Gagne?

BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 21, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
Future? We're 30-12, the future is NOW.

Actually, we're 31-12. Which I see as having no bearing on your desire to trade away our farm system for a closer that this year hasn't even been a shadow of his former self.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets forget this topic and be happy when the next Gagne gets called up(Jenks)

Jenks just got rocked for 5 runs in his last save opportunity.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Closer Bobby Jenks didn't fair as well for Double-A Birmingham. The right-hander allowed five runs on three hits and two walks in one inning, leading to West Tennessee's 7-3 victory. Jenks' blown save spoiled a strong six-inning effort from Corwin Malone, in which he allowed one earned run on six hits.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 21, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
Actually, we're 31-12. Which I see as having no bearing on your desire to trade away our farm system for a closer that this year hasn't even been a shadow of his former self.

I think that's key. Maybe the dodgers know something about his health that they aren't exactly excited about announcing to the world?

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 21, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)

Oh, because god forbid me to have forgotten that we had won today. So sorry.

How can you say he hasn't been a shadow of his former self when he's pitched in only two games? In his first game back, he gave up 2 ER...oh, so let's shoot the old horse in the foot and call it quits. His next outing he gave up no hits, no walks and struck out two...not to mention he fanned 3 in his first outing back.

You might as well say it's worthless to get Frank Thomas off the DL because we're fine as is and he hasn't been the Thomas of old. Give me a break.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 21, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
You might as well say it's worthless to get Frank Thomas off the DL because we're fine as is and he hasn't been the Thomas of old. Give me a break.

Agreed. As much as we want to believe it as fans, we are NOT a World Series caliber team. There are places where this team could improve and the setup/closer role is one of them. Do those who say that you "don't want to mess with team chemistry," actually think this is a World Series caliber team?

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ May 21, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
Billy Koch meet Eric Gagne.

Could be a problem, but Gagne's #1 pitch is his change-up. It might not be as effective without a high 90's fastball, but it could be serviceable enough to at least be a good set-up man if worst comes to worst.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 21, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
Could be a problem, but Gagne's #1 pitch is his change-up. It might not be as effective without a high 90's fastball, but it could be serviceable enough to at least be a good set-up man if worst comes to worst.

We would have to give up the farm to get him though. I'm confident that Kenny can find us a better deal elsewhere.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ May 21, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
We would have to give up the farm to get him though. I'm confident that Kenny can find us a better deal elsewhere.

Bill Wagner would be ideal, I won't disagree. Hell, just a dominant set-up man would work. But when Gagne is Gagne, he is as good as it gets and he'll put fanny's in the park even for only pitching 1 inning.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 21, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
Oh, because god forbid me to have forgotten that we had won today. So sorry.

How can you say he hasn't been a shadow of his former self when he's pitched in only two games? In his first game back, he gave up 2 ER...oh, so let's shoot the old horse in the foot and call it quits.  His next outing he gave up no hits, no walks and struck out two...not to mention he fanned 3 in his first outing back.

When you can reply to me in a civil/non-rude manner I will give your opinions some credence.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 21, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
When you can reply to me in a civil/non-rude manner I will give your opinions some credence.

Should I say likewise? For faulting me as to forgetting one simple win? Or perhaps just simply because you're becoming hypocrytical here by TELLING me I'm being a jag bag?

I rather trade for Brazoban... cheaper and showed earlier this year he can close as well as anyone....While I agree we might want to trade for a RP later this year Gagne not only will demand a lot in a trade but also costs a lot of money.

If we are looking for a closer id say Wagner whose in his last year of a contract and just as dominant.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ May 21, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
Agreed.  As much as we want to believe it as fans, we are NOT a World Series caliber team.  There are places where this team could improve and the setup/closer role is one of them. 

Bulls***. Every team has weaknesses and to tell you the truth we really don't have a glaring weakness. This team already is capable of winning the series, obviously doesn't mean they are going to but they definitely can.

The Dodgers will probably keep Gagne. Once Valentin is healthy again, they really don't have many holes that they need to trade such a dominant guy in Gagne to fill. Sure Brazoban has done good, but who's going to set-up for him in the 8th? Is Kelly Wunsch going to pitch as good as he has so far for them?

I'm of the view that a lefty LOOGY who can get lefties out is more important than a closer right now.

Also Bob, you asked where has our farm system gotten us in past few seasons? Your point is taken, but it's still extremely important for the Sox to develop guys that they draft that they can put into the team at such a cheap cost, to help put money into other more important needs. Anderson is very, very close to joining this team, just needs to work on some little things such as his K/BB ratio, and get some more AB's. Ryan Sweeney, Chris Young and Jerry Owens are looking good down at B-Ham, B-Mac is already up with the club now, and Gio Gonzalez was absolutely dominant early on down at Kanny.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 22, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
Bulls***.  Every team has weaknesses and to tell you the truth we really don't have a glaring weakness.  This team already is capable of winning the series, obviously doesn't mean they are going to but they definitely can.

I agree. We have flaws, but so does every other team out there. This team CAN do it.