A Sox trade brewing....

beck72

My opinion is you add to your team, without giving up many if any on your current roster and certainly not any who start regularly. We are adding to the nucleus not subtracting. I think its wise to look for a trade but it won't include crede unless a bonafide superstar is coming as part of a trade to change the whole aura of this team to take them to the next level. Polanco minus crede does not get us much closer even though crede blows. I would think a middle relief and middle infielder is more the norm to add to this team.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll take more then 2 months for me to give up on him this year.  He looked awesome the first month and right now he looks awful at the plate, doing the same s*** he did last year.  I'm willing to give him some more time to see if he can come out of this funk he's in.

Ever heard of a small sample size? Look at his career numbers -- .254 AVG / .303 OBP / .428 SLG / .731 OPS. Podsednik has a higher career OPS (.739) and he has no power. That's just pitiful.

Edited by Jabroni

He was our best hitter in April, period.  Is this is a current slump he is in or is he reverting back to what he was last year, I just don't know, I'd like to give him another month to see which way it is.

I think you mean, "or is he reverting back to his career numbers."

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
He was our best hitter in April, period.  Is this is a current slump he is in or is he reverting back to what he was last year, I just don't know, I'd like to give him another month to see which way it is.

Rest assured, you'll get your month. ;)

Joe ain't going anywhere.

Interesting statement: on the ESPN Insider Rumor Central, they are stating that the Phillies want to try to include Ryan Howard in a deal for Placido Polanco. They speculate that the Dodgers are a prime destination, and mentioned the Cubs before throwing in the Howard statement. I love that idea for the Sox, although it will depend on what it costs us. I wouldn't touch B-Mac, Sweeney, Fields, or Gio, but for those two guys I wouldn't complain if they dealt any other prospects.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)

Earlier in the year his hips werent flying open early and he was keeping back. Now he is flying open and is coming off the ball. This is trademark Joe over the last few years. I think the Batting Cages and the extra batting time was good, but he is going to go with what comes natural. And that is flying open with a long looping swing.

I am sure you will get the rest of the year.

I hope we are not sitting in August with 7 out of 9 guys hitting below 270. Our pitching better be lights out for the rest of the year.

QUOTE(marsh @ May 24, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
Everyone said the exact same thing about Crede when he was in the minors, how'd that work out for us?

Success at the major league level is a huge trump card over anything someone accomplishes in the minors.

So because one guy doesn't work out, that means no one else will? Come on.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
So because one guy doesn't work out, that means no one else will?  Come on.

No. I think he may have meant that you shouldn't dump a servicable player for a "sure thing" unless he proves himself first.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 24, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
It just dosen't make sense.  The Sox are stuck with Joe in 2005.  Unless he nets another 3B, trading Joe just doesn't make any sense.

I'm just awe-struck by this Crede-trade talk.  Bite the bullet and hope he produces some form of offense in this, his last year with the Sox.  Am I alone in these thoughts?

I do think Crede will stay. Yet the sox need a better option for both 3b and SS when Uribe and Joe both go through long, embarassing slumps that give the sox two easy outs day in and day out. With a veteran guy who can do the little things that the Sox need [make contact, be a #2 type hitter, play solid, dependable defense], Uribe and Crede could stay fresh at least. IMO, keeping these guys fresh is the best way to get them to perform up to their capabilities.

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 24, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
I do think Crede will stay. Yet the sox need a better option for both 3b and SS when Uribe and Joe both go through long, embarassing slumps that give the sox two easy outs day in and day out. With a veteran guy who can do the little things that the Sox need [make contact, be a #2 type hitter, play solid, dependable defense], Uribe and Crede could stay fresh at least. IMO, keeping these guys fresh is the best way to get them to perform up to their capabilities.

Couldn't have said it better. You're exactly right in what you say. We need a back-up for the left side of the infield that can fill in for a few games at a time when Uribe or Crede are struggling. Ozuna is a nice bench player, but I don't think he's a legitimate option to start 4 games in a week at 3b or SS.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 24, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
Couldn't have said it better.  You're exactly right in what you say.  We need a back-up for the left side of the infield that can fill in for a few games at a time when Uribe or Crede are struggling.  Ozuna is a nice bench player, but I don't think he's a legitimate option to start 4 games in a week at 3b or SS.

I think your right about Ozuna as an every day player, but I like the idea of lighting fires under Crede's and Uribe's asses. Let them sit a stretch of games so they know they need to produce. Especially Crede who should have caught that great throw from Perez last night.

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ May 24, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
I think your right about Ozuna as an every day player, but I like the idea of lighting fires under Crede's and Uribe's asses. Let them sit a stretch of games so they know they need to produce. Especially Crede who should have caught that great throw from Perez last night.

Juan will be fine, he's just streaky, in the next week or so he'll probably get hot again.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
So because one guy doesn't work out, that means no one else will?  Come on.

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is the percentage of minor leaguers that go on to become all-star caliber players at the major league level is miniscule. So if you have a chance to add a proven solid major leaguer, you don't not do the deal because of a minor leaguer who is a huge question mark as to what they will actually do at the major league level.

Be years end you will wish we had..

For $9 million a year? Uhhh, no. Uribe has been in a massive slump lately and his numbers are still just as good as Cabrera's up to this point in the season. And Uribe will earn a third of what Cabrera will.

Edited by Jabroni

For $9 million a year?  Uhhh, no.  Uribe has been in a massive slump lately and his numbers are still just as good as Cabrera's up to this point in the season.  And Uribe will earn a third of what Cabrera will.

So instead lets trade for a 4mil suck ass bench player to go along with Carla 4 mil dollars.. Brillant, while we are at it can we trade for Giambi as well I want to make sure the Sox have a bench full overpaid hacks..

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 24, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
I'm pretty sure they were scouting someone from the Cub's. Someone pulled the trigger on this thread to quick. Crede is going to be at 3B(unless injury occurs) all season long. Get used to it fellas.

As the one who started this thread, it looks more like the case scouts were there for the Cubs. Yet if the Phillies and cubs are trading soon, its likely a blockbuster [something along the lines of Patterson and Hawkins and a AA guy or two for Abreu and etc]. Polanco likely wouldn't be part of the deal.

Yet the premise that the Sox could use Polanco [and that he'd be available] still holds.

So instead lets trade for a 4mil suck ass bench player to go along with Carla 4 mil dollars.. Brillant, while we are at it can we trade for Giambi as well I want to make sure the Sox have a bench full overpaid hacks..

Everett has done decently enough as our DH with Frank on the DL. Who would you have had as our DH to start the season?

Edited by Jabroni