Brandon McCarthy To Make Major League Debut

Chisoxfn

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a doctor, but i was in the right field bleachers on friday and saw el duque talking with contreras, but i did see him mess around with his groin alot during pregame, perhaps he tweaked something, just a theory which will probably be proven completely wrong by me.

Oh and by the way, the bleachers at Wrigley are so bad, ive only heard stories before, but i swear i was at a frat party or a bar, i couldnt tell with all the talking going on all around me, f*** the cubs and their fans, im just glad our boys are preforming so well, and i wish BMAC nothing but the best.

Well this is very interesting news, indeed. Congrats, guys, on scooping the mainstream media. Great work. I hope this is basically a cautionary measure with El Duque, because we are going to need that guy. There's no doubt about that. Having said that, I have confidence BMac can come up and hold down the fort until El Duque's ready.

I hope he's starting on Sunday, because I'll be at that game.

Hopefully the weather holds up, and I get to see a pitching gem from B-Mac against Prior. If that ends up happening, I couldn't really fathom a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 21, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
Just remember folks, even if B-Mac doesn't pitch great in his 1st start, and a Cubs fan tries to heckle you for it, just counter it with; "Oh yeah, well at least he's better than Angel Guzman!"  :ph34r:

I'd go with, "hey, we brought up a AAA guy to play a AAA team. Just trying to be fair."

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ May 21, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
The Score is reporting now that BMac is starting Saturday, with Contreras pushed back to Sunday.

Now I was cool with all of this and cautiously optimistic that they're just being careful with Hernandez. But it's just stupid to pitch Brandon on Saturday if that's the plan, imo. Contrearas against Zambrano looked like a probable win, while ANYBODY against Prior is likely a loss if he's on. But like people have said, if we already won the series, BMac can relax and just pitch his game and if we win it's gravy.

Are they trying to drop two to the Cubs? What am I missing here, guys?

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

Guest JimH
The Score is reporting now that BMac is starting Saturday, with Contreras pushed back to Sunday.

Not a shock, as mentioned last nite. If you're going to call him up, get him in a game right away.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 21, 2005 -> 07:38 AM)
Now I was cool with all of this and cautiously optimistic that they're just being careful with Hernandez.  But it's just stupid to pitch Brandon on Saturday if that's the plan, imo.  Contrearas against Zambrano looked like a probable win, while ANYBODY against Prior is likely a loss if he's on.  But like people have said, if we already won the series, BMac can relax and just pitch his game and if we win it's gravy.

Are they trying to drop two to the Cubs?  What am I missing here, guys?

Brandon was scheduled to pitch Friday, maybe they thought sticking as close as possible to his regular schedule would be in his best interest and gives Contrearas an extra day.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 21, 2005 -> 07:44 AM)
Not a shock, as mentioned last nite.  If you're going to call him up, get him in a game right away.

No use having him sitting on the bench getting nervous. Jump off the board and let's rock. Hopfully he can channel his butterflys and give us 6 solid innings. Then when Steinbrenner comes calling Kenny can hang up on him, and please Kenny hang up.

The wind is supposed to be blowing in today. Brandon's weakness this year has been the longball. I read all of his homeruns allowed were in Charlotte's bandbox. The wind is supposed to be blowing out on Sunday. Of course that would be bad for Contreras, another guy who will give up a long ball.

Thanks for the insights. I still think it may cost us the series, but the reasoning is sound.

With maybe a 50% chance of getting Sunday's game in, I'd still go with BMac Sunday.

Saturday night:

Cloudy skies with showers and a possible thunderstorm late. Low 57F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Sunday:

Showers and thundershowers likely, especially in the morning. A few storms may be severe. High 74F. Winds WSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

"McCarthy called up, will start Sunday for White Sox"

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=51874

Brandon McCarthy, the White Sox’ top minor-league prospect, has been eagerly awaiting his first call to the major leagues.

It came Friday.

Orlando “El Duque’’ Hernandez, scheduled to start Sunday against the Cubs, has been scratched with a sore right shoulder. An official announcement will be made today. The 21-year-old McCarthy is coming up from Class AAA Charlotte to make his debut at Wrigley Field.

McCarthy, whom Sox manager Ozzie Guillen compared to a young Jack McDowell during spring training, was 3-4 with a 4.72 ERA in 8 starts at Charlotte. The right-hander’s 61 strikeouts (in 47¿ innings) topped the International League.

The White Sox offered no details on Hernandez, who missed the entire 2003 season after having rotator cuff surgery. Hernandez also missed half of last season, which he spent with the New York Yankees.

The Sox have been keeping a close eye on the 35-year-old Hernandez, but the former Cuban star didn’t seem to be 100 percent in his last start, when he allowed 6 runs (4 earned) on 7 hits and 4 walks in only 2¿ innings Monday against the Texas Rangers.

Hernandez signed a two-year, $8 million contract with the White Sox on Dec. 22.

Consider the source, but Offman was saying the Sox don't think there's anything seriously wrong with El Duque, they just realize he will need rest during the season and they're not going to push it with him, so their taking advantage of their pitching depth.

I think the real story will be the roster move. If El Duque goes on the DL I will be worried, but if they keep him on the 25 and option Walker, I'll feel better about his health situation

"McCarthy to join Sox this weekend"

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- Brandon McCarthy lived out his childhood dream to play on the same team as Frank Thomas, both in Spring Training and with Triple-A Charlotte, during Thomas' current rehab assignment with the Knights.

But McCarthy still has yet to pitch in the same starting lineup as one of his baseball heroes.

McCarthy was scheduled to start Friday night in Ottawa, against former White Sox hurler James Baldwin. The right-hander was scratched from his appearance, replaced by left-hander Arnie Munoz, and MLB.com has learned that the 21-year-old will be traveling to Chicago and be recalled by the White Sox. He will join the team this weekend at Wrigley Field.

The specific role for McCarthy still is unclear, as is the accompanying Major League move. McCarthy could be added to the White Sox bullpen or, more likely, would start on either Saturday or Sunday.During the 2004 season, McCarthy was as dominant as any Minor League hurler. He compiled a 17-6 record over 27 starts and led the Minors with 202 strikes. Even more impressive was McCarthy's 30 total walks and 134 hits allowed over 172 innings pitched.

He was ticketed for Double-A Birmingham in 2005, after making just four starts for the Barons. But McCarthy's Spring Training dominance pushed him to a promotion with the Knights. It also put him as the No. 1 option for pitching help within the White Sox system, a player who made it hard for manager Ozzie Guillen to send down from Tucson.

"The way he pitched in Spring Training, he almost made that club," said Charlotte manager Nick Leyva, in a story about McCarthy as part of Friday's Chicago Tribune. "How can you penalize a guy who almost made the Major League club?"

"To be honest, it doesn't even feel like it's that close," added McCarthy in the same article. "I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm here, and that's all I'm thinking about -- pitching here and helping these guys win. Things outside of that I haven't really thought about."

After posting a 3-4 record with a 4.78 ERA for Charlotte, McCarthy can start thinking about the Majors. His numbers were slightly skewed by pitching in a hitters' park like the Knights Castle, having allowed nine home runs in 47 2/3 innings -- all in Charlotte. But McCarthy has fanned 61 and exhibited his standard pinpoint control with 14 walks.

McCarthy was selected in the 17th round of the 2002 First-Year Player Draft.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(longshot7 @ May 20, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
I'd like to vote for McCarthy starting on Sunday and Garland on Monday - mostly because I'm going to the Angels games and I wanna see him pitch.  Yeah, I'm selfish like that.

Even better. If Bmac starts today than I can see Bmac pitch on Thursday :)