KW - The Winning Desire

S720

I take Kenny Williams as a GM over anyone! I love his serious attitude when it comes to winning for his team.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Sox GM denies Cubs extra help

Coleman has words with Williams after he's kept from dugout

By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter

May 22, 2005

White Sox general manager Ken Williams wondered aloud before Saturday's game whether his desire to win may have cost him a good friend.

Williams and Cubs minor-league baserunning instructor Vince Coleman engaged in a heated exchange during Cubs batting practice Saturday as Sox coach Tim Raines, Cubs bench coach Dick Pole and others watched in disbelief.

Coleman was upset Williams denied the Cubs' request to let Coleman sit in the dugout during the City Series. Coleman hasn't been with the Cubs since spring training, but appeared Friday to help give a "refresher course" to Cubs baserunners this weekend.

Teams are allowed to add a "seventh coach" in the dugout during September call-ups with Major League Baseball's approval, and also may do it during the season if the opposing team OK's it.

Because the Sox rely heavily on their running game, and because Coleman was one of his era's great base-stealers, Williams believed Coleman's presence could be detrimental to the Sox. Coleman was allowed to help out on the field before the game and pitched batting practice.

Williams approached Coleman near the batting cage before Saturday's Sox-Cubs game as Coleman was talking to Raines. After Williams made an off-hand comment, Coleman stalked off in a huff. Williams asked Coleman to come back and talk, then got angry when Coleman refused. Williams yelled that Coleman should take it as a "compliment" the Sox were wary of his knowledge. He then walked off the field in disgust.

After cooling off, Williams acknowledged his friendship with Coleman probably was in jeopardy, but he was not about to apologize for putting his team first.

"It's nothing personal," Williams said. "I attended Vince's wedding last winter. Our kids play on the same football and baseball teams in Scottsdale. But this man has a tremendous amount of knowledge and I wouldn't be surprised if he helps out a major-league club as a manager some day.

"I can't afford to let someone with such knowledge give them an edge [about] trying to stop our attack, especially when I have the option of [keeping him out of the dugout]."

Cubs manager Dusty Baker confirmed Saturday the Cubs had made the request to allow Coleman in the dugout, and the Sox denied it.

Baker did not witness the Coleman-Williams altercation and declined to answer questions about it.

Why would Kenny want to help the Cubs? Vince Coleman would have tried to steal our signs to guys like Pods and Willie. I think it's obvious that that's what the Cubs were trying to do. f*** that and f*** them. :finger Good job, Kenny. :headbang

Williams approached Coleman near the batting cage before Saturday's Sox-Cubs game as Coleman was talking to Raines. After Williams made an off-hand comment, Coleman stalked off in a huff. Williams asked Coleman to come back and talk, then got angry when Coleman refused. Williams yelled that Coleman should take it as a "compliment" the Sox were wary of his knowledge. He then walked off the field in disgust.

I just love that Cubune bias. :headshake

Edited by Jabroni

If Vince Coleman makes that much difference in KW's opinion, and he is KW's good friend, why, when the White Sox have had so many problems baserunning through the years, and are transitioning into a running team, wasn't Coleman hired as a White Sox major league coach? The Cubs stole a couple of bases yesterday. What can Coleman do sitting on the bench that he can't do pregame or sitting in the clubhouse?

Guest JimH
If Vince Coleman makes that much difference in KW's opinion, and he is KW's good friend, why, when the White Sox have had so many problems baserunning through the years, and are transitioning into a running team, wasn't Coleman hired as a White Sox major league coach? The Cubs stole a couple of bases yesterday. What can Coleman do sitting on the bench that he can't do pregame or sitting in the clubhouse?

Tim Raines

Steal signs.

Also, Corey Patterson and his 4 stolen bases on the season could be a good reason.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 22, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)
Steal signs.

Also, Corey Patterson and his 4 stolen bases on the season could be a good reason.

The Cubs had no problem stealing bases yesterday. They just couldn't get on first. Contreras was awesome. My whole point is I really don't think Coleman being on the bench is going to make any difference in the game, and if it does make a difference, its crazy that this guy is a minor league instructor. He's going to be in the clubhouse if he's not on the bench.

The Cubs had no problem stealing bases yesterday. They just couldn't get on first. Contreras was awesome. My whole point is I really don't think Coleman being on the bench is going to make any difference in the game, and if it does make a difference, its crazy that this guy is a minor league instructor.  He's going to be in the clubhouse if he's not on the bench.

It's not exactly hard to steal on Contreras' slow-ass delivery and Pierzynski's weak arm. :lol:

Patterson had 18 SB in 2002, 16 SB in half a season in 2003, and 32 SB last season. He currently has only 4 SB and is on pace for only 16 SB this season. That is called regression. Obviously, Vince Coleman hasn't really done a great job with Patterson.

Kenny must have felt that Coleman WOULD make a difference. Coleman could have tried to steal signs and then told Blanco when Pods or Willie were going to try to steal. It isn't that hard to believe.

Edited by Jabroni

Whether Coleman could have had an effect or not, the point is that KW thought he possibly could have effected the outcome of the game. If in doubt, punt. And Kenny booted his ass right out of the dugout, as he should have.