th percentile.  He would have to be about 15-17th to really be avg, in every category.

But go ahead and list the teams with premier catchers if that makes you feel like you are correct.  AJ is a career 290 hitter with a .331 OBP. He makes less than 3 million a year at this point. He handles his staff better than a majority of the guys you think are better, and has played better defense.  s***, Victor has allowed 90 sb's this season for god sakes.

In the AL (I mentioned every team in the AL) he is 11th in Zone Rating, 8th in CS% and 6th in Games Played out of 11 eligible catchers. He is second (not in a good way) in PB.

I like him and think he is good for the organization but feel he is average and can be resigned for a reasonable amount he has a personality that may turn teams off. Sorry if you feel differently but that is all I am saying.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
In the AL (I mentioned every team in the AL) he is 11th in Zone Rating, 8th in CS% and 6th in Games Played out of 11 eligible catchers.  He is second (not in a good way) in PB.

I like him and think he is good for the organization but feel he is average and can be resigned for a reasonable amount he has a personality that may turn teams off.  Sorry if you feel differently but that is all I am saying.

thanks for comparing 2 pretty worthless stats for me. Yes he can be resigned for a reasonable cost, but thats a good thing. He is above and beyond what we had had behind the plate for many years, and is one of the best signal callers in the game. We are lucky to have him.

A.J Pierzynski is a phenomenal player. I was at the game against the Dodgers when the Sox had the tribute for the 59 series. You just had to be there when A.J knocked out that 9th inning Homer to end the game. It was just insane. The crowd stood still, the ball just seemed to drift slowly toward the bleachers and time stood still. Then the place just went nutz. :gosox3:

Edited by WinningUgly85

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
In the AL (I mentioned every team in the AL) he is 11th in Zone Rating, 8th in CS% and 6th in Games Played out of 11 eligible catchers.  He is second (not in a good way) in PB.

I like him and think he is good for the organization but feel he is average and can be resigned for a reasonable amount he has a personality that may turn teams off.  Sorry if you feel differently but that is all I am saying.

What the heck is zone rating for a catcher? Also much of the CS% isn't about his arm, it is about the track meet like jumps that Garcia, Contreras, and Hernandez give up, and the fact that Widger catches Buehrle many times.

The trouble with looking at AJ is that there isn't really a single statistic that we can point to in order to demonstrate his value to this team. Why? Because the most important thing he's done is call pitches all year. He has done a phenomenal job of calling games...probably either the best in the league or certainly the second best behind Varitek.

In some teams, you can look at pitcher's ERA with 1 catcher compared to another, but with Widger on this team and him catching Buehrle a lot, that won't really work too well in this case.

The best number I could tell you to look at then would be team ERA...and we are tied with Oakland for the best number in the AL.

"The fact that he has a .999 fielding percentage speaks volumes."

AMEN!

Besides - did I give any of you permission to pick on my man? A.J. is the best catcher since Carlton Fisk. PERIOD. Not to mention he is HOT!!

No one handles the pitching staff better and I believe it was Buerhle that said he credits AJ with a lot of pitching staffs success.

Widge is a good catcher and I don't really cringe when he's catching. Maybe a little when he tries to throw people out, but overall Widge is good too. I just like A.J. :wub: better.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
Just for the record, when going strickly by sexiness Widger >> AJ.

Are you kidding? No WAY!

A.J. is the hottest, sexiest man I have ever seen! What I would do...

Anyway, the good news is, we don't have to fight. You can have Widger (really - he's single!) :)