5/26 @ Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Chisoxfn

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ May 26, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
Cotts takes a lot of heat on this board for a guy with a 3.38 ERA.

Cotts is a garbage time pitcher. You put him in there when we're leading by 1 or 2 and watch the brown streaks appear on his pants. He f***ing sucks.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
But...but...but...we're in first place.  f*** that argument.  There need to be changes made, and fast.

Settle down. No matter how you look at things if you're in first place you shouldn't be complaining.

QUOTE(valponick @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:39 AM)
Settle down.  No matter how you look at things if you're in first place you shouldn't be complaining.

I would agree with that if we were 162 games into the season. It's gotten to the point where our pitchers have to almost be perfect in order for us to be in control of a game.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 26, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
I would agree with that if we were 162 games into the season.  It's gotten to the point where our pitchers have to almost be perfect in order for us to be in control of a game.

11 runs in the last 5 games..."It's broken...now fix it."

QUOTE(fathom @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:40 AM)
I would agree with that if we were 162 games into the season.  It's gotten to the point where our pitchers have to almost be perfect in order for us to be in control of a game.

I wouldn't go that far. Our style of play demands solid pitching, and like it or not we aren't going to be blowing many teams out, we are going to win a lot of close games, that is just a product of how this team plays baseball.

QUOTE(valponick @ May 26, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
I wouldn't go that far.  Our style of play demands solid pitching, and like it or not we aren't going to be blowing many teams out, we are going to win a lot of close games, that is just a product of how this team plays baseball.

It's just a product of how s***ty this offense is.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(valponick @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:43 AM)
I wouldn't go that far.  Our style of play demands solid pitching, and like it or not we aren't going to be blowing many teams out, we are going to win a lot of close games, that is just a product of how this team plays baseball.

When it gets warmer out, the ball will be flying out of the Cell. If we don't pick up our offense, our pitching is going to have a hard time single-handedly winning games like they have been.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:44 AM)
It's just a product of how s***ty this offense is.

The offense isn't performing right now, thats true but things will turn around. And again, our team isn't built around our offense, its built around pitching and defense.

Farmer described the home run pitch as down and in. Was it really a mistake by Contreras, or did that guy just go out and get it?

This was just one of those weird games. Iguchi getting thrown out at the plate. The other play at the plate (third actually, but you know what I mean).

I'm not down on the team. Two out of four in Anaheim is a moral victory at least. Cotts looked good. The Angels pitching is very good. The Sox will score plenty in Texas.

Edited by nvxplorer

QUOTE(fathom @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:45 AM)
When it gets warmer out, the ball will be flying out of the Cell.  If we don't pick up our offense, our pitching is going to have a hard time single-handedly winning games like they have been.

And when it gets warmer out we'll have #35 back in the lineup to give the offense a much needed boost.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:47 AM)
Farmer described the home run pitch as down and in. Was it really a mistake by Contreras, or did that guy just go out and get it?

This was just one of those weird games. Iguchi getting thrown out at the plate. The other play at the plate (third actually, but you know what I mean).

I'm not down on the team. Two out of three in Anaheim is a moral victory at least. Cotts looked good. The Angels pitching is very good. The Sox will score plenty in Texas.

It was a 4-seamer that caught too much of the plate. It was just the wrong spot to throw that pitch. He had a base open and a righty on deck, he should have thrown him nothing but junk. And yes I agree, things like this tend to happen to us on the west coast, it's no big deal for me, I'll take a split at Anaheim anytime.

QUOTE(valponick @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:47 AM)
And when it gets warmer out we'll have #35 back in the lineup to give the offense a much needed boost.

If we're relying on Frank to solve all our offensive problems......we're screwed. Our bottom of the order is simply pathetic right now. The thing is, you don't even have to make good pitches to guys like Dye, Everett, Crede, and Uribe in order to get them out. I would love nothing more than for the Frank of old to return, and have him hitting homers and drawing walks. I'm not completely sold we'll be getting the Big Hurt though. His injury is something that can really hurt a player's hitting ability.

Losses like that suck. I thought we had it when we went up 2-1. But remember we had the bases loaded once with 1 out in the 4th and didn't score. We also had men on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out in the 6th and didn't score.

Yes Contreras did make a mistake in that pitch to McFerson, BUT we could've easily won the game 4-3. (*NOTE: From looking at the replays Iguchi was safe at that wild pitch at the plate, and PODS was safe when he attempted to steal 2nd in the 7th. That could've been a couple extra runs.) Not to blaim the umps for the loss or anything. Taking 2 of 4 in Anahiem is nothing to be ashaimed of. The Angels are also a 1st place team and they also have solid pitching. We play Texas next, Texas has the power- but doesn't have the pitching. If B-Mac, Jon G, and Mark B. pitch 3 quality starts, I like the chances of take 2 of 3 against them. If we do that we went 6-4 on a pretty difficult road trip.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 26, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Its getting to the point where everyone from 4 on down to 9 is an automatic out.

f***ing sorry!!!

That's a little exaggerated.

Konerko has hit in nine of the last ten games (.395)

Dye sucked in this series, but he's having a good May.

Crede, Uribe and Everett fit your description, but the others haven't been that bad.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:51 AM)
If we're relying on Frank to solve all our offensive problems......we're screwed.  Our bottom of the order is simply pathetic right now.  The thing is, you don't even have to make good pitches to guys like Dye, Everett, Crede, and Uribe in order to get them out.  I would love nothing more than for the Frank of old to return, and have him hitting homers and drawing walks.  I'm not completely sold we'll be getting the Big Hurt though.  His injury is something that can really hurt a player's hitting ability.

I agree that you can't rely on one person to be the savior of your offense. I think Uribe and Crede are a combined 10 for their last 95 or something ridiculous like that. I can't honestly think things will stay the rest of the way. Everett has been killing some balls but just hitting them right at people. Dye has been a dissapointment all year. I'm sure Kenny Williams knows whats going on and is going to get a bat to help this team at some point. He isn't going to let all of his offseason moves and this teams early success go to waste because a few guys can't hit. So like I said, settle down, it'll be alright.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:55 AM)
Everett has been the worse, he looks totally over-matched at the plate its not even funny.... at times it seems like Timo Perez looks better at the plate at least when Everett is batting from the left side.

He is just overswinging and trying to pull everything from the left side. He looks great from the right side going to right field and hitting line drives. I say keep him at DH vs lefties but vs righties give guys like Widger and Ozuna who have been making things happen this year some AB's.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ May 26, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
That's a little exaggerated.

Konerko has hit in nine of the last ten games (.395)

Dye sucked in this series, but he's having a good May.

Crede, Uribe and Everett fit your description, but the others haven't been that bad.

Pretty sad when .260's is considered good for any player in any month...

We are lucky pierz is getting on at his current rate, .30 points higher this year from his batting average than his career.

Rowand has also been less than exciting.

The thing about Frank is he won't swing at balls. If he comes back as old Frank, I would like to see this aspect of his hitting become a bit infectious. Cause right now, if I am facing the Sox, I am not throwing very many 2 strike pitches in the strike zone. As bad as they were tonight at swinging at pitches out of the strike zone, the first game of the series was even worse.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
Rowand is the least of our problem.  Focus more on that black hole from the 4 slot on down.

Rowand has sucked offensively. I am sorry but it is true.