BMac might stay with Sox

YASNY

QUOTE(Steff @ May 26, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
In the past there's been a need to do so, and that's a stretch of an explination at best - and a "pattern" is hardly what I would call throwing s*** at the wall and hoping it sticks . There's no reason Brandon should be in the pen. None what-so-ever. To put him there would be complete stupidity.

I break it down into this. You don't take your best prospect and turn him from a starter into a long reliever. Let him start, if not at Chicago, then down at Charlotte.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
You don't think he's going back down...??

How much...

Most people think Kevin Walker and Timo Perez will be the ones to go with Frank and Gload coming back. Depends if the Sox want to keep Walker up as the extra lefty.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 26, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
I break it down into this. You don't take your best prospect and turn him from a starter into a long reliever. Let him start, if not at Chicago, then down at Charlotte.

You might want to have this conversation with someone who wants Brandon in the pen in Chicago as I never stated or implied that's what I thought should be done with him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 26, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
Most people think Kevin Walker and Timo Perez will be the ones to go with Frank and Gload coming back. Depends if the Sox want to keep Walker up as the extra lefty.

Not sure what that has to do with a bet if Mac is going down or not...

QUOTE(Steff @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)
You might want to have this conversation with someone who wants Brandon in the pen in Chicago as I never stated or implied that's what I thought should be done with him.

Yeah I know Steff, we're both on the same viewpoint on B-Mac, it's just there's a lot of people on the other side, mainly because of the likes of Cotts, Vizcaino and Walker in our pen.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 26, 2005 -> 08:03 AM)

Who are these "MOST PEOPLE" and where can I get my hands on them??? :P

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:05 AM)
Who are these "MOST PEOPLE" and where can I get my hands on them??? :P

Just read any thread mentioning Vizcaino (mainly with a gas can), Neal Cotts (and the leadoff walk, and he has no control), and any thread on Kevin Walker. I GUARANTEE there'll be quite a few.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 26, 2005 -> 08:05 AM)
Yeah I know Steff, we're both on the same viewpoint on B-Mac, it's just there's a lot of people on the other side, mainly because of the likes of Cotts, Vizcaino and Walker in our pen.

Hey now every bullpen has a soft underbelly...And Cotts has not been that bad, Walker hasn't even gotten in a meaningful game. I wont argue with Vizcaino who has me frustrated beyond belief...But we need BMac to take their place in the bullpen just sitting out there, kickin it with Art...Sometimes I'll never get it

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 26, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)
Just read any thread mentioning Vizcaino (mainly with a gas can), Neal Cotts (and the leadoff walk, and he has no control), and any thread on Kevin Walker. I GUARANTEE there'll be quite a few.

Yea I know...but the point everyone is missing is its not about how bad these guys are it's what is best for your biggest pitching prospect to come up since Mark B....but logic is a gift, given to us select few :D

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
Yea I know...but the point everyone is missing is its not about how bad these guys are it's what is best for your biggest pitching prospect to come up since Mark B....but logic is a gift, given to us select few  :D

Of course there's the "WIN NOW" mentality, that those others are going to use.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 26, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)

Guillen is hesitant to put rookie Brandon McCarthy in the bullpen once Hernandez is activated because of the lack of innings provided for the Sox's long relievers and the need to keep McCarthy as a starter. "I think this kid has to go back to the minor leagues and keep throwing," Guillen said.

Curious to know what "pattern" and "track record" your referring to as well..

Cotts and adkins last yr for bullpen guys when they were SP's. Ozzie also has given chances to guys to fill the roster in Gload, Burke, Ozuna, Widger when other choices could have been made.

Ozzie has "spoken" on this issue. It looks dead

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 26, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
Cotts and adkins last yr for bullpen guys when they were SP's. Ozzie also has given chances to guys to fill the roster in Gload, Burke, Ozuna, Widger when other choices could have been made.

Ozzie has "spoken" on this issue. It looks dead

Once again.. there was a NEED at the time. There is no NEED at this time.

:banghead

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 26, 2005 -> 08:07 AM)
Hey now every bullpen has a soft underbelly...And Cotts has not been that bad, Walker hasn't even gotten in a meaningful game. I wont argue with Vizcaino who has me frustrated beyond belief...But we need BMac to take their place in the bullpen just sitting out there, kickin it with Art...Sometimes I'll never get it

I dont know why anyone is so down on Cotts about walking people, Walker is known to walk many many many guys as well. I think they are both crap at this point, but Cotts is a little less crappy. They still should bring up Baj though.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
I dont know why anyone is so down on Cotts about walking people, Walker is known to walk many many many guys as well.  I think they are both crap at this point, but Cotts is a little less crappy.  They still should bring up Baj though.

Because it's Neal Cotts. ;)

QUOTE(Steff @ May 26, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
In the past there's been a need to do so, and that's a stretch of an explination at best - and a "pattern" is hardly what I would call throwing s*** at the wall and hoping it sticks . There's no reason Brandon should be in the pen. None what-so-ever. To put him there would be complete stupidity.

Music to my ears.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 26, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
Once again.. there was a NEED at the time. There is no NEED at this time.

:banghead

There is a need for bullpen guys [one, or two] who have better control. The Sox bullpen walks far too many guys. Right now only Hermanson and Politte have good K: BB rates. BMac won't be that guy from what Ozzie has said. But the need is still there. Whether the current guys come around, that may be. Viz will be better, and so should Shingo. But if things stay as they are, I'd expect a trade by the deadline to improve the pen.

The walks from the bullpen haven't hurt the sox that much. But that is bound to change.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep26.html

Hernandez due back; McCarthy in limbo

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Brandon McCarthy said he would be open to a role in the bullpen, but the possibility still looks to be a long shot.

McCarthy, who will make his second career start Friday at Texas, is likely to return to Class AAA Charlotte when Orlando Hernandez is ready to return from the disabled list.

Hernandez threw on the side for a second consecutive day Wednesday and reported no problems. He will throw another side session today, then will throw from a mound Friday.

Hernandez said he thinks he will be ready to assume his regular spot in the rotation at home Wednesday against the Angels.

That leaves the Sox with a decision about what to with McCarthy. The prudent thing would seem to be sending him to Charlotte so he can continue throwing every five days and be ready to be recalled if necessary.

''I would rather start just because I'm so routine-oriented and I can do my set workout each day,'' he said. ''I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I might need to be broken of that someday just for the sake of changing things up. But it's something that I've always had and have gotten comfortable with. Given a choice, absolutely I'd like to be a starter.''

But he also wants to be a team player and knows he isn't the one who makes the decisions.

''It would be interesting if that [the bullpen] is what came up,'' McCarthy said. ''But for right now, I think I'd be open to doing it, absolutely. I think I'd be fine at it, it would just take me a little while to get acclimated to it and get comfortable. But if that came with spot starts in between, I'm sure I'd be fine.''