Another Closer Target

DBAHO

Trading Lidge doesn't really make much sense for Houston, since they don't really have a solid option backing him up. I can't really see them trading an affordable top notch closer. Even if they did it would have to be a monster package. That doesn't seem to make much sense for the Sox to make a deal like that since it would have to probably involve a package that includes B-Mac, Sweeney, or Fields. Wagner can probably be had for less since he is a free agent at the end of the year, possibly a deal revolving around Tracey and another decent prospect would work unless we get in a bidding war. I'm definitely not worried about the offense once Frank gets back. I am confident that a middle of the order with Rowand-Frank-Paule-Dye/Everett-AJ will produce enough runs to do some major damage.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Idonno there could be a lot of closers on the market by the trading deadline... names that come to mind are:

Brad Lidge

Octavio Dotel

Jose Mesa

Billy Wagner

Eric Gagne/Brazoban(dodgers might trade one of them to fill another hole)

Eddie Guardado

Jorge Julio(could be traded to fill another hole)

Danys Baez

Urbina

Danny Graves

Shawn Chacon(although i wouldnt recommend)

I think a really good guy to target of them would be Baez... he is good and wouldnt cost the farm

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
Idonno there could be a lot of closers on the market by the trading deadline... names that come to mind are:

Brad Lidge

Octavio Dotel

Jose Mesa

Billy Wagner

Eric Gagne/Brazoban(dodgers might trade one of them to fill another hole)

Eddie Guardado

Jorge Julio(could be traded to fill another hole)

Danys Baez

Urbina

Danny Graves

Shawn Chacon(although i wouldnt recommend)

I think a really good guy to target of them would be Baez... he is good and wouldnt cost the farm

Mention of those two really need to stop. Neither are going any where. They are as likely to get traded as lidge is, 0.000000000001%

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 23, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
Sox don't need a closer. End of story. We need another bullpen arm and to give Viz a bus ticket out of here, but we don't need a closer. I think Hermy can do the job and I still believe Shingo can turn it around...

If we got a ''closer'' it would be all the better don't you think?

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 23, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
Trading Lidge doesn't really make much sense for Houston, since they don't really have a solid option backing him up. I can't really see them trading an affordable top notch closer. Even if they did it would have to be a monster package. That doesn't seem to make much sense for the Sox to make a deal like that since it would have to probably involve a package that includes B-Mac, Sweeney, or Fields. Wagner can probably be had for less since he is a free agent at the end of the year, possibly a deal revolving around Tracey and another decent prospect would work unless we get in a bidding war. I'm definitely not worried about the offense once Frank gets back. I am confident that a middle of the order with Rowand-Frank-Paule-Dye/Everett-AJ will produce enough runs to do some major damage.

Well said. A guy like Lidge would cost a lot more than Billy Wagner [a FA at the end of the yr, will want big bucks].

Also, the teams that would/ might be in the position to give up a lot for a guy like Wagner [NYY, Red Sox, Angels, STL] really don't need a closer. Also, they'll likely need to fill other spots [ie, yanks ---Clemens, Ana. a bat, etc]. The Sox would likely only need a bullpen guy, and would have the prospects to get Wagner [like you said, Tracey and another prospect, prob. in the top 20.]

I am sick and tired of people saying we do not need a closer. If you are suggesting that Hermanson is a monster, a stud, a dominating closer because he has gotten off to an excellent start, you are fooling yourself.

I personally am not comfortable with the thought of Dustin Hermanson closing out game 6 of the ALCS with the Red Sox ahead in the series 3 games to 2. I'd much rather it be Wagner(because there is no chance at all that Lidge will be traded, unless we were willing to give up like McCarthy and one of the big 2 OF prospects in Anderson and Sweeney, and that would be beyond dumb - same goes for Brazoban and Gagne)

I am sick and tired of people saying we do not need a closer.  If you are suggesting that Hermanson is a monster, a stud, a dominating closer because he has gotten off to an excellent start, you are fooling yourself. 

I personally am not comfortable with the thought of Dustin Hermanson closing out game 6 of the ALCS with the Red Sox ahead in the series 3 games to 2.  I'd much rather it be  Wagner(because there is no chance at all that Lidge will be traded, unless we were willing to give up like McCarthy and one of the big 2 OF prospects in Anderson and Sweeney, and that would be beyond dumb - same goes for Brazoban and Gagne)

I don't really consider Hermanson a "dominating" closer because he doesn't strike out enough guys.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 23, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
I am sick and tired of people saying we do not need a closer.  If you are suggesting that Hermanson is a monster, a stud, a dominating closer because he has gotten off to an excellent start, you are fooling yourself. 

I personally am not comfortable with the thought of Dustin Hermanson closing out game 6 of the ALCS with the Red Sox ahead in the series 3 games to 2.  I'd much rather it be  Wagner(because there is no chance at all that Lidge will be traded, unless we were willing to give up like McCarthy and one of the big 2 OF prospects in Anderson and Sweeney, and that would be beyond dumb - same goes for Brazoban and Gagne)

Dustin is going through a great stretch. Yet when he comes back down to earth [which is very likely, though I love his makeup and attitude], all these "we don't need a closer" types will be calling for Hermanson's head. He's a great setup man, a very good fill in as a closer. Yet he has never been a closer for an entire year. I'm with you, I'd love to have a closer who has lights out stuff.

QUOTE(shakes @ May 23, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I just heard Danny Graves was designated for assignment. I don't personally have an interest in him, but I'm sure some people might.

Danny Graves? Unless we're giving Cincy a gatorade cooler for him, I want no part. That guy is like the Eric Milton of relievers, always giving up the longball. I can just see him giving himself whiplash in US Celluar by the amount of times he'll be whipping his neck around to watch balls fly out of the park. Just say no to the likes of Danny Graves, Jose Mesa, etc. If you want to make a decisive impact on the bullpen then you have to target the lights out guys (Wagner being the most likely). Not saying I am either for or against this, but all of this talk of these "closers" (they wouldn't be on a good team) coming in to help our bullpen is nonsense. I for one wouldn't want to give a team like Pitt or Cincy a B+ prospect for someone who could be just as bad as what we already have.

Edited by Fotop

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
Sox don't need a closer. End of story. We need another bullpen arm and to give Viz a bus ticket out of here, but we don't need a closer. I think Hermy can do the job and I still believe Shingo can turn it around...

BAJ!!!!!

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)

I'm not too worried, because even if we gave up the lead, we'd be facing Foulke in the bottom of the ninth...

Give me Lidge. He's cheap and he wouldn't cost that much as people think. He probably would cost a Sweeney or Chris Young and Felix Diaz. I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. He definately wouldn't cost a BMAC and remember that the Sox have depth at OF in the minors. For Lidge I would do it.

Also, I hear Eric Milton could be the next to go from Cincy. Now, I don't want him as a starter, but what about as a long relief? He has to be better than Cotts or Walker.

And the way I see things, I know Hermanson isn't going to keep this streak alive. I think he would be a lights out setup man. Right now the Sox only have one light's out bullpen arm and the rest could be that, but for whatever reason, they haven't. Damaso continues not to want to follow through on pitches. Shingo won't throw his changeup over the plate. Politte is more of a second setup guy(best middle reliever). I think this team needs one more bullpen arm and it has to be lights out.

Being that he doesn't hit free agency until 08, his price would be 3 of a teams top 4 prospects. I don't think they'd move him but the price would be enormous. I would say that he has proven that he can get any lineup out and is playoff tested. I fear our pen against a lineup like Boston's but even they wouldn't hit off Lidge. I'd be far more interested in this topic in two months.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 23, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
wow, Valentin and excellent defense should not be in the same paragraph.  Have you watched the team prior to this year??

Yep - I've been watching them for over 30 years. A lot of Jose's throws were comical, but he had a great arm, great range, and made errors on grounders that other SS's couldn't even dream of reaching. But he's gone now, so it's a moot point.

When I look around baseball at the other 3B, I see guys who are over the hill, guys who make a ton of money, or guys who are no better than Joe Crediocre. I think we're stuck with him, unless the Sox want to move Uribe to third and pick up a SS.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
Also, I hear Eric Milton could be the next to go from Cincy. Now, I don't want him as a starter, but what about as a long relief? He has to be better than Cotts or Walker.

Milton just signed a rather large contract. No thanks...

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
Give me Lidge. He's cheap and he wouldn't cost that much as people think. He probably would cost a Sweeney or Chris Young and Felix Diaz. I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. He definately wouldn't cost a BMAC and remember that the Sox have depth at OF in the minors. For Lidge I would do it.

Lidge would cost an absolute s***load and he ain't going anywhere. Who's going to trade an absolute stud closer who isn't a free agent for a long time, just ain't going to happen.

Wow...the thought of Lidge at the backend of our bullpen until 2008 is very tempting, especially at a very cheap price. As long as McCarthy is not involved, I could deffinitely see KW making a move to get him. Top notch closer that impacts the team for several years at a cheap price...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
Lidge would cost an absolute s***load and he ain't going anywhere.  Who's going to trade an absolute stud closer who isn't a free agent for a long time, just ain't going to happen.

Perhaps because HOU is aging fast and they start to rebuild and Lidge is a bargaining chip that can bring in some very nice talent. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. We shall see. Hopefully they decide to rebuild. The more talent available at the deadline, the better.