ANGELS MAKE US EAT SHIT

Jaret Wright, Chris George, Brian Anderson, are just a few pitchers that pull the paint the outside corner last year and let the sox hitters attempt to pull the ball like crazy.

This guy was even worse for us. He has a very hittable straight fastball. But he not only spots it on the outside corner but he has an automatic strikeout pitch with a sharp biting slider.

Our hitters did not adjust to the situation. After the first 2 times through the order maybe someone should of said, you know he seems to throw a lot of fastballs for first pitch strike to the righties on the outside corner. Maybe instead of waiting for 0-2, how about I shorten the swing up a bit and go back up the middle or to right. Ah the hell with that, just get a bigger bat like a 42 inch and see if I can reach it.

Edited by southsideirish71

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was initially :angry: after this loss.

However, after reading some of these responses, I can say I'm now :lol:

The loss was tough, no doubt. Some of you though, goodness. :rolly

The Sox have won just 13 games since 1995 in Anaheim. Remember I told you guys, this place has to be as bad as Oakland if not worse.

They are now 25 games under .500 against the Angels in Anaheim since 1995. Thats downright pathetic. Now you see why I shudder at the thought of these next 3 games. I'll be freaking exstatic if the Sox can just split this series.

And there really was no harm in this loss. Garland pitched good (had some tough luck hits) and well Santana was downright filthy. He was throwing strikes and like I said in the game log has tremendous stuff. He isn't one of the best pitching prospects in all of baseball for nothing.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 23, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
Because they understood that he throws very straight fastballs on the outside corner. Our guys are falling over trying to pull the ball.

Just watch the game...he didn't throw anything straight tonight. Not one pitch of his wasn't moving (mainly with sinking action) and he was painting the black. Santana pitched like he was capable and there is no harm in this loss. Its a tough loss for JG but Santana flat out earned it and pitched what I'll call the best pitching performance the Sox have faced all season (he was 10 times more nasty than Prior and Prior was nasty on Sunday).

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ May 23, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
Anyone remember the 2003 trip with 4 in Anaheim and 3 in Texas? They went 1-6. Why is it that this team cannot win out west? They absolutely need to split this series.

The thing I don't understand is that half this f***in team is new and still the same old problems. Matchup against a rookie = shutout, west coast trips = f***ed. :fight

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
Just watch the game...he didn't throw anything straight tonight.  Not one pitch of his wasn't moving (mainly with sinking action) and he was painting the black.  Santana pitched like he was capable and there is no harm in this loss.  Its a tough loss for JG but Santana flat out earned it and pitched what I'll call the best pitching performance the Sox have faced all season (he was 10 times more nasty than Prior and Prior was nasty on Sunday).

Methinks you over estimate this guy. Prior challenged us over the middle of the plate. If he read the scouting report and just painted the outside corner he might of had a no hitter against us. Our guys are pull baseball only hitters. Throw it over the center or middle of the plate and they will mash it out for a long home run. You paint the outside corner and they cannot adjust at all and attempt to pull the outside corner. Joe Credes approach tonight was embarrassing. Stepping in the bucket, head up trying to pull the outside pitch. I watched the game, the fastballs were pretty straight. They had some velocity on them. Everett on 3-1 not catching up to a fastball down the middle of the plate twice and then grounding out after he pulls the slow slider was silly also. Our hitters have to do a better job of adjusting. There is a particular way that most pitchers will attack the sox. Now the top shelf pitchers like Colon, Pior, Zambrano, Johan will pitch in. The rest especially the plus six era guys just hit the outside corner. Last year we watched as crap pitcher after crap pitcher would look like Cy Young because all they did was spot the fastball on the outside corner. How many times did our offense get 4 hit, 3 hit 2 hit by some plus six era guy. This game is about adjustments, after seeing a patter. Like first pitch fastball on the outside corner, take the bat off your shoulders and take a chance.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ May 23, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
The thing I don't understand is that half this f***in team is new and still the same old problems. Matchup against a rookie = shutout, west coast trips = f***ed.  :fight

How about trying to pull everything that gets thrown on the outer half?

How about letting strike one go by on a nice pitch down the pike and then waving at garbage low and away.

Its the same story every night.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ May 23, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
The thing I don't understand is that half this f***in team is new and still the same old problems. Matchup against a rookie = shutout, west coast trips = f***ed.  :fight

This is different. Rookie or not the guy pitched amazing. You couldn't throw the ball much better than he did today and hell the SOx lost. They didn't stand a chance in this one (it could of been closer) but they weren't going to get a run off Santana today.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 23, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
Methinks you over estimate this guy. Prior challenged us over the middle of the plate.  If he read the scouting report and just painted the outside corner he might of had a no hitter against us.  Our guys are pull baseball only hitters.  Throw it over the center or middle of the plate and they will mash it out for a long home run.  You paint the outside corner and they cannot adjust at all and attempt to pull the outside corner.  Joe Credes approach tonight was embarrassing.  Stepping in the bucket, head up trying to pull the outside pitch.  I watched the game, the fastballs were pretty straight.  They had some velocity on them.  Everett on 3-1 not catching up to a fastball down the middle of the plate twice and then grounding out after he pulls the slow slider was silly also.  Our hitters have to do a better job of adjusting.  There is a particular way that most pitchers will attack the sox.  Now the top shelf pitchers like Colon, Pior, Zambrano, Johan will pitch in.  The rest especially the plus six era guys just hit the outside corner.  Last year we watched as crap pitcher after crap pitcher would look like Cy Young because all they did was spot the fastball on the outside corner.  How many times did our offense get 4 hit, 3 hit 2 hit by some plus six era guy.  This game is about adjustments, after seeing a patter.  Like first pitch fastball on the outside corner, take the bat off your shoulders and take a chance.

His stuff was dynomite and he was painting the black. Now I won't disagree with you on Crede, I've officially given up on him as of tonight. The other issue was Everett (or should I say lame ass) and Timo were in the lineup. The two of them are worthless. Everett has been looking awful at the plate for some time and I'm sick of it. Rowand should officially be the new 3 hole hitter and Everett should be done once Frank is back (minus the ocassional ab's). Dye is back in gear and there is no reason for Everett to ever play more than one straight game in the field (unless he can get into a groove). If the Sox need an everyday outfielder they should look to AAA in Anderson.

However, while I am pencilling out those three schlubs on this team It still makes no difference, they ran into a guy that flat out dominated...case closed.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
This is different.  Rookie or not the guy pitched amazing.  You couldn't throw the ball much better than he did today and hell the SOx lost.  They didn't stand a chance in this one (it could of been closer) but they weren't going to get a run off Santana today.

If they approached this like they approach tough pitchers and tried to make contact and not over complicate things by trying to hit long shots. If on 3-1 Everett wasnt trying to park one, instead of making contact and moving the runner over.

I give the angels pitcher credit. He hit his spots on the outside corner. We will see a steady diet of this until our hitters learn that there is other parts of the park besides left and right field bleachers.

Santana pitched well but jeebus criminy, could our hitters have taken a worse approach at the plate? How many times will I have to watch Crede slump over to swing at a slider low and away before I gouge out my eyes with a spoon?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
If they approached this like they approach tough pitchers and tried to make contact and not over complicate things by trying to hit long shots. If on 3-1 Everett wasnt trying to park one, instead of making contact and moving the runner over. 

I give the angels pitcher credit.  He hit his spots on the outside corner. We will see a steady diet of this until our hitters learn that there is other parts of the park besides left and right field bleachers.

It wasn't that hard to dominate this lineup.

Step 1: Throw a first pitch fastball. They never swing at that.

Step 2: Throw offspeed crap low and away the rest of the AB. If they dont pull it to the left side they will K and look bad doing it.

Step 3: Walk back to the dugout, have a cup of Gatorade and thank the guy who handed you the scouting report.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 23, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)

I give the angels pitcher credit.  He hit his spots on the outside corner. We will see a steady diet of this until our hitters learn that there is other parts of the park besides left and right field bleachers.

Everett is lousy and has been for 90% of this season. The past month I could count on one hand the type of quality ab's he's had, one of which actually came late in todays game when he worked a full count and fouled off a good number of pitches. It was what I'd deem a productive out. Of course to me he's lost some mustard on his swing and can't catch the fastball like he once could.

Everett, Crede, Timo...3 guys who in my mind shouldn't be starting. Now Everett is better than some options, but no one is going to tell me that Brian Anderson isn't capable of hitting .245 with a little power. The only thing he doesn't have is the experience and veteran know how of a guy like Carl at this point.

Plus Anderson is one hell of a defender. Luckily he's tearing the cover off the ball in AAA and could be a definate option later in the year (if he 's not dealt for a 3rd baseman).

All that being said, this team can win with those holes, and if Frank comes back into close to decent form it will be one more step forward.

It wasn't that hard to dominate this lineup.

Step 1:  Throw a first pitch fastball.  They never swing at that.

Step 2: Throw offspeed crap low and away the rest of the AB.  If they dont pull it to the left side they will K and look bad doing it.

Step 3:  Walk back to the dugout, have a cup of Gatorade and thank the guy who handed you the scouting report.

Well, I wouldn't say that's accurate because Step 2 alone could get Crede out.

I swear some of you guys must cream yourselves every time we get a hit to the opposite field. That and the genius scouting report on Santana of him being a "crappy pitcher" has me believing you guys were just waiting for a chance like this to spew all this built up hatred for pull hitters.

From TV, I couldn't tell how "hittable" Santana's fastball was but maybe you can tell me since you seem to have faced him before. I won't argue that some of these guys' approaches suck (see Crede, Uribe) but jeez. Yeah I guess corpseball is back because we finally got shutout by a pitcher with wicked stuff on the West Coast.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
Everett is lousy and has been for 90% of this season.  The past month I could count on one hand the type of quality ab's he's had, one of which actually came late in todays game when he worked a full count and fouled off a good number of pitches.  It was what I'd deem a productive out.  Of course to me he's lost some mustard on his swing and can't catch the fastball like he once could. 

Everett, Crede, Timo...3 guys who in my mind shouldn't be starting.  Now Everett is better than some options, but no one is going to tell me that Brian Anderson isn't capable of hitting .245 with a little power.  The only thing he doesn't have is the experience and veteran know how of a guy like Carl at this point. 

Plus Anderson is one hell of a defender.  Luckily he's tearing the cover off the ball in AAA and could be a definate option later in the year (if he 's not dealt for a 3rd baseman). 

All that being said, this team can win with those holes, and if Frank comes back into close to decent form it will be one more step forward.

Everett cracked me the hell up tonight. Watching him swing was like watching a 5 year old in the "fast" batting cage. It was totally brutal.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
I swear some of you guys must cream yourselves every time we get a hit to the opposite field.  That and the genius scouting report on Santana of him being a "crappy pitcher" has me believing you guys were just waiting for a chance like this to spew all this built up hatred for pull hitters.

From TV, I couldn't tell how "hittable" Santana's fastball was but maybe you can tell me since you seem to have faced him before.  I won't argue that some of these guys' approaches suck (see Crede, Uribe) but jeez.  Yeah I guess corpseball is back because we finally got shutout by a pitcher with wicked stuff on the West Coast.

Rob Deer and Jose Valentin are examples of great pull hitters.

Name a 300 hitter with good power that only pulls the ball. In fact name a pull only hitter that hits above 280.

Most good to great hitters in baseball hit the ball where its pitched. Thats what makes them great. If you pull only and even better announce in the papers I only pull the baseball do you really think you are going to see too many pitches in.

OUTSIDE AND OUTSIDE ONLY.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 23, 2005 -> 09:07 PM)
I swear some of you guys must cream yourselves every time we get a hit to the opposite field.  That and the genius scouting report on Santana of him being a "crappy pitcher" has me believing you guys were just waiting for a chance like this to spew all this built up hatred for pull hitters.

From TV, I couldn't tell how "hittable" Santana's fastball was but maybe you can tell me since you seem to have faced him before.  I won't argue that some of these guys' approaches suck (see Crede, Uribe) but jeez.  Yeah I guess corpseball is back because we finally got shutout by a pitcher with wicked stuff on the West Coast.

Well personally I creamed myself when Konerko jammed himself to go opposite field. When Konerko is doing that you know he's very close to breaking out. I absolutely love it when a guy is going opposite field because when he's doing that he's going to start getting pitched inside and get pitches to drive.

That being said it wouldn't of mattered today. Santana's fastball had juice on it and wasn't straight. Plus when your hitting your spots its gonna be tough regardless of what kind of stuff you have.

Nothing the Sox could of done with this one, except have JG throw a shutout too :lol:

However, I do think its quite obvious (even for me and I love Crede) to notice that Crede flat out won't cut it in the majors. He may turn into a .240 hitter with 20 HR's but thats about as good as it will get unless he makes some drastic changes to his swing. Slow, slow, slow.

And than there is Everett who has looked terrible this entire month. I don't have the splits, but all I have is what I've watched and I've seen him chase way too many pitches down and out of the zone because he's guessing fastball on everything cause its the only way he can actually catch up to the fastball. Now I think Everetts a good guy, in fact I think he's hillarious, but right now he looks totally lost and its going to be nice to have Frank back (and I dont' even like this Frank Thomas...I liked the Frank of old that would hit for AVG). This one is a slow plodding DH. Luckily he has an amazing eye and some power but those just aren't the type of players I personally like (what else can I say, lol).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
Well personally I creamed myself when Konerko jammed himself to go opposite field.  When Konerko is doing that you know he's very close to breaking out.  I absolutely love it when a guy is going opposite field because when he's doing that he's going to start getting pitched inside and get pitches to drive. 

BINGO!!!!

Hitting the outside pitch makes them pitch you inside. That is the pitch you drive and pull for power. Last year in Cleveland there was a game were we scored 14 runs. In the first two innings they tried that paint the outside corner crap. Hit after hit was to right and to center. Then the pitcher came in and homers started raining. Thats the approach they should have, keep the opposing pitcher honest.

The following game after that, they went back to pull only and scored 1 run on a few hits.

Pauly pulling an inside pitch. No problem with that. Pauly reaching for a pitch on the outside black and trying to pull it. What is he really going to do with that pitch besides roll it over for a ground out or pop it up.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
BINGO!!!!

Hitting the outside pitch makes them pitch you inside.  That is the pitch you drive and pull for power.  Last year in Cleveland there was a game were we scored 14 runs.  In the first two innings they tried that paint the outside corner crap.  Hit after hit was to right and to center.  Then the pitcher came in and homers started raining.  Thats the approach they should have,  keep the opposing pitcher honest. 

The following game after that, they went back to pull only and scored 1 run on a few hits. 

Pauly pulling an inside pitch.  No problem with that.  Pauly reaching for a pitch on the outside black and trying to pull it.  What is he really going to do with that pitch besides roll it over for a ground out or pop it up.

Its amazing how observant fans can identify things like this but certain hitting coaches, who have the luxury of film and scouting reports, and a good many of the players cannot.

Lol, after a tough loss like this I can't look at soxtalk and watch everyone b**** because it gets me more upset so I don't come back until the next day but today I had to talk about it.

Hopefully tomorrow Buehrle can keep his streak of atleast 6 innings pitched and also lower that ERA a little so he can get some good consideration for the AS game.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
Lol, after a tough loss like this I can't look at soxtalk and watch everyone b**** because it gets me more upset so I don't come back until the next day but today I had to talk about it.

Hopefully tomorrow Buehrle can keep his streak of atleast 6 innings pitched and also lower that ERA a little so he can get some good consideration for the AS game.

MB = money. If we get him a couple of runs and dont s*** on ourselves defensively we'll be fine.

Sometimes people just have to vent after a disgusting loss like this one and this happens to be how its done.

Timo Perez cannot play CF. If he is in there Pods needs to play CF at least he has some range.

Crede is rocketting back to last year. The batting cages, the new swing. I think Borchard has a prettier swing that Cruddy.

Everett has to be hurt or something. He is very late on the fastball, even when he knows its coming.

When did we sign Mike Jackson(aka Viz). Same feeling as last year with this guy. When he comes in, he is going to get hit hard. Ozzie keeps marching him out there.

Iguchi, this guy just hits. Adjustments all the time. Walker better not learn japanese.

Uribe made comments before the season about him improving on his power numbers. He needs to realize that we got rid of Jose "only go for the homer" Valentin and we dont need a younger version. Make contact and stop swinging for the fences. He needs to get on and swing for doubles.

Pablo should be playing for Crede tomorrow. Widger can DH for Everett.

Gload and Thomas need to get healthy and back up on the team. We need both of their balanced bats. This team has too many similiar hitters.