Another Closer Target

DBAHO

According to Ken Rosenthal, it begs the question. Who would you prefer? Billy Wagner or Brad Lidge? And he thinks we could be in the market for a DH if Frank doesn't hit;

If the Astros give up on their season, the player who could bring them the most in a trade is not RHP Roger Clemens but closer Brad Lidge. The Braves, Cubs, Marlins and Diamondbacks need late-inning relief help, and the Yankees, Red Sox and White Sox almost certainly would jump if Lidge, 28, became available. The Astros would be trading Lidge, who has a history of arm trouble, when his value is peaking. He isn't eligible to become a free agent until after the 2008 season. . . .

The White Sox could be in the market for a hitter if DH/1B Frank Thomas (ankle) doesn't produce after returning from the disabled list. They began the week ranked ninth in the A.L. in OPS from the No. 3 spot, eighth from the No. 4 spot and 13th from the No. 5 spot. Carl Everett, Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye are the White Sox's most frequent 3-4-5 hitters. . . .

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with Hermanson. Is he as good as Lidge or Wagner? No. But the difference certainly is not worth having to give up atleast 2 of Mcarthy and Anderson or Sweeney. As far as another bat goes? We've got to wait and see how Frank does. If he does struggle, I have faith that Kenny will do something. I personally believe Frank will be absolutely fine when he gets back.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
I'm fine with Hermanson.  Is he as good as Lidge or Wagner?  No.  But the difference certainly is not worth having to give up atleast 2 of Mcarthy and Anderson or Sweeney.  As far as another bat goes?  We've got to wait and see how Frank does.  If he does struggle,  I have faith that Kenny will do something.  I personally believe Frank will be absolutely fine when he gets back.

My thoughts exactly.

QUOTE(Pastime @ May 23, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
I'd be more interested in getting a consistent SS that isn't as up-and-down as a rollercoaster (with HUGE slumps every season), or maybe picking up a 3B who can have more than just one good month each year.

But Crede and Uribe are excellent defensively.

Uribe and Crede would be GREAT bench players for a top-notch team, but they're not starters, IMO.

And we are now a top-notch team. Read into that what you will.

We could deal with either of them coming off the bench, but having both of them in the starting lineup with their non-selective, hacking bats and POOR avg w/RISP is a recipe for disaster.

Even with the hot start that the Sox have had, I would embrace and applaud an upgrade at either position, if not both. The 7th inning in yesterday's game was their weaknesses wrapped up in a nice little microcosm.

Edited by Pastime

QUOTE(Pastime @ May 23, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
Uribe and Crede would be GREAT bench players for a top-notch team, but they're not starters, IMO.

And we are now a top-notch team.  Read into that what you will.

We could deal with either of them coming off the bench, but having both of them in the starting lineup with their non-selective, hacking bats and POOR avg w/RISP is a recipe for disaster. 

Even with the hot start that the Sox have had, I would embrace and applaud an upgrade at either position, if not both.  The 7th inning in yesterday's game was their weaknesses wrapped up in a nice little microcosm.

Who out there right now could we trade for who would be an uprgrade over Juan Uribe? We didn't re-sign him on a 3 year deal worth about $10 million so he could be a bench player.

Yes he's still a very hot and cold player, and his splits this season are really confusing. Last year he was so good at home, and so bad away. Now look at this;

HOME - .164/.197/.309

AWAY - .307/.341/.467

Generally from what I can see with him, the more he walks, the better he hits. So patience is still the key for him. Hitting very well against lefties, but needs to pick it up against righties.

Isn't Lidge making near the minimum? The Astros would be fools to trade him.

As far as other closers/ bullpen guys, the only guys I see the Sox going after are LHP's. Like Eddie Guardado, Mike Gonzalez from Pitt, or Wagner. The sox are stacked with RH pitchers. A LHP with great control [to offset the inconsistencies of Marte and Cotts] would round out the sox pen.

And if Frank stays healthy, he will hit. The Sox won't be in the market for a DH.

Edited by beck72

Regardless of needing a closer, we need another bullpen arm. Vizcaino, Shingo, and Cotts are far from solid. If we acquired a stud closer it would just bump Hermanson down to setup man and make the pen that much more impressive.

I'd say just see how Hermanson does in the closer role, because Urbina and Mesa haven't been traded because the Tigers and Pirates want way to much (according to some GMs), so imagine what the Phillies and Astros would want for an actual top-notch closer.

I'd say just see how Hermanson does in the closer role, because Urbina and Mesa haven't been traded because the Tigers and Pirates want way to much (according to some GMs), so imagine what the Phillies and Astros would want for an actual top-notch closer.

I wouldn't want either of those 2 bums anyways. Both Mesa and Urbina are chokers. I'd rather go after Wagner or Lidge (if these rumors are true).

Lidge also has operated as a set-up man, both for Dotel and Wagner when they were with the Astros. Thus, we know he could be successful in that role. I really like Lidge, but I don't know if we'd have a real shot at getting him without giving up one of Sweeney/Anderson/McCarthy. That said, Lidge is really good and I'd be willing to part with either Sweeney or Anderson for him.

Lidge also has operated as a set-up man, both for Dotel and Wagner when they were with the Astros.  Thus, we know he could be successful in that role.  I really like Lidge, but I don't know if we'd have a real shot at getting him without giving up one of Sweeney/Anderson/McCarthy.  That said, Lidge is really good and I'd be willing to part with either Sweeney or Anderson for him.

Agreed. I would trade either Anderson or Sweeney for Lidge as well. Would the Astros? I doubt it.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 23, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
Agreed.  I would trade either Anderson or Sweeney for Lidge as well.  Would the Astros?  I doubt it.

The Astros used to have probably the best 7-8-9 combination in MLB when they had Lidge, Dotel, and Wagner. When they were competitive, they were willing to give away two of those pieces, thus it would seem like when they aren't competitive, they'd be willing to give away the final piece. Additionally, you have to figure that Bagwell and Biggio are in the absolute twilight of their careers and that Clemens won't be there next year. If we offered them a package of their choice of Anderson/Sweeney, Munoz/Diaz, I'd think they'd have a tough time turning that down.

Lidge is only 28, so it may be unlikely that they deal him at all, but seeing how the Astros moved Dotel and Wagner in the last two years, it certainly is possible.

Edited by Wedge

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 23, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
I think you mean Bagwell and Biggio are in the twilight of their careers.  Berkman is only 29.

My mistake, you're right I did mean Bagwell... all those B's. I edited the original post to reflect that.

QUOTE(Wedge @ May 23, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
My mistake, you're right I did mean Bagwell... all those B's.  I edited the original post to reflect that.

The Astros already have replacements for Bagwell and Biggio. Chris Burke will be the starting 2b and Berkman will move in from the outfield to play 1b (he played first in college). They have a wealth of young outfielders in the minors...the Astros don't really need to trade, they need to sit some longtime 'Stros, which really sucks, because I like Bags and Biggio. Actually, they could use an upgrade over Ensberg at 3B.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 23, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
Joe Crede?

Seriously, how is Ensberg defensively?  I know he's much better offensively than Crede.

I wasn't suggesting Crede, I was just saying they could use an upgrade at 3B. Just an observation. and he's not THAT much better, depends what they are looking for. Remember, Ensberg didn't have a home run until late July/early August last year.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
I wasn't suggesting Crede, I was just saying they could use an upgrade at 3B.  Just an observation.  and he's not THAT much better, depends what they are looking for.  Remember, Ensberg didn't have a home run until late July/early August last year.

He's batting .301 with a .404 OBP with 8 homers and 21 RBI on a team that, I believe, has had a struggling offense this year. Even if his numbers are inflated and he doesn't have as much pop in his bat as Crede, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Joe. I don't know anything about his defense, though.