Another option at 3b.

shakes

Since everyone loves to bash Crede, and I'm starting to hop on that bandwagon, I thought I'd bring this up.

It looks like the Reds are going to have a firesale. I think Joe Randa would be an upgrade that could be had for a reasonable price. Any takers?

:cheers

QUOTE(shakes @ May 25, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
Since everyone loves to bash Crede, and I'm starting to hop on that bandwagon, I thought I'd bring this up.

It looks like the Reds are going to have a firesale. I think Joe Randa would be an upgrade that could be had for a reasonable price. Any takers?

I still dont get why no one likes Joe Crede. Yes he has had some ups and downs with the bat, but he still has one of the best gloves at third base in the league. Also, he is our 8 hitter, he will hit around .250 with 20 hrs and 65 rbi's. That is pretty good for your 8 hitter. Im sure there are several teams that would love that kind of glove and offensive production out of the 8 spot. So until his defense starts to slip, I think Joe Crede is a more then capable 3rd basemen for us.

QUOTE(mduggan88 @ May 25, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)

I still dont get why no one likes Joe Crede.  Yes he has had some ups and downs with the bat, but he still has one of the best gloves at third base in the league.  Also, he is our 8 hitter, he will hit around .250 with 20 hrs and 65 rbi's.  That is pretty good for your 8 hitter.  Im sure there are several teams that would love that kind of glove and offensive production out of the 8 spot.  So until his defense starts to slip, I think Joe Crede is a more then capable 3rd basemen for us.

:headbang :cheers

Welcome to the board. Great post.

QUOTE(mduggan88 @ May 25, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)

I still dont get why no one likes Joe Crede.  Yes he has had some ups and downs with the bat, but he still has one of the best gloves at third base in the league.  Also, he is our 8 hitter, he will hit around .250 with 20 hrs and 65 rbi's.  That is pretty good for your 8 hitter.  Im sure there are several teams that would love that kind of glove and offensive production out of the 8 spot.  So until his defense starts to slip, I think Joe Crede is a more then capable 3rd basemen for us.

:cheers :drink

QUOTE(soxfan420 @ May 25, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
:cheers :drink

I just dont want the Sox to have to face Randa anytime soon. that guy is absolutely lights out against the Sox. If they have to acquire him to prevent this from happening, so be it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 25, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
I just dont want the Sox to have to face Randa anytime soon. that guy is absolutely lights out against the Sox.  If they have to acquire him to prevent this from happening, so be it.

or not. That makes no sense what so ever. He plays in the NL Central so we won't see him during the regular season or postseason. So you're assuming someone is going to trade for him and he is going to hit against us. So in order to prevent a team from acquiring him and having him hit against us, we should trade for him. Ya that makes sense.

Have you noticed that in big games against good pitchers that sending Crede up there works out as well as if you let Jose Contreras bat? Short of his homer off Urbina last year, it seems that Crede has the 20 quietest homers you are going to find. His swing just seems so long and slow when there is an above average pitcher on the hill.

QUOTE(mduggan88 @ May 25, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)

I posted the exact same thing yesterday. I think for an 8th place hitter, he has enormous power potential, and he makes so many difficult plays at first look easy, I think he is underrated as far as that goes. I like him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 25, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
I posted the exact same thing yesterday.  I think for an 8th place hitter, he has enormous power potential, and he makes so many difficult plays at first look easy, I think he is underrated as far as that goes.  I like him.

I think the biggest problem everyone has with Crede is that he's supposed to be so much better than this. He has the ability to be so much better than this. He has the ability to hit .280 or better, and drive 30 home runs out of the park, but he just doesn't do it constantly. We saw what Crede could do when he had his technique right in the first weeks of the season, and now he's back to his old ways and everyone feels angry and mistreated.

The guy should be so much better than this. He really should.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 25, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
I think the biggest problem everyone has with Crede is that he's supposed to be so much better than this.  He has the ability to be so much better than this.  He has the ability to hit .280 or better, and drive 30 home runs out of the park, but he just doesn't do it constantly.  We saw what Crede could do when he had his technique right in the first weeks of the season, and now he's back to his old ways and everyone feels angry and mistreated.

The guy should be so much better than this.  He really should.

Whether he SHOULD be better or not, I dont think we appreciate his current ability nearly enough. He is good at what he is right now, and i am content with having a reliable player in the hot corner. We could have it ALOT worse that this.

Joe Crede:

45 G, 147 AB, 0.245 BA, 4 HRs, 16 RBI, 0.305 OBP, 0.381 SLG

Joe Randa:

43 G, 152 AB, 0.283 BA, 4 HRs, 23 RBI, 0.368 OBP, 0.434 SLG

Vinny Castilla:

44 G, 154 AB, 0.286 BA, 4 HRs, 25 RBI, 0.364 OBP, 0.468 SLG

Vinny still has the best #s, though Randa looks equally attractive.

Change of chant: GET VINNY FOCKING CASTILLA OR JOE FOCKING RANDA :drink

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 25, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
Whether he SHOULD be better or not, I dont think we appreciate his current ability nearly enough.  He is good at what he is right now, and i am content with having a reliable player in the hot corner.  We could have it ALOT worse that this.

He's reliable defensively, that's for sure. And if he could hit .250 consistently, throughout the year, I would be happy, but he is not a consistent bat. That's what I would like to see...1 for 4's.

QUOTE(shakes @ May 26, 2005 -> 04:49 AM)

Qwerty and myself own copyright on that. ;)

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 25, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
Joe Crede:

45 G, 147 AB, 0.245 BA, 4 HRs, 16 RBI, 0.305 OBP, 0.381 SLG

Joe Randa:

43 G, 152 AB, 0.283 BA, 4 HRs, 23 RBI, 0.368 OBP, 0.434 SLG

Vinny Castilla:

44 G, 154 AB, 0.286 BA, 4 HRs, 25 RBI, 0.364 OBP, 0.468 SLG

Vinny still has the best #s, though Randa looks equally attractive.

Change of chant: GET VINNY FOCKING CASTILLA OR JOE FOCKING RANDA  :drink

You mean Vinny Castilla who has seen his batting average fall 75 points in less than a month? We already have a guy like that, why do we need another?

Somebody polluted the other trade thread that had begun a decision of Polanco for Crede. Never really got to elaborate on it. So I'll do it now.

First off just throwing out names like Castilla & Randa is senseless. You first need to have at least a rumor suggesting a team is peddling a player. Polanco fits that bill. I don't know about the other two.

05 Crede 3.71 RPG,4HR vs 05 Polanco 4.19 RPG,1HR

Why does Philly do this trade? Salary purge, & Crede's HR power. At 3B, PHI has the $4.7M Bell & the $4.6M Polanco & 2H between them. With Thome ailing they need HR power.

Polanco is a career .293A .339O .406S .745OPS player. He's in a bit of slump but he's still managed a .333OBP.

Crede's making 400K & is a much cheaper option for the Phils in 2006. A change might be the best thing for him. If it's done before the deadline the Sox will pick up about $2M in salary. If it's done now they'll pick up about $3M. I would try to get $1M from the Phils in the deal.

Polanco is a slow starter but a strong finisher.

3yr monthly's: BA, OBP, SLG, OPS

April .280 .356 .364 .720

May .227 .280 .369 .649

June .279 .310 .408 .718

July .327 .381 .451 .832

August .294 .341 .472 .813

September .321 .363 .466 .829

He can play 3B, 2B, & even some SS.

Looking at those numbers now's the best time to get him. Before he rebounds in June & the price is driven up. Joe it's been fun but you like Boras too much & your way too inconsistent.