Carl Everett

jasonxctf

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ May 24, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
what's going on with this guy?

2 months ago i was thinking that i'd rather have him at DH over Frank. After his .189 May batting average I can't wait for Frank or even Ross Gload to get back!!!

My guess would be he is hurt. Groin, wrist, something is bothering him.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ May 24, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
i know it sounds crazy but to me it looks like he doesn't even want to be out there. it seems like he doesn't care.

Considering the paper has a count down to when your replacement arrives from rehab, I wouldnt blame him.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ May 24, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
i know it sounds crazy but to me it looks like he doesn't even want to be out there. it seems like he doesn't care.

I disagree. He loves this team and he wants to stay here. Have you noticed during the games that when he would wave and miss at a fastball he'd grimace a little and then look at his right hand? He did that several times during last nights game and it leads me to believe something is, as was suggested in this thread, bothering him injury wise.

I disagree.  He loves this team and he wants to stay here.  Have you noticed during the games that when he would wave and miss at a fastball he'd grimace a little and then look at his right hand?  He did that several times during last nights game and it leads me to believe something is, as was suggested in this thread, bothering him injury wise.

I would love to play for the Cubs if you paid me 4 million a year to look like a fool at the plate.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ May 24, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
I would love to play for the Cubs if you paid me 4 million a year to look like a fool at the plate.

Carl is a better hitter than that and you know it. Its pretty obvious to me, and would be to you if you bothered to watch the games, that he's hurt.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 24, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
I disagree.  He loves this team and he wants to stay here.  Have you noticed during the games that when he would wave and miss at a fastball he'd grimace a little and then look at his right hand?  He did that several times during last nights game and it leads me to believe something is, as was suggested in this thread, bothering him injury wise.

I was gonna say the same thing Nuke. He's brought his right had off of the bat a number of times while swinging left handed. It looks like his lead wrist is bothering him. it doesn't seem to be buggin him while he's hitting right handed, hence the bizzare splits this year.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
I watch the games, I also watch him live...Never like him as a player, never gives it his all when he is on the field.

Funny, I'd almost say the exact opposite of him. He's been pretty crappy of late, but I'd hardly attribute it to a lack of effort. Even in his nuttier days, the guy has been known to give his all in the field.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 24, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
I was gonna say the same thing Nuke. He's brought his right had off of the bat a number of times while swinging left handed. It looks like his lead wrist is bothering him. it doesn't seem to be buggin him while he's hitting right handed, hence the bizzare splits this year.

Rex Hudler was mentioning this all day yesterday saying how Everett kept looking at his hand when he'd get out as if it was bothering him. I know one thing, he's cheating to catch up to the fastball (still can't do it) and because of that he's way out in front of every off speed pitch down and away.

It could definately be his wrist though.

It definitely is his wrist. Like GHC and others said, he's pulling his lead (right) hand off the bat when batting from the left side. Hence the L/R splits that are opposite of his career numbers.

Guest JimH
His right wrist has been a problem for him since spring training and has flared up recently. He is very injury-prone. His wrist, shoulder, knee or hammy can go at any moment.

Yes, I have him in the Juan Gonzalez pool.

Guest JimH

How about that at bat in the first inning ... talk about giving 100%, great approach and fouls off some tough pitches and then drills a HR.

Everett is a professional, he just showed why.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
How about that at bat in the first inning ... talk about giving 100%, great approach and fouls off some tough pitches and then drills a HR.

He looked locked in the whole time. A great effort there and he got the desired result.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)

As long as Carl is healthy the guy can hit. He's had some struggles as of late but he'll get it back together, he's just to good of a hitter not to.

Guest JimH
As long as Carl is healthy the guy can hit.  He's had some struggles as of late but he'll get it back together, he's just to good of a hitter not to.

I agree. My point was more about the comment in this thread that he doesn't give 100%. His reputation is he plays very hard and plays hurt and gives his all.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
I agree.  My point was more about the comment in this thread that he doesn't give 100%. His reputation is he plays very hard and plays hurt and gives his all.

Oh, I completely agree. Carl always gives his all, with Everett I'll always remember in 03 how he was the only one hitting the darn ball down the stretch, while everyone else in the lineup just couldn't hit, Carl was single handedly giving the offense some life.