The Dells..

Steff

QUOTE(Steff @ May 19, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
I think all those resorts are geared towards family..

I think it was about 6 hours for us...

430 miles from Chicago...speed limit is 65 so you're going 70-75. You live in Plainfield...so Id say about 6.

I don't think they had that water park when I went. There were hardly any kids when I was there. Golf course was nice....there's plenty to do on site...plus Lake of the Ozarks has a lot as well.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 19, 2005 -> 08:12 AM)
Unless you count my husband.. I have none yet.  :lol:

I'm looking at golf in southern Illinois. Anyone been to Galena..?

I thought he was the old one? :ph34r:

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 19, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
385 miles ... south on I-57 to I-24 east. Beautiful Kentucky Lake.  About 10 minutes from my front door.

I've heard from a few people Lake Cumberland in Kentucky is a pretty nice place to visit, especially if you like to water ski...have you ever been there?

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 19, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
I've heard from a few people Lake Cumberland in Kentucky is a pretty nice place to visit, especially if you like to water ski...have you ever been there?

We used to go there when I was a kid. Learned to waterski there. Got the crap bruised out of me tubing on some rough waters. Jumped into the part that was the gravel quarry from the top of the edge. Oooooooh, those were some good times.

I

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ May 19, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
Put me on the bandwagon of anti-dells.  Its so cheesy and dumb, I thought this as a 12 year old, :lol:

And that was sooooo long ago.. :rolly :P

QUOTE(Steff @ May 19, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
And that was sooooo long ago..  :rolly  :P

It was a hard life back then, no playstation 2, no cell phone, no cable internet. I tell ya, we had to fight to survive.

:banghead

If you’re going to Wisconsin Dells than make sure you take lots and lots of $$$. My family and I have been there twice and we are not thinking about going there again. There is way too many people and all there really is up there is water parks and golf courses.

There are a few more interesting things in the Dells besides waterparks and mini-putt.

I've been there more times than I can remember and still have plans to go back again. For my family, we like to camp so we towed our pop-up to a campground up there. Much cheaper than a hotel. The first couple of times we were there we did do the waterpark/carnival rides and mini-putt. There is also a HUGE go-cart place which the kids thought was great. (This is mostly our reasoning for going back.)

My wife fell in love with the deer park(first time she's ever got to touch "wild" deer) and the horse-back riding places.

There are a couple of 'gimmicky' places like the wax museum and the "haunted houses" but overall we had a good time. I do agree that it's mostly a family place and can get expensive quickly.

The Dells are awesome if you go for just one day.

Big Chief Go-Kart Park (umm, first and foremost)

Duck Rides

Paul Bunyon Restaurant !!

Riverboat Cruise

Noah's Ark

Arcades on the strip

Miniature Golf

I go to the Castle Rock camping grounds, which is located about 15 minutes from the Dells. I used to stay at the Skyline Motel every year when I was a kid.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 19, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)

Can't say that I have. Cumberland is WAY east. Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are in the western part of the state. The dams used to create the lakes are located about 5 minutes from each other. Then there is the area known as Land Between the Lakes, or LBL. Google it and poke around the web.

Go to Iowa. You won't run into anyone else. :D Although around my neck of the woods, there's bars still with nickel draws. My dad said that it made for some memorable trips home from college with kids who took full advantage. :)

I've always liked Chicago, you could always go there. :)