Im ticked off

QUOTE(whitesoxfan13 @ May 19, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
:notworthy

All-Star Games are just for show anyway. They're nothing more, and shouldn't be considered as anything but a popularity contest.

Have some of you forgotten? THIS time it COUNTS!!

Also, the 2003 ASG at the Cell is probably the best one I've ever watched.

Frank should be one! why not, there have been guys that have been hurt the whole first half and still got voted in. or maybe that was basketball. oh well. I just think it would be funny if Frank got voted in.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ May 19, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
ATTENTION TO THOSE WHO APPARENTLY DO NOT KNOW:

Performance has nothing to do with the All-Star starters, it's who the voters select.

Accept if someone is batting .373 with 11 HR, 33 RBI and 13 SB.

That person will start in the All-Star game regardless of how many Japanese people vote and how many Yankee fans vote.

Exactly. We'll have 3 at most. Right now though it's going to be Garland and Buehrle. I don't see Hermanson making it despite his great start. He's not the sexy choice. Also he had a 27 inning scoreless streak while with Montreal in 97. I don't remember him making the ASG that year. It's a popularity contest. You'll see the big names there. Foulke will be there more than likely not.

QUOTE(mreye @ May 19, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
I hope only one goes. The ASG is a bunch of crap. I'd rather the guys get their rest. Remember what happened to PK afew years ago after the All Star break?

That is because he was in the home run derby and it can supposedly throw off your swing.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 19, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
Its all about the votes folks, and 1 billion Japanese can really click those mice.

Well... somewhat less that 1 billion. According to the last complete census from 2000, the population of Japan was only 126,930,000. Annual growth was tagged at 0.2%, so the projected 2005 population according to my napkin-back math is only 128,199,300. :)

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ May 19, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
That's one crowded island.

Actually it is four large crowded islands accounting for 95% of the land area, and some 6,850 smaller islands making up the rest. :) :)

[/me = dick]

Sorry... I don't know what it is but I seem to be in full-on smartass mode today. I think I'm antsy with the off day and the series starting tomorrow.

128,199,300 Japanese people X 25 votes each = 3,204,982,500

So Iguchi should end up with atleast 3.2 billion votes assuming that every single person in Japan is an Iguchi fan and gets on the computer and votes 25 times.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 19, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
128,199,300 Japanese people X 25 votes each = 3,204,982,500

So Iguchi should end up with atleast 3.2 billion votes assuming that every single person in Japan is an Iguchi fan and gets on the computer and votes 25 times.

No one votes 25 times. Only extreme diehards. I doubt women in Japan are as big of fans of baseball as males. I also doubt they vote 25 times.

I think that 4 players will make it Buehrle, Garland, Hermanson for sure and either Iguchi Podsednick or Pierzynski the white usually dont get any votes but if the sox continue to play so good people are gooing to start to notice that we have good players and vote for them :gosox1:

QUOTE(Cloudyguy09 @ May 19, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
I think that 4 players will make it Buehrle, Garland, Hermanson for sure and either Iguchi Podsednick or Pierzynski the white usually dont get any votes but if the sox continue to play so good people are gooing to start to notice that we have good players and vote for them  :gosox1:

Iguchi won't make it. I will ban myself from this website permanently if he does. Bookmark this page if you want. Podsednik needs a higher average. The ASG is a power and GG game. Unless you're Torii Hunter defensively, with Pod's numbers, you're not getting in. Plus the AL OF is crowded with better guys. Pod won't make it for sure unless he ups his average to around .320 You need to show some type of power. He won't get in either. Pierzysnki may get in, but I'd my money on Posada or Varitek.

Edited by nitetrain8601

I'm sure that the AL Yankees, er All Stars will do a fine job representing the AL.

The 2005 Sox have been underestimated long since before the season began -- why are we suddenly expecting respect at the ASG? The ASG lost all significance for me when Giambi was made a starter with his .220 something batting average.

I don't buy the Sox respect card. The rude truth is that we don't deserve many all-stars, becauase well, we don't have many stars. There is no way that Iguchi is among the 2 best 2-baggers or AJ in the two best catchers. Clearly, Rodriguez and Varitek have been much better. Now AJ vs. Posada for a third spot is a legit debate. While our great start should net us some selections we know that the Yankee votes will be high and that Tito should reward players like Damon, Varitek, and other guys who won't get voted in. I haven't filled my ballot out yet (I always wait until late June) so I don't know about any tricky stuff with positions but I think if we get 3 guys it would be just about right. Kong can't make it if Sweeney is the Royal choice (duh). The Tampa guy figures to be Crawford again instead of Huff. The Blue Jays will send Halladay and nobody else. That should sum up the one player teams.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 19, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
I'm sure that the AL Yankees, er All Stars will do a fine job representing the AL.

The 2005 Sox have been underestimated long since before the season began -- why are we suddenly expecting respect at the ASG?  The ASG lost all significance for me when Giambi was made a starter with his .220 something batting average.

But Torre will not select the reserves this year, it is Francona, so there probably won't be as many Yankees.

Also, again, starting position players are voted in by fans.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

Gooch is a long-shot as an ASG reserve after Roberts and Soriano. Hermy is in, MB is in, Jon is possibly the AL starter, and Pods is a longshot in the outfield but he needs to get his AVG up and steal like 50 before the break.

Edited by SoxFan1