RIP Chico Carrasquel

Cubs Suck23

Guest JimH

He played for the White Sox for 6 years, 1950 thru the 1955 season. He was a 4 time All Star during that time span and gave way to Luis Aparicio in 1956. Chico finished his career with Baltimore in 1959 after playing a couple of seasons for Cleveland and a brief stint with the Kansas City A's.

Later, Carrasquel was the radio color commentator for the White Sox Spanish language broadcasts. My understanding was that Chico maintained a relationship with the White Sox organization as a community relations represetative. Carrasquel was revered in his native Venezuela and was a hero to Ozzie Guillen.

He was 77.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ May 26, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
With Ozzie being close friends with Chico do you think he might miss a game or two

Absolutely not. He Idolized the man but he's not going to miss work because he passed away. Ozzie will morn his death and reflect but he won't miss any games.

Edited by Kalapse

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Alfonso "Chico" Carrasquel, a former shortstop with the Chicago White Sox and one of Venezuela's most venerated baseball legends, died Thursday, hospital authorities said. He was 77.

Carrasquel, the third Venezuelan baseball player to make it to the major leagues, died of a cardiac arrest before arriving at a hospital, said Humberto Sarraga, public relations director of Caracas Clinics.

Carrasquel began his career in 1946 with Venezuela's Caracas Brewers. In 1950, he moved up to the major leagues to play with the Chicago White Sox.

The former All-Star shortstop remained with Chicago until 1955. He had 3,116 at bats with the White Sox during those five major league seasons, hitting .265 with 32 homers and 307 RBI.

Luis Aparicio, a fellow Venezuelan who was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1984, replaced Carrasquel as the team's everyday shortstop. Carrasquel then went on to play three years with the Cleveland Indians.

Carrasquel, who was born on Jan. 23, 1928, in Caracas, worked during the 1980's as a sports commentator for the White Sox.

During his later years, he suffered from diabetes.

I never saw him play, but my Dad told me he was better than Aparicio. I've never seen anyone better than Aparicio -not Jeter, Belanger, Smith or even Concepcion. I have a lot of respect for the Shortstop position.

He retired mighty young (31 years old in 1959), is there a story behind why?

The name of Carrasquel figures in a Kurt Vonnegut short story -- unfortunately, I cannot remember which one. I'll post an update later, after I look it up.

Another great story, which I'll have to post an update on, since I'm nowhere near any source material:

Then-Vice President Richard Nixon traveled to Venezuela in 1959 (I think) and was treated to a rather hostile reception, things being thrown at him, and such. When hearing the reports, a prominent member of the Chicago Baseball media supposedly said, "If the rest of the Venezuelan people hit like Carrasquel, Nixon shouldn't have a problem."

A fine shortstop and, according to those who knew him, a better man than a ballplayer. He will be missed.