Trade Revisited

AddisonStSox

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
You're being blinded by your dislike of the player.

To be blunt, you don't know what you're talking about here.  Crede won't get you a solid utility player?  That's all I needed to read.

Cincy would make that deal all day long, and the White Sox wouldn't make that deal all day long.

You are the voice of reason in this discussion. Is there a JimH support group? Sign me up.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 24, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
Personally I believe the White Sox are looking to add to their bullpen and possibly tweaking the bench situation, nothing more.  But stranger things have happened.

i completely agree I think this chavez thing is nice fodder. the sox should be looking for bullpen and Infield help. I do not think we should get rid of BMAC. I am the first to dump these minor leaguers but BMAC is needed at least this year.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 24, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
Per ESPN Radio 1000's Mac, Jurko, and Harry:

Whispers of a deal surrounding Joe Crede and Brandon McCarthy for Eric Chavez have been revisited.  Perhaps this has actually picked up a little steam as Kenny may or may not have been in contact with A's GM Billy "I can do anything with three twenty-game winners" Beane.

Only purpose this trade scenario serves is for discussion on an internet message board.

I would love to hear the justification Williams would spew forth IF he were to include McCarthy in a package for Chavez. "Prospects are prospects. After 85 years of futility, winning now is our organizations highest priority." :bang

Then when McCarthy fills out his 6'7 frame, throws 94+ mph, and solidifies the Oakland starting rotation, we'll be scowling Beane for ripping Williams off. Again.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
Here is something think simply from the money side, Harden/Chavez---McCarthy/Crede/Anderson.  Is this a total cub trade?  Think of the money again.

Theres no way in hell that Beane would do that deal. If we did that, wow, that would be an unbelievable deal for us. Harden IMO is worth more than Mccarthy and Anderson combined and Chavez is obviously much better than Crede. No way that Beane trades his new ace

THis is totally out of left field, way out there... what if Mcarthy was a show case against the Cubs to set up this trade. El duque is scheduled top come back friday and was compeltely reluctant to go on the DL, in addition the sox were so secretive on this whole BMAC thing, plus the fact that Ozzie pulled him early. Just speculating and being totally off the wall

Why in the world would we trade those two for a guy hitting .213 with four homers and 17 runs scored and 18 RBI?

As badly as some think Crede is ... he is hitting .238 with 4 homers 17 runs scored and 16 RBI?

Throwing McCarthy in that trade would be stupid.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 24, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
Wait, is there any substantial evidence that this is a true rumor and not some rumor started by some guy on the mlb.com boards that Mac, Jurko, and Harry just started to pick up.

No, it was a caller who claimed he heard the rumor on Bay Area sports radio. Its BS.

the why is that chavez is an all star thrid baseman who will not be batting like this as the year goes on. In addition the man can put us over the top. The trouble is do you give up a talent like BMAC. but there is no doubt I give up crede and any other minor leager they want.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
Okay, why discuss a trade that isn't even true. If it was a guy like Kn Rosenthal or at least someone from ESPN reporting it, then I would say this thread is okay, but it's completely baseless.

we are discussing rumors and the game has not started.

Guest JimH
Do you honestly, and I want you to think some here, that a 27 year old represented by a mega-agent who puts up .250/.300/.400 is going to attract any market value? You are seriously overvaluing a player who has overrated defensively capabilities, won't walk unless a gun is pointed at him, and an inability to hit for a good average. I would love for you to name me one team that would say, "Damn, here's an arbitration elgible player that is the equivalent of a black hole on offense! Let's get him!"

Please.

Well, he's an excellent 3B defensively for starters. He's overrated in your mind but I'd guess not in the view of GM's. Of course neither you or I know that, although you seem to profess to know. Curious how you've garnered all this knowledge at the ripe old age of 20 LOL.

The only teams that wouldn't be interested in Crede are those with young established 3B or a prospect imminently on the way. Not that interested in researching and naming them but I'd speculate about 15 teams.

To suggest Joe Randa is an even exchange for Joe Crede is ludicrous ... and I am not a big fan of Joe Crede, I'm almost as frustrated as you are with his performance.

Guest JimH
the why is that chavez is an all star thrid baseman who will not be batting like this as the year goes on. In addition the man can put us over the top. The trouble is do you give up a talent like BMAC. but there is no doubt I give up crede and any other minor leager they want.

If Beane has had any discussions about Chavez in terms of moving him, you can bet KW will get on the phone with him.

Witness his comment from Mon. nite ... "We are always looking to get better".

I'd hold out McCarthy and Sweeney, everyone else (prospects) is fair game.

QUOTE(quickman @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)

While this rumor is BS, lets just say its true, the bigger question is whether or not JR would be willing to pick up the additional payroll this deal would give the White Sox. Not only this year, but the next 4 or 5. Its not only going to be Chavez's contract but also the cost of another starter, and he's going to be a lot more expensive than BMac. I know people are going to say let Konerko walk, but unless one of the young outfielders moves to 1b, his replacement, if decent, is going to cost some money.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
If Beane has had any discussions about Chavez in terms of moving him, you can bet KW will get on the phone with him.

Witness his comment from Mon. nite ... "We are always looking to get better".

I'd hold out McCarthy and Sweeney, everyone else (prospects) is fair game.

Hell yes. There is no doubt I do that. I will buy next years tickets now.

Tribe ties up twins in the 8th

QUOTE(quickman @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
THis is totally out of left field, way out there... what if Mcarthy was a show case against the Cubs to set up this trade. El duque is scheduled top come back friday and was compeltely reluctant to go on the DL, in addition the sox were so secretive on this whole BMAC thing, plus the fact that Ozzie pulled him early. Just speculating and being totally off the wall

Ozzie said the McCarthy is going to be with the White Sox a long time. Ozzie always tells the truth.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
While this rumor is BS, lets just say its true, the bigger question is whether or not JR would be willing to pick up the additional payroll this deal would give the White Sox. Not only this year, but the next 4 or 5. Its not only going to be Chavez's contract but also the cost of  another starter, and he's going to be a lot more expensive than BMac. I know people are going to say let Konerko walk, but unless one of the young outfielders moves to 1b, his replacement, if decent, is going to cost some money.

Well if it does happen we will know. I suspect that oakland will pay some of this years money. We will worry about next year later. THis guy just may put us over the top this year. Big crowds, big finish, equals big money. A guy under contract cqan always be traded again, if it doesn't work out.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Of course we know my take, I'd move other prospects and just tell Beane Bmac ain't touchable.  If your not interested than I'll be on the phone trying to acquire Huff and give them a package of anyone but Bmac. 

Alright, I have no idea what responses were made to this, and I have no idea where the thread headed since I haven't read the rest of it, but I'll comment on this point.

Anyways, without BMac, who do we include for Huff? Our strength is the outfield, but the D-Rays bar none have the best Outfield depth for an organization. There's Crawford and Baldelli already at the major league level, and in the minors there's Gomes, Gathright, and Young. There's also Hamilton, if he ever gets his head screwed on right.

So, who would we give up? Some combination of Crede, Tracey and perhaps Ray Liotta? Too much? Too little?

I know I'm pretty much echoing what a lot of other people said, but if it doesn't involve B-Mac I'm all for getting Chavez. His numbers right now are a mirage, he'll hit better, even in that s*** lineup. Put him behind Pods and Iguchi and in front of Thomas and Konerko and see what kind of numbers he puts up, especially in our park. However, B-Mac is untouchable. The guy doesn't turn 22 for two months, and he is for all intensive purposes major league ready. In fact he'd be starting on pretty much any other team now. He looks like at worst a solid #3 starter, and with that nasty curve possibly more. Although it looks like he either needs to add velocity or throw the change more, he has been very impressive. I'd happily deal Anderson, Crede, and Tracey, but not B-Mac.