Brandon McCarthy To Make Major League Debut

Chisoxfn

If in fact El Dookie is hurt or something, which may account for his last start on only 2 plus innings, it would mean they expect Brandon to stay for awhile. Otherwise all they had to do is move Garland up a day as he had his usual rest between starts. I likey El Dookie and hope this isn't serious. One thing though is that if in fact McCarthy pitches Sunday I can watch on WGN out here.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fine with me that hes comin up, its not gonna be easy for the cubs to hit someone they have never seen, plus it will be a good duel of bmac vs prior, cubs dont have the overwhelming offense to hurt bmac so im fine with it

QUOTE(JimH @ May 20, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
Agree.

Next thing you know they'll announce El Duque hurt his arm taking batting practice or something, LOL.

On top of that, one thing Ozzie seems to like is having all of his guys ready in case someone goes down. I think he's learned this from his time in the majors (and that short lived time where he came off the bench) as well as from last years club which got hammered with injuries.

To go one step farther, maybe he knows Duque is tired and on top of that he also realizes the odds of one of your starters going down for an extended period of time is likely so it would be wise to get Bmac's feet wet and to get him some experience at the ML level while the Sox have a cushion so come August or September (and someone goes down) he'll know he has a guy that could come up with some ML experience under his belt.

Part of that scenario is a reason why I think later this year you may see Bmac pitch out of the pen (cause Charlotte won't be competing for the playoffs, so you know damn well they wont' be holding there prospects there for the sake of pleasing Charlotte).

Regardless we knew we would see Brandon sometime this year, its just sooner rather than later and he's got the mental toughness to handle this situation.

Guest JimH
If El Duque's injury was only minor why wouldn't they have just moved up Garland for this 1 game?

Personally, I think the last thing they want to do right now is mess with Garland's rythym in any way shape or form.

Sounds simple to just pencil him in, but there are all sorts of factors at play here.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 20, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
Personally, I think the last thing they want to do right now is mess with Garland's rythym in any way shape or form.

Sounds simple to just pencil him in, but there are all sorts of factors at play here.

If this was the Twins, I think this might be a different story, but this is the Cubs. No need to mess around the rotation for a below .500 team.... :)

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 20, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
If El Duque's injury was only minor why wouldn't they have just moved up Garland for this 1 game?

That's all I can think off? It would not be a good idea to get BMAC here unless he is staying here for a while with the team. But hey, Im gettin excited with BMAC vs Prior on sunday.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
As far as I'm concerned Duque has pitched like crap most of the time with the Sox anyway.  This past outing was just a matter of time.  Guys are on base all day long in his starts and his command for the most part has been awful.

5-1

I, for one, think this is the worst passible thing to happen. Duque is a big game pitcher, and this might be a very big game. Our track record on Major league debuts for pittchers is not very good at all. IN fact, they get shelled. The last thing I want to do is have our phenom tank at wrigley. Im pissed and I dont think this is a very good decision right now.

QUOTE(bogie @ May 20, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Man, why against the Cubs? i don't like the fact that we have to throw someone out there in their first major league start against the Cubs. Don't we have other options? This makes us a big underdog Sunday especially against Prior.

Dude it's the Cubs. They're batting like 220 in May with a .280 OBP.

Well we got a couple of singles....

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ May 20, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
I wonder what number BMac is gonna wear?

Just remember folks, even if B-Mac doesn't pitch great in his 1st start, and a Cubs fan tries to heckle you for it, just counter it with; "Oh yeah, well at least he's better than Angel Guzman!" :ph34r:

Good job Jason with all your work in FutureSox. I 'd like to publicly thank you for the Sox/Angels tix for Monday. If I manage to go to another game during the series I'll tell u which one so I can shake your hand and thank u in person.

Best Regards

Ron

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I think El Duque just has a tired arm. I saw him smiling in his last start when they were about to take him out and he was smiling on the bench Friday. Doesn't seem to be the behavior of a guy who's hurting much. Maybe he had some kinda freak accident after the game today. But combine a tired arm with the fact the Cubs are a light hitting team and the conditions for a successful start are good. The Sox are well aware that BMac can handle the pressure though this will be a huge test to keep his composure.