McCarthy actually gave up 2 homers...

Jabroni

The multiple replays showed that it looked like it did not go in the basket but that is rather conclusive.

God forbid Wrigley ditch the baskets and let a ball actually go in the stands for a homerun, and yes, I know Iguchi's was a basket shot.

Edited by Brian

The multiple replays showed that it looked like it did not go in the basket but that is rather conclusive.

God forbid Wrigley ditch the baskets and let a ball actually go in the stands for a homerun, and yes, I know Iguchi's was a basket shot.

The baskets are there so the drunken idiot Flubs fans don't grab every ball that flies near the wall and interfere with the game.

QUOTE(Brian @ May 23, 2005 -> 07:40 AM)

Good for them...If they are goin to have the baskets then fix them up so the ball actually stays in the basket when hit into it...That place is such a s***hole. It is unbelievable that they don't fix anything when they sell out every game.

Sunday I was in the terrace reserved section. Therefore you do kinda depend on the hanging TV's...too bad mine had a loose connection and every time the wind blew it blacked out. Plus those TV's had to be 15 years old, faded out pieces of s***. That REALLY pissed me off. All the money they make and they can't fix or replace a few television sets??

QUOTE(Iguana @ May 23, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
looks like it's in front of the basket to me.

That's what I was thinking too. If you follow the pattern of the chain link, it disappears behind the ball. It is a gridded pattern, and the pattern accross the ball curves, I think you are looking at the seams.

That's what I was thinking too.  If you follow the pattern of the chain link, it disappears behind the ball.  It is a gridded pattern, and the pattern accross the ball curves, I think you are looking at the seams.

Seams on a ball aren't that big and aren't grayish-green.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
That's what I was thinking too.  If you follow the pattern of the chain link, it disappears behind the ball.  It is a gridded pattern, and the pattern accross the ball curves, I think you are looking at the seams.

One thing for sure, you can't "clearly" see it either way.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 23, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
One thing for sure, you can't "clearly" see it either way.

Either way, 'clearly' this thread is meaningless...who cares its a 2b in the book, the cubs won the game HR or not so whats the point???

Either way, 'clearly' this thread is meaningless...who cares its a 2b in the book, the cubs won the game HR or not so whats the point???

Calm down there, bud. I just thought I would try to see what really happened since it was a questionable call in the game and the wind was pretty much blowing everything out anyways.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 23, 2005 -> 07:59 AM)
Calm down there, bud.  I just thought I would try to see what really happened since it was a questionable call in the game and the wind was pretty much blowing everything out anyways.

I agree its great to look at the picture but to go back and forth...

It was in the basket, laces arent green :banghead

It looks outside the basket, blah blah blah :banghead

Sorry I guess I'm just crabby :crying

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 23, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
Seams on a ball aren't that big and aren't grayish-green.

The size of the seams looks proportional to the ball. Also the sun/shadowns going into the ivy when added to an extreme zoom, could play with the color.

Plus I did a little visual aiding here. If you look at the yellow lines, each of them follows a piece of the fencing grid. Then all of the sudden when you get to the ball, that pattern breaks, and turns into the exact same curvature that the seams of a baseball would have. I don't think there is any doubt that this ball was under, not in, the fencing.

Edited by southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
The size of the seams looks proportional to the ball.  Also the sun/shadowns going into the ivy when added to an extreme zoom, could play with the color.

Plus I did a little visual aiding here.  If you look at the yellow lines, each of them follows a piece of the fencing grid.  Then all of the sudden when you get to the ball, that pattern breaks, and turns into the exact same curvature that the seams of a baseball would have.  I don't think there is any doubt that this ball was under, not in, the fencing.

The basket fencing pattern clearly ends at the perimeter of the ball, indicating the pattern is behind the ball.

The large size of the seams is due to the distortion from enlarging the photo.

You can even see the fencing pattern stop at the ball perimeter in the normal sized shot.

QUOTE(southsider17 @ May 23, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
The basket fencing pattern clearly ends at the perimeter of the ball, indicating the pattern is behind the ball.

The large size of the seams is due to the distortion from enlarging the photo.

You can even see the fencing pattern stop at the ball perimeter in the normal sized shot.

I don't think anything is perfectly clear in that picture. Look at that fence, it's all bent out of shape at the bottom, meaning that the pattern of the links are ditsorted. I think that is what you see on the ball. The angle of the pattern on the ball seems sharper than the seams. Also, I remember on the replay a Cub fan waving his arm in a circle the way umps indicate a homerun. Not that this matters anyway as stated earlier, but as long as we're talking about it, that's what I see.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 23, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
The baskets are there so the drunken idiot Flubs fans don't grab every ball that flies near the wall and interfere with the game.

I think they are there for the player's protection since there is no padding on the walls. Although, they do prevent idiot Flubs fans from interfering. Too bad they don't have them down the foul lines!!! Yeah, I'm talking about you Steve Bartman!!!

If you look closely you can see that Burnitz is clearly IN the weeds on the wall...

...I'd blow that up for an extreme closeup, but I'm too busy today....

:D

They really should remove those baskets, maybe put up a little fence or something to keep the drunks from falling over the wall instead.