Trump rips WTC2 design, pushes own idea

southsider2k5

QUOTE(winodj @ May 19, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
The WTC was amazing for the architectural feat it was at the time.

I wouldn't say it was "amazing." IIRC, the buildings were ~ 100 feet taller than the Empire State Building (not a big deal), but were overshadowded by the Sears Tower a year later. They were also bland and looked very similar to the Amoco Building (now called the Aon Center) in Chicago, which was completed the same year.

I'm not sure which design I would rather see built: A recreation of the original ugly twin towers or a the previously-selected avant garde Euro-eyesore. If it were up to me, I'd build a 1,700-foot (e.g., world's tallest) tower, similar in design to 900 N. Michigan in Chicago, but that's probably not going to happen.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 19, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
I wouldn't say it was "amazing."  IIRC, the buildings were ~ 100 feet taller than the Empire State Building (not a big deal), but were overshadowded by the Sears Tower a year later.  They were also bland and looked very similar to the Amoco Building (now called the Aon Center) in Chicago, which was completed the same year.

I'm not sure which design I would rather see built: A recreation of the original ugly twin towers or a the previously-selected avant garde Euro-eyesore.  If it were up to me, I'd build a 1,700-foot (e.g., world's tallest) tower, similar in design to 900 N. Michigan in Chicago, but that's probably not going to happen.

Amoco and Sears Tower were very different buildings structurally. The openness of the inside of the WTC was what made it so special.