Frank says he's ready...

Frank Thomas has told trainer Herm Schneider he's ready to rejoin the White Sox, but general manager Ken Williams probably will evaluate Thomas at Triple-A Charlotte in person this weekend at the earliest.

also...

Guillen is hesitant to put rookie Brandon McCarthy in the bullpen once Hernandez is activated because of the lack of innings provided for the Sox's long relievers and the need to keep McCarthy as a starter. "I think this kid has to go back to the minor leagues and keep throwing," Guillen said.

Trib

I agree with Ozzie. If its August or September, thats another story...go with Brandon.

But right now he should be starting and if Duque is back than Brandon should be AAA. I don't want him in the pen where he won't be stretched out enough if and when Duque goes back down again.

Hopefully Brandon can have another good start against Texas, than head back down to the minors with a few more things for him to work on (that he learned from this stint in the majors).

Even if he gets sent back down, we know he'll be back up again.

"Notes: Big Hurt not hurting

Decision expected on return next week; El Duque improving"

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

ANAHEIM -- Herm Schneider received a message from Frank Thomas during a phone conversation Wednesday afternoon that White Sox fans have been waiting to hear since at least the start of Spring Training.

"He said, 'Herm, I really believe I'm getting ready to go,'" said the White Sox athletic trainer of Thomas' call from Charlotte.

Schneider went on to present Thomas' reinforcements for this previous belief.

"'I feel good. I feel like I'm running the bases good," said Schneider, quoting Thomas' commentary. "'I feel like I can contribute and not so much clog up the bases. I feel like I can go from first to third, and from second to home. I'm not perfect, but I think I'm good enough to do those things.'"

During the conversation, Schneider told Thomas that he would deliver the message to general manager Ken Williams and get back to him. Williams told Schneider that there will be an ongoing evaluation process for Thomas, and that by the end of this road trip Sunday, a reasonable decision would be made on what to do with Frank.

According to Schneider, Williams wants a chance to see Thomas himself. He was not sure when Williams would make the trip.

"But there wouldn't be any decision until the end of this trip, at the soonest," Schneider said. "He still has to get his at-bats. But when Frank is delivering the message that he thinks he's ready ...

"He sounds very upbeat, like he's ready to go and contribute here. But that's him."

When Thomas began a Minor League rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Charlotte on May 17 in Ottawa, the main issue centered on how his surgically repaired left ankle could handle the day-to-day pounding. Thomas mentioned that soreness still existed, but it was nothing he couldn't play through.

There also was the desire to get Thomas plenty of at-bats against live pitching, which he hadn't seen since July 6 of last season. Thomas finished 0-for-4 on Wednesday in his Charlotte home debut, reaching base once on an error and striking out once. He has six hits in 29 at-bats over eight games, with one RBI.

Of course, the biggest current concern is what to do with Thomas when he returns. Manager Ozzie Guillen reiterated Wednesday that Thomas won't be playing first base, relegating him to pinch-hitting duties during the six-game Interleague road trip to Colorado and San Diego, beginning June 6.

The 20 days allotted for Thomas' rehab end in Indianapolis on June 5, which is not exactly perfect timing for the big man or the White Sox. Then again, Thomas could be taking his hacks for the White Sox sooner than expected.

"When we need to activate him, we'll activate him," Guillen said. "We can't do anything about it, and we'll figure out how to do it."

If I was KW, I'd give Thomas at least one more week to get back to hitting better in AAA first. When he proves that he has his stroke back, THEN he can be brought back to the Sox.

6 for 29 with quite a few K's, doesn't cut it.

On the BMAC issue, I agree with Ozzie.

McCarthy needs some more AAA seasoning.

Contreras/Hernandez can be moved closer to the trade deadline if McCarthy improves in AAA.

The 5th starter spot won't get many outings later in the season anyway.

I really want to see Frank playing back in Chicago, but it wouldn't be horrible if he had to finish his rehab stint. I think it'd be cool to see him play a game or two down in Indy.

As it's been said in this thread and the other BMac threads, I agree with Ozzie. BMac needs to be pitching every 5th day and get his starts.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 25, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
I really want to see Frank playing back in Chicago, but it wouldn't be horrible if he had to finish his rehab stint.  I think it'd be cool to see him play a game or two down in Indy. 

As it's been said in this thread and the other BMac threads, I agree with Ozzie.  BMac needs to be pitching every 5th day and get his starts.

I want to see Frank back with the Chicago White Sox ASAP. That said, I bought tickets a week ago to the June 5th Knights/Indians matchup . . . and think Frank and the Sox should play it by ear and give it as much time as it takes to get back to at least 75% true Frank form. Let the K's slow down, the walks speed up, and the bat heat up. Hope to see you PH'ing in CO Frank! :gosox1:

QUOTE(knightni @ May 26, 2005 -> 05:49 AM)
Contreras/Hernandez can be moved closer to the trade deadline if McCarthy improves in AAA.

I still dont like the idea of moving them anyway unless we get something really worth it in return......

Awesome news. I completely and utterly agree with Ozzie.

Although I'm a little disapointed we brought Brandon up for only two starts, he belongs back down in the minors to pitch ever fifth day for a variety of reasons, none of which I want to get into right now.

However, if Hernandez goes down again (and I think he will, probably with a "phantom" injury towards the end of Sept.) we know Brandon can come up with some confidence and get the job done.

Excellent news.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 26, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
Awesome news.  I completely and utterly agree with Ozzie.

Although I'm a little disapointed we brought Brandon up for only two starts, he belongs back down in the minors to pitch ever fifth day for a variety of reasons, none of which I want to get into right now.

However, if Hernandez goes down again (and I think he will, probably with a "phantom" injury towards the end of Sept.) we know Brandon can come up with some confidence and get the job done.

Excellent news.

I would expect that phantom injury to occur at the end of August. Then El Duque and BMac would both eligible for the post season roster.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 26, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
I would expect that phantom injury to occur at the end of August.  Then El Duque and BMac would both eligible for the post season roster.

Is it August? Bingo. You knew exactly where I was going with that.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 26, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
Is it August?  Bingo.  You knew exactly where I was going with that.

If El Duque is on the DL on Sept. 1 and BMac is on the roster, then they'll both both be PS eligible.

Kenny get your arse down there & check him out. The ideal situation is to send BMac back to Charlotte after his start on Fri & bring Thomas up for the homestand vs LAA & CLE.

Crede, Uribe, & Everett are all struggling. Less than 3H in their past 30+AB.

CLE is on a roll. 2-1 @MIN, 1-2 @TEX, 2-1 @LAA, 2-1 vTOR, 1-2 vLAA, 2-1 @CIN, 2-1 vMIN. They have 4 more at home before going on the road. Then it's 3 @MIN, & 3@CHW.

They've been winning on the strength of good starting pitching, great relief, & timely hitting. They've even shown signs of thumping again. If they win that series @MIN they'll be flying high with confidence.

The last thing I want is to lose a series to CLE before beginning the NL road trip. Thomas has great career numbers at the Cell. Don't let this opportunity get wasted because you have a greivance against him.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 26, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
Kenny get your arse down there & check him out.  The ideal situation is to send BMac back to Charlotte after his start on Fri & bring Thomas up for the homestand vs LAA & CLE.

Rumor has it Kenny will be heading down to Charlotte this weekend.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 26, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
Rumor has it Kenny will be heading down to Charlotte this weekend.

Its true, guess we will see what he thinks of the situation. It cant hurt to at least bring him with soon and let him get some at bats for us.