A Sox trade brewing....

beck72

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:41 AM)
I'm looking at Polanco as a replacement.  I don't think they'll bench Crede for him, permanently.  Polanco is decent, but he's on the downside of his career, so his career stats are not what you expect in the future.  I know Ozuna is 30 or so years old, but I just don't believe Polanco would be enough of an upgrade to justify trading 3 players and adding his salary. 

Getting rid of Timo would be a bonus though.

If the Sox made that deal, I think that Crede would be a part of it and if Tracey was involved it would be a larger scale move in the sense of Billy Wanger (maybe...Sox seem to be playing for this year and Wagner has a ridiculous contract but will be free at seasons end).

If you could work out a Crede/Tracey/One More Good prospect and than a mid tier guy like Diaz/Munoz for Polanco, Wagner and a few million in cash I'd pull the trigger.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
If the Sox made that deal, I think that Crede would be a part of it and if Tracey was involved it would be a larger scale move in the sense of Billy Wanger (maybe...Sox seem to be playing for this year and Wagner has a ridiculous contract but will be free at seasons end). 

If you could work out a Crede/Tracey/One More Good prospect and than a mid tier guy like Diaz/Munoz for Polanco, Wagner and a few million in cash I'd pull the trigger.

...so quick to send off Crede. Joe is this team's third-baseman. Does anyone really foresee Crede playing for another team by season's end? I sure don't.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:53 AM)
Also keep in mind that there's a clause in Clemens's contract that stipulates that if he's traded from the Astros, he's owed another $3 million.  So if a team wants him they're not paying 7 or 8 million, they're paying like $11 million.

And in my mind it would be well worth a world series ring with the way he's pitching this year. That being said, I don't think Houston will be dealing him.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
...so quick to send off Crede.  Joe is this team's third-baseman.  Does anyone really foresee Crede playing for another team by season's end?  I sure don't.

Yes, I guarantee he will be. He's a FA at the end of the year and his swing his god awful. Crede shouldn't be the starter but the Sox are stuck cause they don't have any other options.

Crede still has value though and him packaged with a prospect or two could get you more than just a stop gap 3rd baseman.

I'm done with Crede, absolutely done with him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
Yes, I guarantee he will be.  He's a FA at the end of the year and his swing his god awful.  Crede shouldn't be the starter but the Sox are stuck cause they don't have any other options. 

Crede still has value though and him packaged with a prospect or two could get you more than just a stop gap 3rd baseman. 

Jas, I see what you're saying, but why would a team be willing to trade for a guy with White Sox self-admitted swing issues if he's going to be a FA in the off-season anyway.

It just dosen't make sense. The Sox are stuck with Joe in 2005. Unless he nets another 3B, trading Joe just doesn't make any sense.

I'm just awe-struck by this Crede-trade talk. Bite the bullet and hope he produces some form of offense in this, his last year with the Sox. Am I alone in these thoughts?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Yes, I guarantee he will be.  He's a FA at the end of the year and his swing his god awful.  Crede shouldn't be the starter but the Sox are stuck cause they don't have any other options. 

he is not arbitration eligble?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
Jas, I see what you're saying, but why would a team be willing to trade for a guy with White Sox self-admitted swing issues if he's going to be a FA in the off-season anyway. 

It just dosen't make sense.  The Sox are stuck with Joe in 2005.  Unless he nets another 3B, trading Joe just doesn't make any sense.

I'm just awe-struck by this Crede-trade talk.  Bite the bullet and hope he produces some form of offense in this, his last year with the Sox.  Am I alone in these thoughts?

Yes, when your contending you don't just bite the bullet. Crede has value because a team could get him, see whether they can fix his swing and than offer him a deal and get him signed. I highly doubt he's going to be getting big money so why not.

Plus he's a guy that could grow in with a team who still think he's got some talent and he does have talent. He's just never going to go anywhere unless someone really adjusts his swing.

If a team was getting Crede, a prospect like Tracey, and than a guy like Munoz/Diaz they are getting two guys that would probably be on the major league team from day one (Crede/Munoz or Diaz) and than a guy with good potential.

Now I wouldn't give up all that for Polanco, but if you get yourself another quality player in return I would.

QUOTE(quickman @ May 24, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
he is not arbitration eligble?

I was thinking he had one more year too. Personally I think Joe will be gone after this year, but not before. The thing is, if he hits too well, we won't want to pay him a lot, and if he doesn't hit, we will get rid of him. Crede isn't long for CHicago with Borass as his agent.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
I assumed he was, but lately I've seen everyone posting that he's a free agent so I just assumed I was wrong and that he doesn't have any more arb left.

I'm about 95 percent sure he is arbitration eligible. Anyways, I'm not giving up on Joe yet but if kenny could land Polanco I'd be all for it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
Yes, when your contending you don't just bite the bullet.  Crede has value because a team could get him, see whether they can fix his swing and than offer him a deal and get him signed.  I highly doubt he's going to be getting big money so why not. 

Plus he's a guy that could grow in with a team who still think he's got some talent and he does have talent.  He's just never going to go anywhere unless someone really adjusts his swing. 

If a team was getting Crede, a prospect like Tracey, and than a guy like Munoz/Diaz they are getting two guys that would probably be on the major league team from day one (Crede/Munoz or Diaz) and than a guy with good potential. 

Now I wouldn't give up all that for Polanco, but if you get yourself another quality player in return I would.

In a pennant race, a team is always looking to better themselves, but I just don't see a Crede deal being done, let alone trading him for !?Polanco!? As frustrated as I am with Crede, at least you know what you have trotting out to the hot corner every game.

"Agree to disagree."

anchorman.jpg

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
So .. would Houston eat 3 million to save 8 million?

With Clemens, I think the answer is absolutely not, for 1 simple reason. Clemens doesn't cost them a dime.

Last year, the Stros made a fortune by having Clemens; he brought fans to the ballpark in droves. Right now, they don't have a good team, so they won't have a pennant chase or playoff games to bring in the fans. In other words, having Clemens is about the only thing they have to sell Tickets. He is their single best draw, and the Astros wouldn't have signed him for $17 mil without knowing they'd get more than that back on their investment.

If someone wants to get Clemens, that team will be picking up his salary + the 3 million and also finding a way to give Houston a few players. Otherwise, the Astros have no reason to part with him.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
Not giving up on Cruddy?  How many crappy seasons will it take for you to?

It'll take more then 2 months for me to give up on him this year. He looked awesome the first month and right now he looks awful at the plate, doing the same s*** he did last year. I'm willing to give him some more time to see if he can come out of this funk he's in.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ May 24, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
Thta would be a bad deal because Josh Fields is an up and coming star. Better hitter than Crede and a an average fielder. He is the future and they dont need Polanco.

Everyone said the exact same thing about Crede when he was in the minors, how'd that work out for us?

Success at the major league level is a huge trump card over anything someone accomplishes in the minors.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
Not giving up on Cruddy?  How many crappy seasons will it take for you to?

Don't get me wrong, I think Joe is a helpless case. Let it be known, I have given up on Crede. What you see is what you get. I just don't see him making a turn around. At best, I think you're looking at Joe Randa.

However, I don't endorse dealing him because:

A) He is a White Sox staple at 3B--always seems healthy

B ) He is an above average defender

C) Will Polanco's presence and offensive production trump Crede's? I think not. Polanco's defense will not equate to Joe's and I fail to see him making or breaking a playoff roster with the best record in baseball