Trade Revisited

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(BuehrleTheAce @ May 24, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
Crede, Viz, and Shingo for Chavez? I'd do it in a heartbeat. If Oakland wanted a prospect too, then I want Huston Street thrown in.

Street thrown in? Beane would laugh at that. Street wouldn't be traded for Shingo AND Viz. Teams don't throw away their best players for another team's trash which Crede, Viz, and Shingo are right now. Also, KW won't deal from his beloved bullpen, unless its Cotts.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH
Does anyone else recall that when KW was talking about Hudson/Mulder with Beane, that Beane wasn't interested in BMac?  I thought I remembered that...

Anyways, Chavez is a complete stud.  Gold Gloves galore and he's just entering his prime.  He may be struggling but its not easy to be THE man on a very weak offense and an overall bad team.  Not to mention hitting in OAK.  Chavez could do mad things in our lineup and in the Cell. 

Before the season, JR/KW repeated that there IS money to spend to pick up additional talent.  With attendance up already this year, and the Sox possibly on the verge of breaking through, I really don't think $8 million more to the payroll is a stretch.

With all that said, if I were KW, I would do everything possible to keep BMac.  If that meant giving up Anderson and Tracey then so be it.  With Byrnes rumors rampid throughout the off season, I could really see Beane wanting either Sweeney or Anderson.  Beane got his deals done for pitching prospects.  To unload his best offensive player on a bad offensive team, you gotta think he'd be looking for mostly offense in return, no?  Anderson might very well be his target.

I would LOVE Chavez...absolutely love him.

Good post, interesting thoughts here.

If I were running the club, there are only two guys I would not consider trading. Those two are BMac and Ryan Sweeney. Everything else is in play.

I like Brian Anderson a great deal, as well as some other prospects but if there's a way to add an impact guy and not move BMac/Sweeney, they will consider it I'm sure. That said ... I'm not seeing this coming to fruition.

What if Baj was traded? Given the injury and inconsistencies of Dotel, maybe they could want him as a closer. I know all of us want him up here. But if we had a choice between him and BMac getting traded, which would it be?

Guest JimH
What if Baj was traded? Given the injury and inconsistencies of Dotel, maybe they could want him as a closer.  I know all of us want him up here. But if we had a choice between him and BMac getting traded, which would it be?

There's no question. McCarthy has tremendous trade value whereas Bajenaru might bring a decent reserve or a prospect in exchange.

I'd love to see Baj get a chance up here but suspect it would take an injury.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ May 24, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
What if Baj was traded? Given the injury and inconsistencies of Dotel, maybe they could want him as a closer.  I know all of us want him up here. But if we had a choice between him and BMac getting traded, which would it be?

No. They have other options to close instead. One would be street another could be duchscherer.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ May 24, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
Street thrown in?  Beane would laugh at that.  Street wouldn't be traded for Shingo AND Viz.  Teams don't throw away their best players for another team's trash which Crede, Viz, and Shingo are right now.  Also, KW won't deal from his beloved bullpen, unless its Cotts.

Yea the Street comment was a stretch. However adding a BMac, Anderson, and/or Sweeney to that trade would be quite a bit IMO.

I bet Guillen wants to choke Viz after every run he lets cross the plate, therefore I would think he and Kenny would be looking to dump him, but not leave too big a void. Shingo's days, I think, are numbered on the South Side. He still has value but for some reason he's not the same as he was last year. Perhaps hitters have figured him out, or he's not locating like he did last year. Who knows? I think with the confidence Ozzie has in Hermy and Marte, Shingo is expendable.

As to KW's beloved bullpen, outside of the 3 guys I've mentioned in a positive light, I think you may be underestimating him. But we'll see...

If we are trading McCarthy, we have to get the best player available.

I really like Chavez, and would probably make the trade provided the A's give us a prospect back.

You would think with a guy like Bmac Kenny can pretty much name his price.

I used to love Chavez, but he just has not picked it up at all this year. It might be that the A's offense is so terrible that its impacted him, but even at his worst I expected more than this.

The question is whether Blalock, Wright, etc could be had for the same price and are significantly cheaper.

SB

QUOTE(sircaffey @ May 24, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Does anyone else recall that when KW was talking about Hudson/Mulder with Beane, that Beane wasn't interested in BMac?  I thought I remembered that...

That was correct. Most people thought that BMac wouldn't be ready for the majors in 2005 so Oakland didn't look for guys a yr away. But after his stellar spring, things changed

Joe Randa could be had for so, so much cheaper and the Sox would not have to give up any outfield prospects or an A pitching prospect. You could easily see a Tracey for Randa trade going down, and Randa wouldn't kill team payroll for years to come.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
Joe Randa could be had for so, so much cheaper and the Sox would not have to give up any outfield prospects or an A pitching prospect. You could easily see a Tracey for Randa trade going down, and Randa wouldn't kill team payroll for years to come.

How's Randa's defense, though?

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 24, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)

A Chavez deal would obviously not be a stopgap trade. If the Sox feel that Konerko will be looking for 10-11 mil in the offseason then hello Chavez, bye bye Konerko...

Guest JimH
question: can Josh Fields play 1st base for the White Sox in 06? I realize it wastes his arm but just curious if he would hit enough to take over for Konsucko so soon with all of the bad FA 1st basemen out there

Fields is struggling big time at AA as we speak, very doubtful he'll be ready for '06, either offensively or defensively ... whether it's 1B or 3B.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 24, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
question: can Josh Fields play 1st base for the White Sox in 06? I realize it wastes his arm but just curious if he would hit enough to take over for Konsucko so soon with all of the bad FA 1st basemen out there

Josh Fields flat out won't play in the bigs in '06 unless he starts to get his s*** together and starts raking.

Contrary to what management has told us, this team isn't betting the farm this year. If you look at contract statuses, the pitching staff and many others are locked in for several more years. I'd rather have the Sox keep McCarthy due to Hernandez' awesome abaility to get injuries rather than getting Chavez. If management decides to let Contreras and Konerko pursue free agency, as they should, that would free up enough money to fill in the corners nicely through FA or other means.

QUOTE(BuehrleTheAce @ May 24, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
Crede, Viz, and Shingo for Chavez? I'd do it in a heartbeat. If Oakland wanted a prospect too, then I want Huston Street thrown in.

First off id like to say your crazy... Crede Viz and shingo for Chavez is just so dumb its not even funny.

2nd off I much rather us trade for a guy like Randa who wouldnt even require a good prospect I bet they would trade Randa for like Baj and Crede.... that way Baj gets a chance in the majors and we lose Crede.... Randa is also the perfect stop-gap for Fields... Randa can stay another 2-3 years until Fields is ready.

Id love Chavez dont get me wrong, but B-Mac is too important to this team, not because he is our top prospect but because he is our 6th starter..... BTW I think Texas is going to hit him pretty hard hopefully everyone wont jump off his bandwagon than.