McCarthy idea-Bmac promoted to the big time?

Princess Dye

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
Is it true that BMac is being held out of his start tonight? There are rumors that he's not starting tonight, and pitching Sunday instead of El Duque.

If that is the case, there is no doubt he is making his major league debut on Sunday, and El Duque is hitting El disabled list.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Munoz started, BMac must be in on Sunday. I think its actually a pretty good situation for him. Against the Cubs, not the best offensive team in the world. Opposed by the Messiah. Nobody would ever think he could win. Hopefully, he'll be the BMac of Tucson.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 20, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
That could turn out bad. A huge crowd in a big game in an opposing ballpark for your major league debut, if he got roughed up he could implode. I don't care how strong he is mentally.

Even though it wasn't his MLB debut, Felix Diaz filled in nicely in an emergency start last year against the Cubs. Even beating Zambrano. But, this is the first I've heard about McCarthy coming up.

To answer the question on who the long reliever is, right now it's Neal Cotts. Who's actually been not that bad.... :pray

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
If Munoz started, BMac must be in on Sunday. I think its actually a pretty good situation for him. Against the Cubs, not the best offensive team in the world. Opposed by the Messiah. Nobody would ever think he could win. Hopefully, he'll be the BMac of Tucson.

Well, this begs the question:

Aren't you worried about the gaping fifth starter hole of the past?

Lord knows I am. Perhaps I'm just a bit gun shy, but the thought of having a rookie in the fifth starters spot for an extended period of time really knocks us down a peg or two. If Duque decides to fight injuries from this point forward, and we have to deal with an inconstant Garcia and Contreras we're in deep.

Not good. Not good at all.

...not to mention the arbitration clock is now a' rollin' on Mr. McCarthy.

Be careful what you wish for folks.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 20, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
18 games over .500, Bmac would have made any other big league roster out of spring training, deep breaths, people.

:puke

Three words.

Rookie--Midst--Pennant-Race

...yes, that's right...I've hyphenated pennant-race. :P

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 20, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
:puke

Three words.

Rookie--Midst--Pennant-Race

...yes, that's right...I've hyphenated pennant-race. :P

This guy is one of the best rooks in baseball and has his head on straight. I have no doubt if he came up here that he'd be able to keep the Sox in the games. He's very mature and would be pitching on pretty much any other team.

Calm down everyone. I think more seasoning would be best, but we all knew if there was an injury or something along those lines we'd see Brandon. Thats why I was so happy he was in AAA, cause we knew it was just a matter of time until Duque went down (if that really is the case).

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ May 20, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
YOu don't want a guy sitting around doing nothing when he can be loggin innings and feeling out how to pitch.  How many long relief appreances have we needed.  Leave him where he is and hope not to need him until Spring of 2007.

Agreed 100%.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 20, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
Well, this begs the question:

Aren't you worried about the gaping fifth starter hole of the past?

Lord knows I am.  Perhaps I'm just a bit gun shy, but the thought of having a rookie in the fifth starters spot for an extended period of time really knocks us down a peg or two.  If Duque decides to fight injuries from this point forward, and we have to deal with an inconstant Garcia and Contreras we're in deep.

Not good.  Not good at all.

...not to mention the arbitration clock is now a' rollin' on Mr. McCarthy.

Be careful what you wish for folks.

Since we're being hypothetic here:

Foremost, before any discussion of McCarthy's availability, Guillen should shoulder blame if Hernandez is injured. Several starts this season Hernandez's pitch count has exceeded 115 pitches. I've questioned these decisions before due to our bullpen depth. His arm is more important in September/October than April

Depending on our situation Sunday, and Hernandez true health status, perhaps Guillen can start Cotts.

Honestly, the possibility of McCarthy's promotion doesn't bother me. Whether he's rocked or pitches a gem, his confidence should remain the same. If not, how can one adopt to life in the majors? Whether his line is 7IP, 0ER, 8K's or 1.3 IP, 6ER, 1K, McCarthy must know this is his first start. The organization believes in him. Anyways, if he can't adapt to pitching now--midseason, how will he fare in the playoff atmospher of late season baseball?

Arbirtation concerns shouldn't matter to an organization with a payroll such as ours. If Hernandez misses one start, no need to promote McCarthy. If Hernandez misses an extended period of time, our best choice is for Brandon to go north.

It could be a lot of things. El Duque may have a flu or something, and they might not want to burn the bullpen so they bring BMac up, send down Walker. Maybe they are holding BMac out as a precautionary measure just to see if El Duque recovers by Sunday. Hopefully, it isn't anything serious with El Duque. BMac is great a fallback, and would become an instant hero if he shut down the Cubs. I just worry if El Duque is lost, Contreras may revert to his previous form.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 20, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
Since we're being hypothetic here:

Foremost, before any discussion of McCarthy's availability, Guillen should shoulder blame if Hernandez is injured. Several starts this season Hernandez's pitch count has exceeded 115 pitches. I've questioned these decisions before due to our bullpen depth.  His arm is more important in September/October than April

Depending on our situation Sunday, and Hernandez true health status, perhaps Guillen can start Cotts. 

Honestly, the possibility of McCarthy's promotion doesn't bother me.  Whether he's rocked or pitches a gem, his confidence should remain the same. If not, how can one adopt to life in the majors? Whether his line is 7IP, 0ER, 8K's or 1.3 IP, 6ER, 1K, McCarthy must know this is his first start.  The organization believes in him. Anyways, if he can't adapt to pitching now--midseason, how will he fare in the playoff atmospher of late season baseball?

Arbirtation concerns shouldn't matter to an organization with a payroll such as ours. If Hernandez misses one start, no need to promote McCarthy. If Hernandez misses an extended period of time, our best choice is for Brandon to go north.

I hope they're not jumping the gun and the slightest sign of an injury they bring him up. But maybe Cotts' arm isn't stretched out enough to last too many innings and with it being in a NL park, that would be using a lot of relievers and PHs. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. It was only a matter of time for the Duke's annual injury. :headshake