BMac might stay with Sox

YASNY

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 25, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
I hope Politte can keep it up but I doubt he will.  To beat MIN we need to add a top 20 RP before Aug.  As teams fall out of the contention there will be plenty of candidates to choose from.  Wagner amongst them(15th in NL).

If El Duque makes it back, is moving Contreras to the pen a viable option? Would you project him as a top 20 RP if he makes the shift?

QUOTE(bulokis @ May 25, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
I agree with you aboz, if McCarthy stays, he should stay in the rotation not in the bullpen.

No doubt about it. #1 it takes away our top insurance policy against injury, and #2 it stunts the work that his young arm needs to get him prepared to be a major league starter.

Out of curiousity: suppose we send McCarthy back to AAA after Duque gets back, what happens in September and October? I forgot these rules, but don't the rosters extend to 40-men? How does this affect arbitration eligibility? Thanks in advance.

QUOTE(Wedge @ May 25, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Out of curiousity: suppose we send McCarthy back to AAA after Duque gets back, what happens in September and October?  I forgot these rules, but don't the rosters extend to 40-men?  How does this affect arbitration eligibility?  Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of ways around this. If we are way out in front you might see another "injury" to Hernandez, which would allow us to call up Brandon, making both Hernandez and McCarthy eligible for the post season roster.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ May 25, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
MB started his career out as a long reliever so I dont have a problem with B Mac going to the bullpen once Hernandez comes back it only makes our bullpen stronger...

Mark was also called up in July of 2001 when this team was already dead and buried. Brandon also needs his innings.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
Mark was also called up in July of 2001 when this team was already dead and buried.  Brandon also needs his innings.

I think putting BMac in the bullpen would be a travishamockery of major proportions....AKA, not a big fan of this idea..

It does fall in line with alot of our young pitcher mismanagement of the past decade or so...we love to put pitchers in positions to fail. :chair

The key to this issue, if they choose to keep BMac up, is how he is used. He should never sit 10 days without pitching. Whenever BMac is brought into a game, it should be with the idea that he will finish the game. He'll throw strikes and challenge hitters, so he should perform well.

BMac could be that top 20 reliever that Juggernaut thinks we need to acquire. But then, someone said we "needed" a RH long reliever. Apparently, Ozzie and KW disagreed as we had one in Adkins, and sent him down in ST.

Let's go with a 6-man rotation

I think we should sent McCarthy down. I rather not see him get spot duties. I rather see him pitch every 5 days. I'm not willing to trade Contreras to get a rookie up here. Especially with Contreras doing so well. The amount of innings BMac would get in Charlotte is way more than he would get here. At least wait until we're way in front or way in back of the race. McCarthy needs innings. I'm not willing to give up an "insurance policy" and put him in the bullpen. I rather just have him stretched out and ready. He'll get his shot. I rather just see our regular rotation go at it.

Don't let your affection for a player get in the way of a rotation that is producing. Ask yourself this. Is BMac going to do any better than Freddy G, Buehrle, Garland, Contreras, or Hernandez is doing now??? I would say no. Keep him down there. Let him develop into something special.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 25, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
I think putting BMac in the bullpen would be a travishamockery of major proportions....AKA, not a big fan of this idea..

It does fall in line with alot of our young pitcher mismanagement of the past decade or so...we love to put pitchers in positions to fail.  :chair

I agree. It goes along with bringing up spot starters from AAA on the day of the game(Felix Diaz a couple of times) instead of bringing them up at least the day before so he could get proper rest.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 25, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)

Don't let your affection for a player get in the way of a rotation that is producing. Ask yourself this. Is BMac going to do any better than Freddy G, Buehrle, Garland, Contreras, or Hernandez is doing now??? I would say no. Keep him down there. Let him develop into something special.

What if he throws a perfect game with 21 K's against the Rangers.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 25, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
BMAC isn't quite there yet. I'd want Cotts in that long relief role.

If BMac isn't "there yet", I love to see him pitch when he is. Cotts could then be used in short relief, and some long relief as well on days after Bmac throws

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 25, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
Put me in the camp that endorses sending McCarthy back down to stay in that starter's role.

This guy needs to pitch ever fifth day.  I ain't budging.

Just curious, why does he need to throw every 5th day? Is to keep Stretched out? He's already had all his work and able to throw 5, 6 innings as it is. If he threw on the side by being in the pen and coming into games, he'd throw a lot of pitches to stay strong. Is it to learn how to pitch to AAA hitters? Cotts learned how to pitch last yr in the pen.

Another thing people haven't talked about--is BMac more likely to get hurt throwing in AAA as a SP, or in the pen in the majors? Seeing how he's not a fireballer, but a guy who relies on location, BMac won't overthrow in relief. He's less likely to get hurt by being in CHI.

Make BMAC the closer!

The smartest comment here was the one that said BMAC cannot go 10 days without pitching. If the Sox have a hole in their bullpen such that he can get several innings in against big league hitters every few days, then there's no good reason to send him down unless he struggles in that role.

If he has to go more than 3 or 4 games at a time without pitching, then it's suicide to keep him up.

Given how much Viz has struggled lately, I can see a role for BMAC there, but I'd still be concerned given how many other arms our bullpen has.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
No doubt about it.  #1 it takes away our top insurance policy against injury, and #2 it stunts the work that his young arm needs to get him prepared to be a major league starter.

#1: He's also more likely to get injured himself throwing in AAA. All those pitches in AAA may take a toll on his arm.

#2-most people believe he's prepared to be a major league SP now. What other work [besides throwing 80-90 pitches a game to AAA hitters] does BMac need?

If BMac sticks with the Sox, it's because he could give the major league team the best chance to win games in 2005. Even if one of the SP's went down, Bmac would likely be ready to step in very soon and give the sox 5 innings. Given the choice, which would BMac choose--being in AAA or on the Sox? Few players would choose AAA. I don't think BMac would either.

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 25, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Just curious, why does he need to throw every 5th day? Is to keep Stretched out? He's already had all his work and able to throw 5, 6 innings as it is. If he threw on the side by being in the pen and coming into games, he'd throw a lot of pitches to stay strong. Is it to learn how to pitch to AAA hitters? Cotts learned how to pitch last yr in the pen.

Another thing people haven't talked about--is BMac more likely to get hurt throwing in AAA as a SP, or in the pen in the majors? Seeing how he's not a fireballer, but a guy who relies on location, BMac won't overthrow in relief. He's less likely to get hurt by being in CHI.

He needs to throw every fifth day because his future on this team is as a SP. He has the stuff and mindset to be a starter, and at this young age there is no reason for him to be up here for mop up duty. Neal Cotts could go on to be a starter but there is/was a need for another lefty reliever and he has filled in adequately in that role.

Injury should never be a factor when making a decision like this. You dont place your players on certain teams b/c they have less of a chance getting injured. He needs to start on a consistent basis, plain and simple in my opinion. I really wish this wasn't even an issue as I see no reason for him to be in the bullpen.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 25, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)

Don't let your affection for a player get in the way of a rotation that is producing. Ask yourself this. Is BMac going to do any better than Freddy G, Buehrle, Garland, Contreras, or Hernandez is doing now???

The question is, could BMac throw better than some guys in the bullpen, ala Walker, cotts, Vizcaino and even Shingo? Probably yes.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 25, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
He needs to throw every fifth day because his future on this team is as a SP. He has the stuff and mindset to be a starter, and at this young age there is no reason for him to be up here for mop up duty. Neal Cotts could go on to be a starter but there is/was a need for another lefty reliever and he has filled in adequately in that role.

Injury should never be a factor when making a decision like this. You dont place your players on certain teams b/c they have less of a chance getting injured. He needs to start on a consistent basis, plain and simple in my opinion. I really wish this wasn't even an issue as I see no reason for him to be in the bullpen.

His future is as a SP. But with 5 solid SP's, his present could be in the pen. BMac can get outs at the major league level. That's why the sox look like they'll keep him around. It looks like they don't think Bmac's future will be harmed by having him pitch in the pen.

BTW, didn't Bronson Arroyo do pretty well in the Red sox pen last year, and it didn't hurt his development as a SP?

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 25, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
His future is as a SP. But with 5 solid SP's, his present could be in the pen. BMac can get outs at the major league level. That's why the sox look like they'll keep him around. It looks like they don't think Bmac's future will be harmed by having him pitch in the pen.

BTW, didn't Bronson Arroyo do pretty well in the Red sox pen last year, and it didn't hurt his development as a SP?

Bronson was a starter last year after the first month of the season because Derek Lowe was sucking big balls and Wakefield became injury prone. And there's a difference, the Red Sox needed Bronson. The White Sox don't need BMac right now. Why rush him up to do mop up duty?? I rather have him pitch in triple a and let him start, learn how to get out of jams, refine his pitches even more and allow him to become an ace. We need to stop rushing pitchers. Let them come at their own pace.

Maybe, just maybe, that Ozzie and KW think having BMac in the bullpen will make this team better, this year. With this start, a go for it attitude is exactly the attitude they need to have. I'm sure this move was well thought out.

I know its fun to engage in these esoterical discussions but the fact is that the question cannot be answered until: (1) we see how McCarthy does in his next two starts (which apparently he'll get); and (2) we know the health of the other four starting pitchers when El Duque returns.

I wouldn't be opposed to him going to the pen if continues to throw as well as he did Sunday. If he proves he belongs in the bigs it may be more detrimental to him mentally to send him down while we're in the midst of this great run.

If in his next couple starts it becomes apparent that he has things to work on then we send him down for further development.