Carlton Fisk and the White Sox

Hideaway Lights

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ May 26, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
If you have insight into the '51 team that would probably be an interesting read.  Do share...

You didn't ask me but here goes. The 1951 started out slow going 6-7. Then they suddenly got red hot and won 26 out of the next 31, to top off at 32-12. They eventually cooled, ending the season at 81-73, 4th place in an 8 team AL. They generated a lot of excitement and set an attendance record, acquiring the nickname that stuck with them for over a decade, the Go Go Sox. Minnie Minoso, Eddie Robinson, and Nellie Fox led the attack on offense. Fox and the now departed Chico Carrasquel were a formidable DP combination and Jim Busby was an acrobat in CF. Billy Pierce and Saul Rogovin were stalwarts in the starting rotation. Yes, they faded somewhat after a strong start, but served notice that they were no longer bottom feeders in the AL. This was the first of 17 straight winning seasons, the 3rd longest in ML history IIRC. In 1951 Chicago became a White Sox town, as the Cubs were now 6 seasons into a 2 decade long funk.

1951 Chicago White Sox

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 26, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
I felt he disowned us when he went into the Hall of Fame as a Red Sox. I kind of resent him for that, and whenever someone asks me to make an "all-time" list or list my 5 favorite players, I always leave him off intentionally.

I know I'll probably get lynched for this POV, but anyone else feel like he took out his battle with mgmt on the fans? Didn't he have more tick and play more games in Chicago overall?

After Reinsdorf Treated him like shi t who wouldn't ;)

QUOTE(ptatc @ May 26, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
This is true. I am in the minority and will be hammered but I believe the Sox did Fisk a favor by keeping him as long as they did. He was obviously no longer a major league player at the time they let him go.  No team would go near him. He could no longer hit or catch effectively. He was one of my favorite players to watch but he was done. I will agree the way they dumped him was wrong but after he broke the record he shouldn't have played much and who knows how he would have reacted to that.

I agree that the Sox kept Fisk on the roster to allow him to break the record. Considering that they were a contender, that was very generous of them. If Fisk would have been a vialbe major leaguer, some other team would have latched onto him after he was released. The problem I have with the whole deal was they way in which the released him. They had him travel to Cleveland before giving him the news. That was just wrong. It was like they wanted to happen on the road so they wouldn't be in town to face the backlash of Fisk's fans. Generally, Sox fans are smarter than that. I knew Fisk was done and was glad he was able to break the record. But a roster spot on a pennant contending team is avluable commodity.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 27, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
I think if Fisk went in as an outfielder (nice move Hawk) it should have been as a White Sox, I have no problem with what cap he's wearing on a plaque in the HoF.

Fisk should have gone in with the mask on top of his head, no cap. That's my image of Carlton Fisk anyway.

Guest JimH
Actually.. he doesn't hate him as much as Rick Hahn who is responsible for the way Fisk was screwed over. Jerry is the reason Carlton was kept on to get the record.

Not sure about this, Hahn joined the White Sox in 2000:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/team/e.../hahn_rick.html

The Fisk thing happened in what, 1993 if I remember correctly? Wasn't it Schueler who had a big part in the whole Fisk thing?

Edited by JimH

Guest JimH
Dumbest..... Post..... EVER!

Carlton's decision was, in no way, directed at the fans. It was directed at that jerkoff Jerry Reinsdorf. And I, for one, don't blame him and I hold no ill will towards Fisk. If I was so unceremoniously s*** upon by the Organization that I  gave a decade's + worth of hard work and sweat too, I would go tell my ex-boss to go eat a dick too.

Still stuck in your craw? Talk about letting it go ...

I think Steff will tell you Fisk is more pissed at Schueler than anyone.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 27, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)
Not sure about this, Hahn joined the White Sox in 2000:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/team/e.../hahn_rick.html

The Fisk thing happened in what, 1993 if I remember correctly?  Wasn't it Schueler who had a big part in the whole Fisk thing?

Hahn was a silent partner from day one - the sole one responsible for getting the investment group together as a matter of fact. He "re-joined" the front office after medical issues sidelined him for a few years. IIRC.. he had a kidney transplant in 1996.

Edited: Oh s*** Jim.. I am an idiot.. I am talking about Einhorn.. not Hahn.. :bang

QUOTE(JimH @ May 27, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
Still stuck in your craw?  Talk about letting it go ...

Ron was just following orders is what he kept saying :rolly . I'll never forget sitting at a Lockport football game with my dad and Carlton and how many times Carlton used the "p" word in referring to how Ron acted. :ph34r:

QUOTE(JimH @ May 27, 2005 -> 07:48 AM)
Still stuck in your craw?  Talk about letting it go ...

I have let it go. I'm just gonna call out BS when I see it.

Someone start a "White Flag Trade was GOOD" post and I'll flame that one too..... even though it happened in 1997.