KW on Espn now

QUOTE(redandwhite @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
I am convinced that Sweeney is the better player, so I believe Anderson should be made available.  What the White Sox do with him is obviously not my decision but if it involved a stop gap like Overbay I would be satisfied.

OK, I'll play along

Why trade your 2nd best OF prospect, and your #3 prospect overall, for a STOP GAP 1Bman, when you have a perfectly capable STOP GAP 1Bman already on your roster in Ross Gload?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:03 AM)
You said:

I'm just saying, he's a fine middle of the order hitter.  No, he might not be a good defensive firstbaseman, but offensively, he is.  I'd tend to think that he'd make up for his defensive problems with his bat, but Oakland fans have told me otherwise.

Misunderstanding. I apologize.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
I am convinced that Sweeney is the better player, so I believe Anderson should be made available.  What the White Sox do with him is obviously not my decision but if it involved a stop gap like Overbay I would be satisfied.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
OK, I'll play along

Why trade your 2nd best OF prospect, and your #3 prospect overall, for a STOP GAP 1Bman, when you have a perfectly capable STOP GAP 1Bman already on your roster in Ross Gload?

Lyle Overbay is not a stop gap firstbaseman, he is a franchise player.

Oh yeah, the Brewers do not want any position players they want pitching.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
OK, I'll play along

He wouldn't be a stop gap first baseman anyway. He would be here for a while. Like i said he is not a free agent until 2008-2009.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Lyle Overbay is not a stop gap firstbaseman, he is a franchise player.

Oh yeah, the Brewers do not want any position players they want pitching.

Unless they could trade Geoff Jenkins while they're at it, but that's very unlikely. Either way, that ballclub is in a very good position for the next 2 to 3 years, if ownership keeps allowing payroll to increase.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ May 22, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)

Yes, the kid who can't slug over .400 in High-A is superior to the kid in AAA whose OPS is nearly 1.000. I won't consider Sweeney a bonafide A or even A- prospect until his power comes along. 101 ABs without a homer? That's horriffic.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:07 PM)
How so? There are not many ''franchise players'' and he is not one of them.

I shouldn't have said Franchise Player, I meant more of a real good player on a really good team. To where his offensive production would translate to success or falure for his team.

BTW -- Durazo is playing first tonight for the A's, Sunday Night Baseball. Has anyone watched?

I don't think that first base is that much of a key, as far as having a superb defender at the position. If the guy can make up for his lack of range with his bat, then I guess it's not a huge deal -- to me, at least.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
BTW -- Durazo is playing first tonight for the A's, Sunday Night Baseball.  Has anyone watched?

I don't think that first base is that much of a key, as far as having a superb defender at the position.  If the guy can make up for his lack of range with his bat, then I guess it's not a huge deal -- to me, at least.

I agree with you on the fact that production is the first thing you want out of 1st base, but having a superb defender there can make a world of difference. Look at Derrek Lee, he basically saved the game today on that liner double play. His ability to stretch for balls also save the team a few outs. Add in the fact that he makes Aramis Ramirez look like a decent 3rd baseman (even though aramis has improved), and his impact on the defense is paramount. Also, the 3-6-3 double play is a tough play to make, but pays high rewards in the fact that a first baseman can turn two outs on one play.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too here (production AND defense), but with the amount of payroll flexibility we may have in the off-season, plus the fact that our team is focused on pitching, speed and defense makes me feel as though defense is key when it comes to deciding who our first baseman will be. Either way, an above-average defender at first would be a great luxury.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:40 AM)
You're calling Lyle Overbay a stopgap and are suggesting that Ryan Sweeney is a better prospect than Brian Anderson.

The argument can be made that Sweeney will be a better player than Anderson; however no argument can be made that Ross Gload and Lyle Overbay are comparable in any way imaginable.

QUOTE(Fotop @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:39 AM)
I agree with you on the fact that production is the first thing you want out of 1st base, but having a superb defender there can make a world of difference. Look at Derrek Lee, he basically saved the game today on that liner double play. His ability to stretch for balls also save the team a few outs. Add in the fact that he makes Aramis Ramirez look like a decent 3rd baseman (even though aramis has improved), and his impact on the defense is paramount. Also, the 3-6-3 double play is a tough play to make, but pays high rewards in the fact that a first baseman can turn two outs on one play.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too here (production AND defense), but with the amount of payroll flexibility we may have in the off-season, plus the fact that our team is focused on pitching, speed and defense makes me feel as though defense is key when it comes to deciding who our first baseman will be. Either way, an above-average defender at first would be a great luxury.

Oh, definitely. If you can get the excellent defender along with the good bat, than you gotta go for it.

Unfortunately, there isn't a Derrek Lee available in the offseason. And, looking at the other guys -- JT Snow, Konerko, Durazo -- Durazo is probably the best offensively.

Then again -- thinking about it a little more -- if this organization is confident in Casey Rogowski, they might just want a one-year stopgap guy like JT Snow to fill in for a year, if he'd accept. But, I'm not sure where they stand on Rogo. If he's able to repeat or come close to his numbers of last year, I think we got ourselves one helluva future firstbaseman...

QUOTE(redandwhite @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
The argument can be made that Sweeney will be a better player than Anderson;  however no argument can be made that Ross Gload and Lyle Overbay are comparable in any way imaginable.

Overbay

First half - .344 10 62 .407/.555/.962

Second half - .245 6 25 .357/.379/.736

Gload

First half - .267 2 20 .330/.381/.711

Second half - .364 5 24 .410/.558/.968

Looks to me like both are 1 half players.

Both are also LH, and they are quite similar hitters, being gap hitters rather than power hitters.

So not comparable in any way imaginable?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 22, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
yeah i meant Heath Phillips being in AAA and if a starter goes down him being called up.... I guess Tracey could be that guy too, but he really didnt impress me in spring training(which really doesnt mean much).  I think his future could be in the bullpen.

Well, he's a far superior prospect than Heath Phillips. Phillips was overmatched in Charlotte this year and is now back in AA where he belongs for the time being. Phillips does have a lot of similarities to Buehrle, but that doesn't mean he's Mark.

Tracey, Gio, Lumsden, Whisler, Liotta are just a few prospects that I'd rate ahead of Heath. Of course some of those guys wouldn't be as advanced as Heath at this point next year. I'd also go one step farther and add Haig/Rodriguez to that list.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 22, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
BTW -- Durazo is playing first tonight for the A's, Sunday Night Baseball.  Has anyone watched?

I don't think that first base is that much of a key, as far as having a superb defender at the position.  If the guy can make up for his lack of range with his bat, then I guess it's not a huge deal -- to me, at least.

I'm the opposite. I think people underrate the importance of defense at 1st base. I mean Mark Grace saved the Cubs tons of runs of the years and no one is going to tell me that Mient wasn't some factor in helping the Twins the past few years and than his defense down the stretch helped the BoSox as well.

Its great having a good defensive 1st baseman. However, I would swap Durazo and Frank. You get a guy that at this stage of the game is relatively similar to Frank but from the left side. Plus he'll cost a lot less (most likely half the price). And no one is going to tell me that Frank puts up that much better numbers (I'm not talking about Frank in his prime) than Durazo.

Then you have power there and find someone for 1b. I also would look outside the organization, but its usually relatively easy to find a 1st baseman. However if Paulie finishes this year with similar numbers to last season, I'd sign him, although his price tag may be sky high (potentially way too much to give a 1b).

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 22, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
You're calling Lyle Overbay a stopgap and are suggesting that Ryan Sweeney is a better prospect than Brian Anderson.

I don't think he called Overbay a stopgap. I thought someone else did. As far as Sweeney/Anderson. I think Sweeney will develop similarly to Garret Anderson. However Anderson has proved he can at least produce in Charlotte and is doing it in a big way. He continues to rake after every promotion (even though some, msyelf included have had doubts).

I still like the long term potential of Sweeney more, but I also think there is a lot more risk in that and Anderson is no the more sure thing (I wouldn't of said that last year either).

But I like Sweeney more than most and I'm not one to look negatively on his lack of hitting for power at this point. I look more at his stroke and its a real nice one and he's a strong kid who will fill out and hit for more power.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 22, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
Oh, definitely.  If you can get the excellent defender along with the good bat, than you gotta go for it.

Unfortunately, there isn't a Derrek Lee available in the offseason.  And, looking at the other guys -- JT Snow, Konerko, Durazo -- Durazo is probably the best offensively.

Then again -- thinking about it a little more -- if this organization is confident in Casey Rogowski, they might just want a one-year stopgap guy like JT Snow to fill in for a year, if he'd accept.  But, I'm not sure where they stand on Rogo.  If he's able to repeat or come close to his numbers of last year, I think we got ourselves one helluva future firstbaseman...

Is Mient signed long term by the Mets? I know he is struggling right now but maybe I'm assuming wrong but I'm guessing he didn't ink a long term deal in New York so he'll be a FA as well.

Mient isn't that bad of a hitter and I'd like him more than JT Snow (well possibly). I hate JT Snow though and it has nothing to do with his playing days. He's just an asshole or at least was back when he was in Anaheim.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Is Mient signed long term by the Mets?  I know he is struggling right now but maybe I'm assuming wrong but I'm guessing he didn't ink a long term deal in New York so he'll be a FA as well. 

Mient isn't that bad of a hitter and I'd like him more than JT Snow (well possibly).  I hate  JT Snow though and it has nothing to do with his playing days.  He's just an asshole or at least was back when he was in Anaheim.

There's something about Mient's contract, it was a 2 year deal, but I think the Mets may have a 3rd year option possibly. Qwerty or someone will probably post the details of it if they wish.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:07 PM)
Yes, the kid who can't slug over .400 in High-A is superior to the kid in AAA whose OPS is nearly 1.000. I won't consider Sweeney a bonafide A or even A- prospect until his power comes along. 101 ABs without a homer? That's horriffic.

"Not to sound like a queer or nothing, but...." What a funny ass movie, good ava.