Moronatti with a confusing article.

quade36

Though he completely bashes Guillen, as usual, he says Guillen needs to get a contract extension?????

Ozzie's ranting really a cry for respect

May 25, 2005

BY JAY MARIOTTI SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

If you're asking me to psychoanalyze one Oswaldo Jose Guillen Barrios -- that's what the birth certificate says -- I might prefer the exercise of explaining Liza Minnelli, Axl Rose, Ron Artest or Onterrio Smith. As a public service to White Sox folk everywhere, I will try anyway. Seems the Blizzard of Oz, when you jackhammer through the f-bombs and the bluster and the chip on the shoulder, is searching for something deeper in life.

Respect, I believe.

He comes across as a cocky, mouthy, make-my-day matador in complete command of his domain, but, in fact, the Original Ozzinator is insecure in his job. Never mind that the Sox are the biggest overachievers in baseball. He continues to talk like a man who isn't sure he'll be employed too long as a manager, which might provide some clue to why he's such a raving loon. Why did he go ballistic on the so-called ''Venezuelan [bleep],'' Magglio Ordonez? Because he's too insecure to accept Ordonez's criticism as a natural byproduct of his Sox divorce. Why did he leave spittle wounds on the face of Chan- nel 7's Brad Palmer? Because he's too insecure to be ''second-guessed'' about yanking a rookie pitcher too early. Why has he ripped everyone from Buck Showalter to Frank Thomas to Carlos Lee to, well, me? Because Ozzie thinks some of us secretly are plotting to run him back to Caracas.

''I don't care about what people think about the way I manage,'' he said defiantly. ''The only people I care about how I manage is my players and the general manager and [chairman] Jerry Reinsdorf. He's the one who pays me.''

If that isn't a cry for organizational love, I don't know what is.

Truth be known, no one is conspiring against Guillen. I, for one, wrote four columns advocating him for the job in the fall of 2003. The only demand is that he not let his foul mouth overwhelm his impressive deeds, knowing that one politically incorrect, ethnically insensitive or just plain vulgar slip of the tongue might doom him no matter how well the Sox are playing. To that point, I've concluded Guillen urgently needs a reason to feel secure. He needs a reward, an affirmation of his success, a sedative.

He needs a contract extension.

So, where is it?

Guillen's spot a lot like Skiles'

Guillen is in the second year of a two-year guaranteed deal, with the Sox holding his option for next season. It is eerily similar to the circumstance facing Bulls coach Scott Skiles, who is entering his option year after a splendid performance this past season. The common denominator, of course, is Reinsdorf, who has hired many a mediocre manager in his day and might want to recognize that Guillen -- beyond his X-rated rantings -- has been everything this franchise has craved. The Blizzard has stolen attention from the market-dominant Cubs with his daily commentary and wild mood swings. He recognized the need for a dramatic makeover on the field and, so far, has pulled off Ozzieball with shocking efficiency. If Tribune Co. hired Dusty Baker to be the most dominant baseball personality in town, Guillen sabotaged the plan. He is hot. He is it. And as long as he agrees to what I'll call a nutball clause -- he is reprimanded or even fired for behavior unbecoming of a franchise selling itself to families and kids -- he deserves to feel good and settle down with longer-term security.

So, where is it?

I thought it might be coming this week after a story by Sox conduit Bruce Levine, who reported on the team's flagship radio station Monday night that Guillen's option would be picked up and two more years would be tacked on. The news flash seemed refreshingly non-Reinsdorfian, recalling the annual contract hassles experienced by Phil Jackson when he was merely coaching a basketball dynasty. But then, predictably, came the on-high denials from Sox brass, with Guillen quoted Tuesday as saying they haven't even started contract discussions.

This is not good. Because the longer Guillen goes without an extension, two things could happen. He might become wackier and more dangerous as the season slips into a contentious, emotional race with the Minnesota Twins. And, if he wins a division title, he could join Skiles in the same advantageous position of impending free agency. You don't think Guillen would bolt here for more money? Try him. He came to the Sox from the Florida Marlins, a contender managed by 74-year-old Jack McKeon, who could be ready to retire after next season. He helped learn the trade under Bobby Cox, who, at 64, won't be managing the Atlanta Braves forever. Ozzie says he's ''not about money,'' but anyone who says that usually is.

Mouth just doesn't stay shut

A side of me wonders if Guillen is The Snitch here. In angrily denying the extension story, Sox GM Ken Williams demanded to know why Levine keeps getting inside stories handed to him. Let me direct Williams to Page 58 of the Tuesday edition of the Sun-Times, where the following item appeared in Stella Foster's column about recent activity at a local steak house: ''White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and third-base coach Joey Cora dined with ESPN Radio's Bruce Levine.'' If the Blizzard can't keep his mouth shut in uniform, why would he over a porterhouse? Wasn't Ozzie blabbing about his job interviews with Williams two years ago and ignoring Reinsdorf's code of secrecy? I do not know if he's The Snitch, but circumstantial evidence suggests he is. Guillen simply doesn't care that Reinsdorf acts like Robert De Niro in ''Meet the Parents.'' He yaps anyway.

My conspiratorial side also suspects Reinsdorf is eager to reward Guillen but can't announce it as long as the Skiles mess remains unsettled. The other day, Skiles' agent, Keith Glass, volunteered publicly that his client could work next season as a lame duck. That won't go over big in the House of Jerry, not after his recent proclamation that he won't deal with the agents of coaches and managers. The Skiles saga looks like a classic Reinsdorfian war in the works, and if he signs Guillen while not rewarding his basketball coach, it's terrible business and bad form.

So the Blizzard is left to bounce off the walls until further notice, not knowing his fate. ''I think he has done an amazing job for us,'' center fielder Aaron Rowand said. ''Everyone has just meshed. You can't plan team chemistry; it's something that just happens because of the people who put the team together. Now we have 25 people on the same page. Nobody's going to quit or worry about their numbers. Everybody is pulling for each other.''

The winning culture is the work of Guillen. Please reward him soon.

If not, the Ozzinator can make no promises about his behavior.

No, this is a very good article. It raises a bunch of concerns to me, and it uses the Skiles situation as a good back-drop for the Ozzie situation. Does anybody know why the Skiles situation hasn't been settled yet?

QUOTE(Wedge @ May 25, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
No, this is a very good article.  It raises a bunch of concerns to me, and it uses the Skiles situation as a good back-drop for the Ozzie situation.  Does anybody know why the Skiles situation hasn't been settled yet?

Money. It will get done it's just the Bulls are trying to squeeze out the best deal possible because at one point last year they were paying for three coaching contracts(Floyd, Cartwright, Skiles). They just want to make sure that he didn't have a fluke season and protect themselves. Skiles actually doesn't want as much money as I thought he would. He's asking for around the average.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 25, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Money. It will get done it's just the Bulls are trying to squeeze out the best deal possible because at one point last year they were paying for three coaching contracts(Floyd, Cartwright, Skiles). They just want to make sure that he didn't have a fluke season and protect themselves. Skiles actually doesn't want as much money as I thought he would. He's asking for around the average.

Thanks for the insight. Do you see this being a similar hang-up with Ozzie, if the team decides to extend him?

QUOTE(Wedge @ May 25, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
Thanks for the insight.  Do you see this being a similar hang-up with Ozzie, if the team decides to extend him?

Not a chance. Skiles has an agent looking out for him, while Guillens extension will involve just Oz and Kenny.

The part of this column that concerned me, was Mariotti saying that it would be bad business on JR's part to sign Ozzie and not Skiles. If Ozzie has job security issues and Skiles ends up in an extended negotiation, this could last long enough that Ozzie starts feeling some pressure and starts making decisions based on the pressure, which could start a snowball effect ... and totally f*** up this season.

The part of this column that concerned me, was Mariotti saying that it would be bad business on JR's part to sign Ozzie and not Skiles.  If Ozzie has job security issues and Skiles ends up in an extended negotiation, this could last long enough that Ozzie starts feeling some pressure and starts making decisions based on the pressure, which could start a snowball effect ... and totally f*** up this season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scor...uth.rumors.mlb/

One suspects White Sox GM and chairman Jerry Reinsdorf is eager to reward manager Ozzie Guillen but can't announce it as long as his mess with Bulls coach Scott Skiles remains unsettled. The Skiles saga looks like a classic Reinsdorfian war in the works, and if he signs Guillen while not rewarding his basketball coach, it's terrible business and bad form.

-- Chicago Sun-Times