Baseball America's...

CWSGuy406

Link

The draft is what, a month away? I'm really looking forward to it.

Craig Hansen might be a decent pick at #15, but I'm not sure how they'd feel on taking a reliever in the first round. I'd assume that Hansen is one of those Huston Street/Chad Cordero types who makes it to the big club within a year or so?

He's rep'd by Boras so thats a no go. If he wasn't a Boras client he'd probably go top 10 anyway.

However the guy I really like would be a reach at 15 but I'm a big fan of Cesar Ramos of Long Beach State. The southpaw has 3 good pitches and can throw them all for strikes. I like him more than Ricky Romero (who I've seen a whole lot of).

Hell I'm still shocked Romero is so high. I mean he's an amazing college pitcher but for some reason I get flashes of Jim Parque in my mind. Of course both him and Parque have tremendous hearts (and if anyone doubts Parque's heart, just remember how the guy pitched on pretty much zero arm in the playoffs and did an admirable job at that).

That and I think Romero's arm will fall off because he's been worked so much and just seems to have a violent motion. He does have good breaking stuff though and what I'd call a good enough fastball.

Tyler Green could end up sliding into the 3rd (highly unlikely, but possible) or at least I've seen some projecting him to fall into that range. If so, and I realize he's a Boras client (IIRC) I'd still make a grab at him.

I also like Billingsly or whatever his name is. The SS from A&M. Really quick, good defensively and has made great strides offensively. Both him and Greene can flat fly. Its too bad Troy Trowloski will be off the board when the Sox pick cause he's gonna be a real good one.

Aww, Hansen is a Boras client too?

I really hope the Sox aren't as anti-Boras as it seems, because if they are, they're really limiting their options when it comes to the draft.

Signability shouldn't be an issue this year. Our second pick comes when, in the fourth round? I really hope that they don't pass up a superior talent just so they can get the other guy signed. If they end up taking a player that they feel is better than the Boras client, than so beit. But don't bulls*** your fans by taking an inferior player because of the agent...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 23, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Aww, Hansen is a Boras client too?

I really hope the Sox aren't as anti-Boras as it seems, because if they are, they're really limiting their options when it comes to the draft.

Signability shouldn't be an issue this year.  Our second pick comes when, in the fourth round?  I really hope that they don't pass up a superior talent just so they can get the other guy signed.  If they end up taking a player that they feel is better than the Boras client, than so beit.  But don't bulls*** your fans by taking an inferior player because of the agent...

Signability isn't the problem with Boras clients...its more when and if they will sign. If it only had to deal with offering him the money that would be another story. But when it comes to Boras the negotiations are long and dragged out and even if your willing to offer a fair amount of money, to Boras that isn't enough, and he'll hold his client out and demand more.

Its just too much of a risk. You want to draft a talented player thats ready and willing to sign (for a fair amount of money) and that will report and get short season in and will be better prepared for next year.

If you go for a Boras clients the odds are quite high that he'll hold out and won't sign. Its just not wise to do, especially when there are other talented clients available. I'd never draft a Boras client, unless I was a high market team and was prepared to battle it out. Plus that player would have to be light years better than anyone else on the board and as far as I'm concerned as close to a sure thing as there is.

Jeff Clement, as Dan mentioned, is also a definate possibility. Personally I'm not a huge Clement fan simply because he's had some up and down years due to injuries. Plus I'm more a fan of good defensive catchers. However Clement has as good of power potential as any other collegiate player on the board and definately plays a position thats tough to find.

Its too bad Suzuki wasn't in this years draft cause he's a hell of a lot better than Clement in my book (I'm still bummed the Sox passed up on Kurt).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Its too bad Suzuki wasn't in this years draft cause he's a hell of a lot better than Clement in my book (I'm still bummed the Sox passed up on Kurt).

He was there when the Sox grabbed Lucy, right? My brother follows the draft closer than I do, and I know he wasn't very happy when the Sox passed on him. Then again, when Oakland grabbed him, he was immediately very pleased.

Ack, maybe Suzuki wasn't there when they picked Lucy, I don't remember. Either way, I know he really wanted the Sox to grab Kurt... Looks like he's right up Beane's alley, a good OBP guy.

EDIT: And isn't Oakland now loaded with minor league catchers? Landon Powell, Daric Barton, and Suzuki? They're going to have to move at least one of 'em, don't ya think?

Edited by CWSGuy406

Suzuki has flat raked down in the minors. I'd have to look at the draft and I know he was taken in the 2nd round by the A's, but IIRC Suzuki was on the board when the Sox drafted Lucy.

I flat love Suzuki and think he was a steal. He's better than Landon Powell in my book. The guy is a natural born leader and can flat rake.

He's hitting .281 with a .380 OBP, 4 HR and 20 RBI down in Stockholm (A Ball)

I don't have a clue what Powell is doing. For whatever reason he's not in the MILB database so I don't know if he was injured or if he's in extended spring training and is going to play short season again.

Edit: Suzuki was selected 67th overall while Lucy was selected 59th overall.

Yes, Oakland is loaded with Catchers.

That's a good thing to have because as you look around the league there really aren't too many deep catching teams. Oakland could hold a few for king's ransom and possibly get it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
Suzuki has flat raked down in the minors.  I'd have to look at the draft and I know he was taken in the 2nd round by the A's, but IIRC Suzuki was on the board when the Sox drafted Lucy. 

I flat love Suzuki and think he was a steal.  He's better than Landon Powell in my book.  The guy is a natural born leader and can flat rake. 

He's hitting .281 with a .380 OBP, 4 HR and 20 RBI down in Stockholm (A Ball)

I don't have a clue what Powell is doing.  For whatever reason he's not in the MILB database so I don't know if he was injured or if he's in extended spring training and is going to play short season again.

Edit: Suzuki was selected 67th overall while Lucy was selected 59th overall.

That's really dissappointing. I'm sorry, but that's a poor choice (Lucy over Suzuki). If he's the leader you say he is, that makes it ten times worse, because aren't the Sox one of those teams that really looks for good character? Yuck... a guy shouldn't go second round just because he can play good defense, and that seems like the only thing Lucy has done well in his short time in the minors...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
That's really dissappointing.  I'm sorry, but that's a poor choice (Lucy over Suzuki).  If he's the leader you say he is, that makes it ten times worse, because aren't the Sox one of those teams that really looks for good character?  Yuck...  a guy shouldn't go second round just because he can play good defense, and that seems like the only thing Lucy has done well in his short time in the minors...

Well one thing Lucy has is a s***load more tools than Suzuki ever will. Lucy flat out has a catchers build and is a freakish athlete behind the plate as opposed to most catchers. The problem was he was raw and with that its going to take him some while to pan things out and of course there is a higher bust likelihood.

However, Lucy has the ability to be a very good catcher, both behind the plate and at the plate. We'll just have to see. I was also down on the move but the more I read and heard about Lucy the more I understood in a sense. It was one of those high risk, high reward, high bust type of scenarios and I think since the Sox had so many picks they figured they could take that chance rather than play it safe.

We'll see how it pans out, but I'm just trying to give the Sox perspective on this. And its easy to 2nd guess after the fact, but I know there were a lot of people who didn't think Suzuki had the tools and sometimes tools get looked at a little too much, just like velocity does.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
Well one thing Lucy has is a s***load more tools than Suzuki ever will.  Lucy flat out has a catchers build and is a freakish athlete behind the plate as opposed to most catchers.  The problem was he was raw and with that its going to take him some while to pan things out and of course there is a higher bust likelihood.

However, Lucy has the ability to be a very good catcher, both behind the plate and at the plate.  We'll just have to see.  I was also down on the move but the more I read and heard about Lucy the more I understood in a sense.  It was one of those high risk, high reward, high bust type of scenarios and I think since the Sox had so many picks they figured they could take that chance rather than play it safe. 

We'll see how it pans out, but I'm just trying to give the Sox perspective on this.  And its easy to 2nd guess after the fact, but I know there were a lot of people who didn't think Suzuki had the tools and sometimes tools get looked at a little too much, just like velocity does.

I guess that's the thing, depending on the person. Personally, I'd prefer the safer pick, the guy that might not be the superstar, but the consistent .270/.360 guy over the guy that might be a superstar, yet also (if he doesn't "catch on") has a huge chance of being a bust. I guess that's the GM/scouting director's job, mixing and matching as far as those "boom or bust" picks and the "safe" picks.

Are you guys still looking at getting that Q & A with Wilder, that Jim had mentioned?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
I guess that's the thing, depending on the person.  Personally, I'd prefer the safer pick, the guy that might not be the superstar, but the consistent .270/.360 guy over the guy that might be a superstar, yet also (if he doesn't "catch on") has a huge chance of being a bust.  I guess that's the GM/scouting director's job, mixing and matching as far as those "boom or bust" picks and the "safe" picks.

Are you guys still looking at getting that Q & A with Wilder, that Jim had mentioned?

Ya, its finals week for me right now (I'm taking a little break...had one this morning and another tonight...then one each day until Thursday...although that ain't stopping me from going to the Sox games the next 3 days, LOL).

I'm hoping to get a time set up for Friday but it may not be till early next week. But it should be taken care of relatively shortly. We also have a few more potentially in store.

So if you got any questions make sure to post them and I'll do my best to get some of them answered. The overall goal is to have this one focused more on the players the Sox have, with a little insight as to who they draft and then were hoping to be able to set up one a few weeks after the draft where we can discuss some of the new players.

Guest JimH

Damn, I was about 3/4 of the way thru my post and lost it, LOL.

Jason ... a couple of random thoughts:

1. Consider trying to get an interview with Duane Shaefer in terms of the 2005 draft picks. He'd be a very interesting interview and I'm sure Dave Wilder can help us set it up. Dave will be a great interview for those already in the system but Duane is the draft guru and his insights would be excellent.

2. You have a future in scouting if you choose to pursue it, even part time. I was reading your analysis of Lucy vs. Suzuki and you have good insight, a scout's insight. In addition, you've played baseball. Plus, you're in SoCal and that's a hotbed of activity. Nothing would make me happier than to see you doing some PT scouting work for the White Sox. You should consider getting in touch with Ed Farmer and offer to buy him lunch over the winter ... he lives out by you as you know.

3. I totally agree with your Boras comments, very astute. It's more than just the money, they want to get these draft picks signed fast and acclimated. My feeling is, the White Sox will deal with Boras when absolutely necessary (Crede and Schoeneweis) but all things being equal, they will not draft a Boras guy. The draft is largely a crap shoot anyway. Boras has contacted all the scouting directors and said don't worry, my clients aren't looking to break the bank this year, they don't want anything more than industry norms. Of course the scouting directors are extremely leery of how Scott Boras defines "industry norms". He will squeeze the last buck out of the Weaver and Drew negotiations and I bet they both get signed. The $$ is important, these kids may never play a game in the majors but it does not help their development to sit out a whole year. The White Sox just do not want to deal with the aggravation ... and I am squarely in their corner.

What do you guys think of Cesar Carillo?? Obviously his record has been outstanding at Maimi, I haven't had the chance to watch him pitch yet so I'm wondering what you experts think of him and if anyone has a mini scouting report.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
Tyler Green could end up sliding into the 3rd (highly unlikely, but possible) or at least I've seen some projecting him to fall into that range.  If so, and I realize he's a Boras client (IIRC) I'd still make a grab at him.

I also like Billingsly or whatever his name is.  The SS from A&M.  Really quick, good defensively and has made great strides offensively.  Both him and Greene can flat fly.  Its too bad Troy Trowloski will be off the board when the Sox pick cause he's gonna be a real good one.

You're thinking Cliff Pennington, the SS from texas A+ M. He's a switch hitter as well; high OBP, more walks than K's

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Well one thing Lucy has is a s***load more tools than Suzuki ever will.  Lucy flat out has a catchers build and is a freakish athlete behind the plate as opposed to most catchers.  The problem was he was raw and with that its going to take him some while to pan things out and of course there is a higher bust likelihood.

However, Lucy has the ability to be a very good catcher, both behind the plate and at the plate.  We'll just have to see.  I was also down on the move but the more I read and heard about Lucy the more I understood in a sense.  It was one of those high risk, high reward, high bust type of scenarios and I think since the Sox had so many picks they figured they could take that chance rather than play it safe. 

We'll see how it pans out, but I'm just trying to give the Sox perspective on this.  And its easy to 2nd guess after the fact, but I know there were a lot of people who didn't think Suzuki had the tools and sometimes tools get looked at a little too much, just like velocity does.

I'm not sure Mike Piazza isn't a better defensive catcher than Suzuki. The A's have drafted a lot of catchers the last few years and few of them have the tools to stick behind the plate at the MLB level. A boatload of LF'rs and borderline 1st basemen... no thanks...

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
You're thinking Cliff Pennington, the SS from texas A+ M. He's a switch hitter as well; high OBP, more walks than K's

Thats it. I'm awful with names so I typically remember the state they are in and try to come up with some whacko ass idea of the name in my head, LOL.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Link

The draft is what, a month away?  I'm really looking forward to it.

Craig Hansen might be a decent pick at #15, but I'm not sure how they'd feel on taking a reliever in the first round.  I'd assume that Hansen is one of those Huston Street/Chad Cordero types who makes it to the big club within a year or so?

I have read somewhere that Hansen probably won't get past the Mets at #9.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
I have read somewhere that Hansen probably won't get past the Mets at #9.

Yeah they are very, very high on him and are desperate for relief help, anyway possible. Of course it'll be interesting to see what they do, if they promote Strickland, and sign Danny Graves.

EDIT: Forget about Strickland. I see he declared himself a free agent today.

Edited by DBAH0

Catching in the first round doesn't look too hot this year. The two names that seem to pop up on every mock draft are Clement and Teagarden. Shades of Eric Munson and Mark Johnson do not make me excited.

Danks, brother of John who is in the Texas farm system, is a very interesting pick. He has said he's committed to attend Texas, but who knows when you throw a lot of money at him. I know he was in contention for BA's High School player of the year until Upton caught fire.

Personally, I don't know much about the draft (NW Indiana isn't exactly a hotbed, lol), but hopefully the Big Ten will have a few decent prospects come to Bloomington next year.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
Catching in the first round doesn't look too hot this year. The two names that seem to pop up on every mock draft are Clement and Teagarden. Shades of Eric Munson and Mark Johnson do not make me excited.

I'm not particularly thrilled with either... I'd rather take a flier on Chris Robinson out of Illinois in the 4th or 5th round if he is still available. IMO he's the best defensive catcher in the draft and he has average tools at the plate, but he makes the most of them...

Edited by Randar68