Trade Revisited

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 24, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
For those of you complaining about the credibility of the rumor, just sit back, relax and partake in some intelligent baseball chatter.  There have been some great--and I mean great--points made by both camps.

Personally, I think there may be some vaildity to this "rumor." GM's keep in contact regarding players/talent all the time.

I guarantee one thing and I know Jim said it too, but if Chavez is available you know damn well Kenny is going to call and at least find out what the asking price is. Kenny will do whatever it takes to help this club as long as JR ok's the financial aspect of it and assuming it makes sense for the Sox.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
I'd offer up Crede, Liotta and Gio and than someone like Tracey, Lummy, Whisler.  Its a hell of a deal for the Rays, they'd be getting some high potential guys.

We're giving up an awful lot in that deal. Maybe Crede, Liotta and one of Tracey, Lummy, Whisler. Otherwise... that's just too much.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 25, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
I think Gio is one of those untouchable guys too, the guys talent is amazing... unless he suffers a major setback he can be a tremendous major leaguer.

That's what I said in the Wagner rumors, but I got shot down on that one by a few people. I think Gio is actually our 2nd or 3rd best prospect, when healthy.

BMac and Crede for Chavez?

I'd have to seriously consider it, and negotiate my ass off trying to hold on to BMac, or get something else, very sloid, thrown in. Maybe BMac,Crede and Tracey for Chavez and Blanton? I don't know. I believe JR would ok the deal for Chavez, as letting PK walk makes up for a large portion of Chavez, salary and Crede is Boras client. A replacement 1b is a helluva lot easier to find than a quality replacement 3B.

The proposed Clemens deal in this thread ... not in this lifetime. Clemens probably could be had, and he may even agree to come to Sox with their great start, but that is way too much to give up for half a year of a pitcher that's a year and a half past his first retirement.

Has anyone actually put forward the idea of dealing Konerko to the A's? I know it would never happen, but if it meant we could deal Crede and get Chavez and not have to give up B-Mac, (we'd most likely have to take back Scott Hatteberg), it'd be worth considering (since there was an article a few weeks ago saying the A's were interested in Mike Sweeney).

Either way, Chavez would be an absolute power house in the middle of this lineup at the Cell. Scott Rolen exploded last season, with the talent he had around him in Edmonds and Pujols, Chavez would probably do the same.

I am inclined to deal Sean Tracey though. I think long - term, he's a fine prospect no doubt, but he probably walks too many for Ozzie and KW likelihood, and you've got 4 good lefties in the system below him in Gonzalez, Lumsden, Liotta and Whisler. If we do go for a deadline deal for an upgrade, I think the Sox are probably going to make a deal there (and as Tom (BHAM) said, there were a number of Phillies scouts checkin out Tracey at a game 2 or 3 days ago).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 25, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
I'll tell you what I would do.  I would Trade BMAC, Anderson, Sweeney, etc for Roger Clemens right now, and pay his salaryl.

no thank you. anyways, Clemens will be going to the yanks

I don't know if it's been said yet but Josh Fields is the heir-apparent for 3B.

That means the WSox only need a rent-a-player for that position.

Polanco fits the bill & his play would determine his future with the WSox.

Either offer him a multi-year deal, arbitration, or let him walk. He should qualify for Type A arbitration if the WSox play him everyday in the 2nd half. He was among the leaders for the Phils in win share. I really don't know why he fell out of favor with the manager there.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 25, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)
I don't know if it's been said yet but Josh Fields is the heir-apparent for 3B.

That means the WSox only need a rent-a-player for that position.

Polanco fits the bill & his play would determine his future with the WSox.

Either offer him a multi-year deal, arbitration, or let him walk.  He should qualify for Type A arbitration if the WSox play him everyday in the 2nd half.  He was among the leaders for the Phils in win share.  I really don't know why he fell out of favor with the manager there.

But how long will we need to rent-a-player? Considering how he is doing at the moment, I doubt Fields will be MLB ready for the 2006 season, perhaps not even the 2007 season. Three years is a long "rental".

Guest JimH
I really don't know why he fell out of favor with the manager there.

He's been whining about lack of playing time, and that rubbed Phils mgmt. the wrong way. Of course lots of things rub Phils mgmt. the wrong way.

Josh Fields the heir apparent? I keep reading this, but folks, this kid has a LONG way to go before he ever sniffs the Cell. He's not exactly tearing it up right now. We don't have an heir apparent at this point, so I wouldn't be planning on it at this point in time.

even if fields does pan out, there was originally specualtion that fields would eventually move to 1B anyway if he didn't become a better fielder. i think those concerns have died down some, but i'm sure we could find a way to fit both him and chavez on the same field if it came down to it.

Granted that Fields is probably two years away, I'm still not sure that they'd want to make that much of a committment to a guy that plays the same position as one of their top prospects. A stopgap solution would seem to make more sense. You'd be getting a 3rd baseman with 5 and a half years left on his contract that would cost somewhere between $55 and $60 mil. Considering that they got rid of Lee, who was making less money for fewer years and is probably a better hitter than Chavez at this point in his career, I don't think that they'll do it. Fields is more of a justification for not making that move than the real reason for it. I think it'd be much more likely that they get someone like Polanco.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I wouldnt necessarily say Lee is a better hitter... Chavez is slumping right now but he will get going he is awesome, also he is way more talented with the glove than Lee ever was... Chavez is probably 2nd best fielding 3B behind Rolen... I still remember last year or whatevr when Chavez was sitting down and he threw a guy out at 1st.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 25, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
I wouldnt necessarily say Lee is a better hitter... Chavez is slumping right now but he will get going he is awesome, also he is way more talented with the glove than Lee ever was... Chavez is probably 2nd best fielding 3B behind Rolen... I still remember last year or whatevr when Chavez was sitting down and he threw a guy out at 1st.

I won't argue the fielding part, but he isn't that great a hitter. Even when he is on he's never come close to hitting .300 (best year .288, career .273) and he doesn't get on base a ton either, with a .350 career OBP (was pretty damn good last year, but I digress). And for all his power potential, his career high is 34. Lee's OBP is also pretty woeful, but he's hit over .300 the last two years with 30 plus homers and is hitting considerably better right now. I'd call it debateable. However, for 5 and a half years at around $10 mil per for the full seasons, I'd like to get a stronger or more consistent hitter. He's actually pretty similar to Paulie when it comes to the streaks, which most of us have a major problem with.

I think its easier to get good hitting OF's though than it is 3B...

List of good hitting 3B:

Mora

Chavez

Beltre(although might be a fluke)

Blalock

Chipper

Aramis Ramirez

Rolen

Glaus(not good hitter but has power)

and Chavez and Rolen are way ahead of any of those guys fielding wise....

I would include A-Rod in the list but he would be a SS on any other team besides the yankees so...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 25, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
I think its easier to get good hitting OF's though than it is 3B...

List of good hitting 3B:

Mora

Chavez

Beltre(although might be a fluke)

Blalock

Chipper

Aramis Ramirez

Rolen

Glaus(not good hitter but has power)

and Chavez and Rolen are way ahead of any of those guys fielding wise....

I would include A-Rod in the list but he would be a SS on any other team besides the yankees so...

There's also only one 3rd baseman on the field and 3 outfielders. That drastically affects the number of potentially solid hitters.

well thats the point, there are a lot more OF's in baseball than 3B, therefore its easier to find good OF's because of there being so many..

3B on the other hand, there is only a handful of them that are good... and than if you are looking for a complete 3B fielding and hitting well Chavez and Rolen are really the only ones that are great both ways.

Beltre is good fielder but who knows if he was a fluke and I think Blalock has the upside to be great on both sides but he isnt right now and anyways no way in hell he is traded.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 25, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
David Wright is a good hitting 3b.

Might even put up better numbers than half the players on that list, and most importantly hes a rookie.

SB

I hope you were just mentioning Wright as an addition to the list and not as someone the White Sox would acquire because there's no way in hell the Mets deal him. The s***storm they received after the Kazmir trade is reason enough for them to not trade another top prospect for a long time. That, and of course the fact is Wright is just as good as you say...defintely a future stud at 3rd.

Edited by Fotop