Foulke

Jim Fainter

Foulke had his first Blown Save Tuesday night against the Tigers.  Oakland still won the game, however.

Koch had a lot of the same offensive benefit last year with the A's.

As for Foulke, he's gotten into a bunch of jams in the times that I've seen him. I'd say Foulke is doing worse than Koch right now.

I beg to differ.  Check out their ERA's and Blown Saves.

Yes, Koch has a much higher ERA. But I've seen Foulke get into too jams and barely get out of it. Bases loaded, 2 outs, and he's been lucky enough to get the final out, so his ERA won't go up.

Koch's velocity is not there yet and hes made mistakes up in the zone. He's given up 4 HRs, while Foulke only 1, so naturally Koch will have a higher ERA. But none of them are solid right now.

foulke's blown save last night was due primarily to a miguel tejada error..which he made up for with a homer in the enxt inning...foulke had 3 k's in the 9th..also gave up 3 hits but limited the damage despite the error and gave his team a chance..if thats the worst he pitches for the A's im sure they will be extremely happy

here is the story line from mlb..

Miguel Tejada's error kept the Tigers' rally alive with two outs in the ninth, but his solo home run in the 11th inning thwarted it.

you have to admit baggs, if Koch would've done that, you would be complaining how bad he was. 

Foulke giving the A's a chance is Koch sucking,

if koch had converted all his save opportunities prior to this point and the only reason his first blown save came because of an error id be saying the same thing about koch that i am about foulke now ...now if koch goes out tommorrow and pitches in the 9th and gives up three hits and gets a blown save because of an error id still say he sux because he has been getting shelled all year and the three hits he gave up would be par for the course..see the difference???

foulke 10.1 IP , 8H , 3ER , 3 BB , 12 K , 4of 5 in saves

botch 10 IP , 13H , 9ER , 5BB , 11K , 3 of 5 in saves

you said "foulke giving the A's a chance is koch sucking"

..thats true...because koch routinely pitches the way foulke does at his worst

umm, baggs, you ripped on Koch following his first outting. hell, you ripped on Koch before opening day. you ripped on Koch in between the two blown saves while he was pitching pretty damn good.

Baggs hates Koch and DJ. He never is satisfied. Foulke was one of the reasons that we suck last year, in the beginning of the season he was a s***. Koch did hiss work last year and foulke only did when the team was practically out of the race.

Baggs hates Koch and DJ. He never is satisfied. Foulke was one of the reasons that we suck last year, in the beginning of the season he was a s***. Koch did hiss work last year and foulke only did when the team was practically out  of the race.

ask oakland fans how well koch "did his work" last year...ask toronto fans how well koch "did his work" there..ask san deigo fans about DJ "doing his work"

molto..has koch deserved to be ripped on from day one??..and i didnt rip on koch before the season started...even i didnt think he would pitch this bad..unless of course you consider me bring up stats showing foulke was a much better pitcher as "ripping" on him...i ripped on williams for making the deal...billy bean knew kocbh was screwed up thats why he made the deal..art howe really overworked koch down the stretch and we are the benficiaries of that "overworkedness" :)

im one of the few giving koch an excuse...i think he is pitching hurt..but even healthy he is not in the same class as foulke..and the fact we gave up MJ and had to resign alomar and keep josh paul on the roster as insurance against injury for sandy really makes this trade look bad right now....

if all our players are so great and nev er deserve to be ripped on..why havent we won anything since '17???...think maybe some of our fans are guilty of wearing rose colored glasses???

We're not supposed to rag an a closer who makes 5+ million a year and has an era of 8+. I'm a fan to the end I'll cheer and support anyone who dons the uni. But I know the smell of horses*** and Koch to this point makes my nose itch. For all our sake may he work through it as so many contend will occur, but I'm not convinced and am so entitled to that.

Baggs hates Koch and DJ. He never is satisfied. Foulke was one of the reasons that we suck last year, in the beginning of the season he was a s***. Koch did hiss work last year and foulke only did when the team was practically out  of the race.

im not the only one that thinks koch sux..from baseball prospectus 2003

Rule of Commerce: Stock up on inexpensive goods that others overvalue. In the case of the A's, it's saves. Run Isrighausen's saves up, let him move along and become someone else's financial problem-we'll take the compensation. Run Billy Koch's saves up, and send him to an organization that can't even identify its own good relievers for Keith Foulke, Joe Valentine, and a patient catcher with some upside. It's a good plan, and as long as some GMs pay more attention to baseball's arcane accounting system than performance, someone will always overpay for a "proven closer."

im not the only one that thinks koch sux..from baseball prospectus 2003

Rule of Commerce: Stock up on inexpensive goods that others overvalue. In the case of the A's, it's saves. Run Isrighausen's saves up, let him move along and become someone else's financial problem-we'll take the compensation. Run Billy Koch's saves up, and send him to an organization that can't even identify its own good relievers for Keith Foulke, Joe Valentine, and a patient catcher with some upside. It's a good plan, and as long as some GMs pay more attention to baseball's arcane accounting system than performance, someone will always overpay for a "proven closer."

Mark Johnson "a patient catcher with some upside"

Upside? Maybe they meant backside...

Going into camp

After being erratic in Toronto, he was still erratic in Oakland last year, yet was named Rolaids Relief Man thanks to his 44 saves. He'll try to settle down as the White Sox's closer in 2003.

Assets

At the same time, he's a catcher's worst and best friend because of the way he pulverizes their palms while blowing a 100-mph fastball past hitters. Has a deceptively lanky build, bowed legs and bizarre beard: just the kind of physical quirks stereotypical of a top-flight closer.

Flaws

Due to his relatively straight fastball, he doesn't ring up as many K's as might be expected. He often lacks the killer instinct necessary for his role and appears shaky.

Career potential Koch is only a top closer on a team that will bail him out when he gets them in trouble.