Eric Chavez to the Whitesox?????

Southside hitmen

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ May 19, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
I can understand why Beane wants to dump Chavez salary and contract. He obviously wants to rebuild.

And the best way to rebuild is -- dump 27 year old star players that you desperately wanted to sign a year or so back? Yes, I know the A's aren't the Yankees, but given his age and production, they signed him to a pretty good contract. Not a chance in hell they trade him.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 19, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
You would give up BMAC and Crede for Chavez?

I've been a huge fan of his but I'm not sure I would do that trade...Chavez while an extremely 'sexy' player...Flashy defensive plays, smooth lefty swing...I'm not sure hes worth 10+ million a season when our payroll will only be in the 80-85 million dollar range

Yes I would, and I will tell you why. I would rather have Chavez than Crede, because of his lefty bat, and proven track record. Second I would give up BMAC because I think that our rotation is set again for next year. This means that BMAC would not be given a real chance until 2 years from now. I believe that within 2 years we will have another one of our A-AA guys ready to come up and break the rotation. I believe in Liotta, and Gio and I think they could be ready in two years. I think that this could be the year we need to plan for, and I would give up a little of the pitching strength we have in the minors because we have some to back it up.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 19, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
Yes I would, and I will tell you why.  I would rather have Chavez than Crede, because of his lefty bat, and proven track record.  Second I would give up BMAC because I think that our rotation is set again for next year.  This means that BMAC would not be given a real chance until 2 years from now.  I believe that within 2 years we will have another one of our A-AA guys ready to come up and break the rotation.  I believe in Liotta, and Gio and I think they could be ready in two years.  I think that this could be the year we need to plan for, and I would give up a little of the pitching strength we have in the minors because we have some to back it up.

I know what you are saying, but B-Mac can come up and take a spot start or two RIGHT NOW. And with El Duque and Contreras, that's a good possibility. I don't know if Adkins or Honel or anyone down at AAA or AA is ready for that. That's why I don't trade B-Mac, he is our sixth starter.

I was thinking...this trade won't happen. It would be easier to us get Blalock for minor lague pitching. Rangers are always on pursuit for pitching. And Blalock would be awesome...low salary, an All-Star...

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 19, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
Eric Chavez will not be playing for the White Sox anytime soon.

Yeah it wont happen. Its scary what Beane would want in return. Blalock would look awesome to us but I think Texas will trade Texiera first bcoz they that Gonzalez guy on the wings.

1st off I just want to say one thing. Crede is gonna be stuck with arbitration for another few years I think. I could be wrong though cause I know he's been up here for a while.

And on a sidenote, are you freaking nuts...hell ya I make this deal. You get a power handed left handed bat and one of the few 3rd baseman that is actually better defensively than Crede. He'd also be moving from a pitchers haven to a hitters park and I realize that hasn't exactly worked out for Jermaine Dye thus far, but Chavez is one heck of a ballplayer who is signed to what I would call a relatively affordable deal.

The key here is the Sox would probably be picking up salary this year, but they would be losing some contracts next year (PK/Thomas maybe) which would allow them to do this.

The only thing I'd make damn sure of is that he didn't have some sort of lingering injury. I know something happened to him last year (Marte broke his wrist I think) but assuming he's fine I'd pull the deal, I'd even think long and hard about it if Bmac was in it.

However I think with the contract the Sox would be taking, you would be able to make the deal without Bmac. But not trading Anderson would be another story, imo.

SO in short, DO IT KENNY. Hell, Crede, Anderson, Bmac for Chavez I'd consider. The Sox would have Chavez for the next 5 years if they wanted and he's just entering his prime.

Last year he hit 29 HR's in just 125 games and had a .397 OBP. If the Sox could have him and AJP's LHB in the lineup all year that would give the Sox a way more complete ballclub.

While I don't believe this deal will ever happen....

Anyone who would say no to acquiring Eric Chavez is Absolutely NUTS.

Stop the arguements about not trading minor leaguers. If you can get a Proven Young Stud like Chavez, you do it. I wouldn't care if it costs us Crede (one of my favorite players) BMac and another player. I'd give them whatever they want for him. Chavez is the best defensive third baseman in the AL, and he is a heart of the order left handed hitter. We haven't had someone like that since Robin Ventura. I'll cross my fingers on this one... but I won't get my hopes up.

PUt it this way. How would you guys like a gold glove 3rd baseman, 27 year old, LHB, 35 HR's, 115 RBI, .270 AVG, 360 OBP????

Thats the type of numbers Chavez could even average over the remainder of his contract. I'm a huge Crede fan but the Sox are in to win this now and Chavez makes this team that much better.

Now if they deal Bmac I think they are dealing someone that will pitch later this year so I wouldn't ask for him and maybe Beane decides he wants hitting cause he has enough power pitching prospects for the time being. BY hitting I mean a better hitter (Anderson...Beane usually wants ML ready guys or near ML ready guys) and a prospect along the lines of Tracey or Gio, etc and than maybe even another guy (hell that guy could be Josh Fields).

I'm saying one thing, your getting a proven ML stud and he's signed long term entering his prime...that meets all the conditions to deal anyone in the system, imo. Plus he's playing at one of what I call a "premium position".

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 19, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)
This is Ken Rosenthal's response to my e-mail...obvioulsy this was B.S....he didn't start this...

"I seriously doubt it. Chavez is in the first year of a six-year, $66 million deal. "

Well thats that. I edited the subtitle of the topic and removed Rosenthal's name.

Rogowski is in line for Kong's job. Fields is staying at 3B.

No way we're trading for Chavez, his contract is too hefty, and Beane is

not going to eat enough to make it fit within our budget.

Remember, we also have to pay Garland after this year. That isn't going to be cheap.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 19, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
This is Ken Rosenthal's response to my e-mail...obvioulsy this was B.S....he didn't start this...

"I seriously doubt it. Chavez is in the first year of a six-year, $66 million deal. "

OK, so lock this thread, it's all moot anyway.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 19, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)

No big surprise there... thanks for sharing and clearing that one up :)

man would I love to gvet Chavy. He's even better than Joe at D too which is sayign something. He's one hell of a player who is just weeks away from taking off. I don't really believe the rumor as I think the A's would wait until he starts hitting again to increase his value. Same deal with any Mike Lowell rumors to other teams

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 19, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
man would I love to gvet Chavy. He's even better than Joe at D too which is sayign something. He's one hell of a player who is just weeks away from taking off. I don't really believe the rumor as I think the A's would wait until he starts hitting again to increase his value. Same deal with any Mike Lowell rumors to other teams

Mike Lowell lost a ball in the sun yesterday and took it in the face. I don't know how extensive his injuries are, but he left the game.

I stated in another thread a couple of weeks ago that Chavez would not be on the market, for the same reason that Rosenthal mentioned in his reply. I just don't see it happening.

Edited by YASNY

Things to consider:

Kenny will make some trades. He does it every year. And his track record states he does it well before the deadline.

Kenny is always after winning the world series. We may be the best team in the majors, but clearly when we play solid teams, we are NOT far and away the better team (see 4-3 record vs Os and Rangers last two series). The exception is the 4-1 record vs Minny. We will soon get more data on this front when we play Yanks, Bo Sox etc. Hence, expect some changes to this team (see above point too).

Now, I hope in hell, we do not get Chavez and his salary here. We can spend $10M/year on far better options. We could make two upgrades with that kind of money than get Chavez here. I would do what I have always said. Trade for Vinny Castilla, and let Crede be a pinch hitter/bench for the playoffs. In the offseason look to trade Crede. By the time Vinny is done, Josh Fields will be ready. And we will spend 1/4 the $ to make this change. (Assuming Nats take some of Vinny's contract which is not that ig to begin with)

With the $ saved, sign a solid 1B and let Paulie go. And get Frank a new contract for the next 2/3 years so that he retires a White Sox.

The team this year is built on pitching and defense. Now you want to trade away, what many consider to be the best pitching prospect of the spring, for an expensive struggling 3B? I'm all for trading prospects, but some have to be untouchable.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 19, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
Things to consider:

Kenny will make some trades. He does it every year. And his track record states he does it well before the deadline.

Kenny is always after winning the world series. We may be the best team in the majors, but clearly when we play solid teams, we are NOT far and away the better team (see 4-3 record vs Os and Rangers last two series). The exception is the 4-1 record vs Minny. We will soon get more data on this front when we play Yanks, Bo Sox etc. Hence, expect some changes to this team (see above point too).

Now, I hope in hell, we do not get Chavez and his salary here. We can spend $10M/year on far better options. We could make two upgrades with that kind of money than get Chavez here. I would do what I have always said. Trade for Vinny Castilla, and let Crede be a pinch hitter/bench for the playoffs. In the offseason look to trade Crede. By the time Vinny is done, Josh Fields will be ready. And we will spend 1/4 the $ to make this change. (Assuming Nats take some of Vinny's contract which is not that ig to begin with)

With the $ saved, sign a solid 1B and let Paulie go. And get Frank a new contract for the next 2/3 years so that he retires a White Sox.

If I'm gonna spend ten million on one player, Chavez is close to the player that I'd want to spend it on. He's a vacuum over at third-base, entering his prime, the past two years has had OPS+ of 132 and 132.

And, Castilla is average at best at this point in his career, but that's been done...