NBA Draft Lottery

Basically the Pacers made the deal because Bender is a number on their cap and the #17 pick, they didn't feel comfortable taking someone there who they could feel would contribute right away. They feel that Devean George and Medvedenko can however and the pick is a throw-in. Don't be suprised if they make another move to get some capspace.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Basically the Pacers made the deal because Bender is a number on their cap and the #17 pick, they didn't feel comfortable taking someone there who they could feel would contribute right away. They feel that Devean George and Medvedenko can however and the pick is a throw-in. Don't be suprised if they make another move to get some capspace.

I see. So they don't feel anybody can help them with that 17th pick? I find that hard to believe. There's some good player's to be had at that pick.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 05:55 AM)
I see.  So they don't feel anybody can help them with that 17th pick?  I find that hard to believe.  There's some good player's to be had at that pick.

They want someone who can make an instant impact this year. They don't think they can get anyone there at #17 to do that.

They might regret this move.  Think the Suns regret trading away their chance at drafting either Luol Deng or Andre Igoduala?

The Suns had a top 10 pick IIRC, #7 right?

The Pacers dont, and besides.. with the talent they have already in place adding two solid players instead of one rookie in the mid rounds doesnt sound too bad of a decision..

Illinois guard turns off Blazers

Published June 20, 2005

Deron Williams of Illinois is among several potential top draft picks who are raising questions about their willingness to compete.

Williams told the Portland Trail Blazers, who have the No. 3 pick in the June 28 draft, he would work out for them only if he was alone, not against other players. The Blazers told high school player Gerald Green to stay home after he declined to work out against others. Teams usually rely on such drills to gauge a player's toughness and desire.

Portland general manager John Nash said: "If they don't want to compete for the third pick in the draft, then it's hard for me to envision them competing 82 times a season."

Nash said he viewed Green's demand for a solo workout as a "sign of weakness and a lack of confidence."

Nash said Williams declined to work out against Washington guard Nate Robinson, an Earl Boykins-type pest who also played for the Huskies' football team.

Williams and Wake Forest's Chris Paul are considered the top two point guards in the draft. Paul also has been declining competitive sessions.

When asked why Arizona's Channing Frye declined to work out with Charlotte, coach/general manager Bernie Bickerstaff said: "To me, maybe it's a fear of competing."

Tuesday is the deadline for players to pull out of the draft and still keep their college eligibility. That's also when players such as Illinois' Luther Head will get a better idea of how far they will move up.

:unsure:

Nash said Williams declined to work out against Washington guard Nate Robinson, an Earl Boykins-type pest who also played for the Huskies' football team.

Ok, so can anyone explain to me what Deron would have to gain by going up against a 2nd round pick that is quite possibly the fastest/quickest player in the draft? Turning down all workouts is bad, but turning down a workout against Nate Robinson, or Will Bynum if you are Deron, Paul, or Felton is a very bright move.

Looks like it's the Carlos Boozer fiasco all over again for Laker fans..lol

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_050620.html

A. The story is not accurate. Franchise CEO Donnie Walsh was unequivocal in his dismissal of that particular trade report. No such discussions are taking place, and there's nothing on the table with the Lakers.

The Lakers need to fire all their "insiders." :lol:

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

Jonathan Givony: So does this whole “great white stiff” theory, does that give you any extra motivation to prove people wrong?

Andrew Bogut: Not really, because there’s been the great black stiff too. There’s been Kwame Browns and there have been Michael Olowokandis too. Everyone forgets about those guys, but they went #1 in the draft too. That’s just the thing in America, the big white guy isn’t supposed to be as good as the big black guy. That’s something I can’t control, and I’m just going to work hard. There have been a lot of white guys who went late in the draft and turned out to be allstars. Nowitzki, Manu Ginobili, Stojakovic and so on. I really don’t have a worry in the world. I know I can play, and I don’t care what the color of my skin is.

:lolhitting

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1011

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
Jonathan Givony: So does this whole “great white stiff” theory, does that give you any extra motivation to prove people wrong?

Andrew Bogut: Not really, because there’s been the great black stiff too. There’s been Kwame Browns and there have been Michael Olowokandis too. Everyone forgets about those guys, but they went #1 in the draft too. That’s just the thing in America, the big white guy isn’t supposed to be as good as the big black guy. That’s something I can’t control, and I’m just going to work hard. There have been a lot of white guys who went late in the draft and turned out to be allstars. Nowitzki, Manu Ginobili, Stojakovic and so on. I really don’t have a worry in the world. I know I can play, and I don’t care what the color of my skin is.

:lolhitting

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1011

I :wub: Bogut. He deserves to go #1, and I hope he does, Bucks draft him, re-sign Redd, get Ford healthy, and use the mid - level exception on a good SF/PF, they're back in the playoffs next season without a doubt.

Oh and this is VERY interesting;

While there's little doubt he'll be the fourth pick in the draft, the team Deron Williams will end up with is becoming one of the draft's biggest mysteries. Utah is one team we've reported hot on his trail. But Williams' latest workout for Orlando on Saturday is especially interesting considering everyone knows he'll be long gone by the time the 11th pick rolls around.

One possible trade scenario would have Orlando sending Jameer Nelson and their 11th pick (and possibly an additional protected first or player) to New Orleans to acquire the 4th pick to take Deron.

With Williams excellent size, strength, and defensive ability, he would be a perfect fit alongside Steve Francis.

New Orleans would like to add a number of talented players, so this deal could potentially help them fill a few holes.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
Looks like it's the Carlos Boozer fiasco all over again for Laker fans..lol

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_050620.html

The Lakers need to fire all their "insiders." :lol:

Sorry I'm a little late on this, but yeah, I never even heard of it on the Pacers side. So who knows on that.