Red's Closer Released..Do the Sox pick him up?

Cubs Suck23

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
Last year Graves had 41 saves and a 3.95 ERA.  Now that ERA wasn't all that grand and there were better closers, but thats not too shabby.

Plus Graves is a lot like Keith Foulke...he doesn't rely on his fastball, he relies on a very good changeup.  Graves has had one bad year prior to this and that was when he was put into the starting rotation and couldn't handle it. 

Considering he's what 31 years old I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to do it again.

It is an intriguing thought for sure. I am just afaid we would have another Koch on our hands is all. He was still young too, but just didn't have it anymore.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
It is an intriguing thought for sure. I am just afaid we would have another Koch on our hands is all. He was still young too, but just didn't have it anymore.

Only one difference in my mind. The Sox were paying Koch a whole lot of money and would be paying Graves league minimum. If they can't fix it, he's gone. Its not like Viz is doing all that much better and Graves has a better track record than him.

Plus a decrease in velocity hurts a power pitcher a lot more than a finesse pitcher.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ May 23, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
14 and 1/3 innings; 9 hits and 6 walks allowed; 2 homers; ERA of 3.77.

I didn't think he was "pretty damn good". I thought he was a disappointment.

But I think Graves would be much worse.

I saw Scott Sullivan pitch in person in 3 games that season and he was booed off the mound each time. Based simply off that I have to say HELL NO.

From ESPN.com - Closer Danny Graves was let go by the Cincinnati Reds on Monday, a day after he made an obscene hand gesture at a fan taunting him over his latest poor performance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2066723

I don't know if I'm late posting this but this would be a great opportunity for the Sox to grab some cheap bullpen help, what do you guys think?

QUOTE(JimH @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
No team will want to pick up the rest of the $6M salary so it may take a while before he lands somewhere.

All he has to do is clear waivers. Than the Reds owe him the 6 million and if he signs with another team the Reds owe him the 6 mill - the league minimum. All the Sox would have to pay him is league minimum once he clears waivers (and he will).

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 24, 2005 -> 04:18 AM)
Foulke has a 7.29 ERA. Would you pass on him too?

Why yes, I would. Foulke is toast. He looks as good as Luisa this year.

Why go after Graves? He always puts runners on. The only difference now is that he's getting lit up like a xmas tree after putting guys on.

Bring up Baj. Give him a shot before we go looking outside the org.

If he can't cut it, there are plenty of available arms, and my search would start with Danys Baez in Tampa.

Why yes, I would. Foulke is toast. He looks as good as Luisa this year.

Why go after Graves? He always puts runners on. The only difference now is that he's getting lit up like a xmas tree after putting guys on.

Bring up Baj. Give him a shot before we go looking outside the org.

If he can't cut it, there are plenty of available arms, and my search would start with Danys Baez in Tampa.

Just an FYI -- Danny Baez has 3 blown saves in 7 save opportunites.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I shouldn't be), the Reds have 10 days to trade, release or outright him to the Minors.

Now, with Levine's reports of a Flubs trade for a left-handed out fielder and a RP on the horizon, I think you are going to see the Cubs land both Adam Dunn and Danny Graves...just something to keep an eye on.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 25, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I shouldn't be), the Reds have 10 days to trade, release or outright him to the Minors. 

Now, with Levine's reports of a Flubs trade for a left-handed out fielder and a RP on the horizon, I think you are going to see the Cubs land both Adam Dunn and Danny Graves...just something to keep an eye on.

It would have to be a hell of a package for the Reds to give up Dunn. They could quite easily get a guy like Pena or Kearns for much, much less.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
It would have to be a hell of a package for the Reds to give up Dunn. They could quite easily get a guy like Pena or Kearns for much, much less.

I know you aren't in Chicago to hear this guy's reports, but he said it's going to be a trade with a National League ballclub for a "big-name" left-handed OF and a RP.

A) Kearns is a righty

B ) Neither Kearns nor Willy Mo are considered "big-name"

C) With 13 HR already on the season, Dunn is a good power-number left-hander for the Cubs to consider

D) The Reds are basiclly out of contension, making anyone expendable and the team believed to make the trade with the Cubs is said to be scouting the minor league system right now, and lord knows the Cubs have a ton of talent in AA.

EDIT: Another name to watch is Cliff Floyd; yes, the Mets are still in contension, but Hendry has a tremdous relationship with Floyd and the Mets may find him expendible after checking out a guy like DuBois and some AA pitching.

Edited by AddisonStSox

It looks like Kenny may be interested in Graves...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...rtswhitesox-hed

The Sox have a chance to strengthen their bullpen even more now that Cincinnati designated closer Danny Graves for assignment.

The Reds have 10 days to trade or waive Graves, 31, who has 182 career saves. "We're always looking to get better," Williams said Monday night.

Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was stunned to learn of Graves' designation.

"Wow," he said before the game. "That's the kind of kid who has had a lot of success."

How about a Vizcaino for Graves swap with the Reds picking up most of Graves' contract? Otherwise, Graves will likely clear waivers and the Reds will get nothing for him.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 25, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
I know you aren't in Chicago to hear this guy's reports, but he said it's going to be a trade with a National League ballclub for a "big-name" left-handed OF and a RP. 

A) Kearns is a righty

B ) Neither Kearns nor Willy Mo are considered "big-name"

C) With 13 HR already on the season, Dunn is a good power-number left-hander for the Cubs to consider

D) The Reds are basiclly out of contension, making anyone expendable and the team believed to make the trade with the Cubs is said to be scouting the minor league system right now, and lord knows the Cubs have a ton of talent in AA.

EDIT: Another name to watch is Cliff Floyd; yes, the Mets are still in contension, but Hendry has a tremdous relationship with Floyd and the Mets may find him expendible after checking out a guy like DuBois and some AA pitching.

I just couldn't believe that the Reds would give up on Dunn. He's a guy who's not even in him prime yet, and is a fantastic OBP and power guy. Meh, well they did give Eric Milton a 25.5 million, 3 year deal.

The Mets could very well give up on Floyd now, since they now consider Mike Cameron a key player, and they'd want to get Victor Diaz playing everyday.