Uribe

retro1983hat

Yes Juan Uribe is a streaky hitter. Very streaky.

But he has been absolutely brutal in the last week.

He looks completely lost at the plate.

I know he is, to say the least, free-swinging, but my goodness, he is scary-bad at the plate right now.

He also hasn't had a day off in a while.

Ozzie should let him sit a day or so. His bat not being in the lineup really can't hurt us more than it being in the lineup.

Guest JimH

Just a guess but I think we will see Ozuna in there tonight and probably tomorrow as well. Washburn is one of those crafty lefty types who can eat Uribe up, at least in his current bad slump state.

I dont have a problem with the streakiness, but I have a major problem with streakiness combined with the complete inability to give the team any productive at-bats. Uribe, Crede and so far this year, Rowand, are absolutely useless when they aren't hitting. They don't walk, they don't make the pitcher work(although Uribe occasionally fouls off 13 pitches before striking out) they don't move runners over, etc. They're holdovers from previous team that don't seem to buy into the new philosophy. It's getting to the point with Uribe and Crede like it used to get with Valentin. What I mean is, everytime Valentin had 2 strikes on him, everyone watching the game knew a curve ball in the dirt was coming, it would come, and Valentin would swing at it every time. Now, it's slider outside for Crede, and high fastball for Uribe. Get 2 strikes on either of those guys, throw the appropriate pitch, and you have a guaranteed strikeout.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 25, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
Just a guess but I think we will see Ozuna in there tonight and probably tomorrow as well.  Washburn is one of those crafty lefty types who can eat Uribe up, at least in his current bad slump state.

Good plan. This is perfect day for an Ozuna start.

QUOTE(poorme @ May 25, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
uribe is what he is. it's not easy to find a good hitting SS.

what about CF, RF, DH, 3B, 1B? that's what is killing the offense.

I was thinking the same thing. Although, Uribe could seriously use a few days off. I like Uribe alot and we all know that his offensive hot streaks are as great as his cold streaks are bad. We'll just have to ride this cold streak out till he heats up again. Defensively, he's pretty solid, and some of us may take that for granted. And its his defense, in my mind, thats keeping him playing throughout his cold streak.

He's our everyday SS, as he should be. He just needs some rest.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ May 25, 2005 -> 08:25 AM)
It's getting to the point with Uribe and Crede like it used to get with Valentin.  What I mean is, everytime Valentin had 2 strikes on him, everyone watching the game knew a curve ball in the dirt was coming, it would come, and Valentin would swing at it every time.  Now, it's slider outside for Crede, and high fastball for Uribe.  Get 2 strikes on either of those guys, throw the appropriate pitch, and you have a guaranteed strikeout.

I think Crede has always been an awful 2 strike hitter and that won't change. Last night was one of the few two strike hits I can remember him getting.

Uribe as a two strike hitter goes with his streaks.

QUOTE(shakes @ May 25, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
I think Crede has always been an awful 2 strike hitter and that won't change. Last night was one of the few two strike hits I can remember him getting.

Uribe as a two strike hitter goes with his streaks.

I would guess that most hitters aren't as good with 2 strikes than they are without, but it's the predictability that bothers me. He gets beat on the same pitch every time. Let that damn pitch go-- it's never in the strike zone.

I think you're looking at both Widger and Ozuna in there for the next two games.

However, I've said it before and I'm sticking to it: As Hawk said, Uribe has one of the ugliest swings in the game and we have to be happy with whatever offensive production he gives us because he'll go on tears with the best of em', but he'll also fall into some of the worst slumps in baseball.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 25, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
I think you're looking at both Widger and Ozuna in there for the next two games.

However, I've said it before and I'm sticking to it: As Hawk said, Uribe has one of the ugliest swings in the game and we have to be happy with whatever offensive production he gives us because he'll go on tears with the best of em', but he'll also fall into some of the worst slumps in baseball.

Are you saying Widger playing at 3b for Crede? I'm sorry, I just don't think that'll happen. There's too much of a phobia (often well deserved) about not leaving yourself with a backup plan at catcher in any game, given how important that position can be for a pitching staff. Playing both catchers at the same time really risks hurting 1 of them and leaving yourself without a good backup option.

My suggestion would be to give Ozuna a few games at each spot, 3b and SS, and hope he can manage there while the other 2 try to get their swings back together.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 25, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
Are you saying Widger playing at 3b for Crede?  I'm sorry, I just don't think that'll happen.  There's too much of a phobia (often well deserved) about not leaving yourself with a backup plan at catcher in any game, given how important that position can be for a pitching staff.  Playing both catchers at the same time really risks hurting 1 of them and leaving yourself without a good backup option.

My suggestion would be to give Ozuna a few games at each spot, 3b and SS, and hope he can manage there while the other 2 try to get their swings back together.

I think he means Widger behind the plate. It's been a while since AJP had a day off.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 25, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
I think he means Widger behind the plate.  It's been a while since AJP had a day off.

I wouldnt' complain about that, i just haven't seen anywhere else on this thread where people have been saying that A.J. needed a break, only our struggling infielders.

QUOTE(poorme @ May 25, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
uribe is what he is. it's not easy to find a good hitting SS.

what about CF, RF, DH, 3B, 1B? that's what is killing the offense.

Well, we were all complaining about Konerko and Dye hovering around the .200 mark a few weeks ago, and they now stand at .228 and .221, respectively. Not great numbers, to say the least, but at least they have both been raising their averages while making contributions. Carl needs to get himself back on track, or its gonna be a long season for him when Frank gets called back to the bigs. Rowand is real close to breaking through, just a hunch. Although his weak grounder in the ninth didnt help him out too much.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 25, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
I think he means Widger behind the plate.  It's been a while since AJP had a day off.

...of course that's what I meant. You honestly thought I was endorsing playing Widger at third? You have to be kidding me.

AJ needs a day or two off. Dude has spent a ton of time behind the plate lately.

EDIT: By the way, as anticipated, both Ozuna and Widger are playing tonight.

Widger at third. :headshake :headshake

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 25, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
...of course that's what I meant.  You honestly thought I was endorsing playing Widger at third?  You have to be kidding me.

AJ needs a day or two off.  Dude has spent a ton of time behind the plate lately.

Widger at third. :headshake  :headshake

The other guy was the one who thought that, not me.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 25, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
...of course that's what I meant.  You honestly thought I was endorsing playing Widger at third?  You have to be kidding me.

AJ needs a day or two off.  Dude has spent a ton of time behind the plate lately.

Widger at third. :headshake  :headshake

Widger is catching tonight, rest assured Crediocre is at 3B