Did Ozzie call the pitch to McPherson?

DonkeyKongerko

Now I'm not usually in to second guessing, but it looks really bad when your manager goes out to the mound and a go-ahead homerun is promptly served up.

Ozzie appeared to be cursing more than normal in the dugout after that one. I only hope if he did call it, he will let A.J. call the pitches from now on. If A.J. called it, then he made a mistake.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:39 AM)
Now I'm not usually in to second guessing, but it looks really bad when your manager goes out to the mound and a go-ahead homerun is promptly served up.

Ozzie appeared to be cursing more than normal in the dugout after that one.  I only hope if he did call it, he will let A.J. call the pitches from now on.  If A.J. called it, then he made a mistake.

I'm actually guessing the opposite, he probably told him not to throw him anything good to hit. Contreras must have interpreted that as throw him a fastball right over the heart of the plate. He should have been throwing nothing but junk to him, he had a base open and a righty on deck.

Idonno but Jack McDowell even said only throw your best pitch here dont give him anything to hit and than what does Contreras do... gives him a HR ball.... pisses me off the most when it has beene evident the whole series McPherson cant hit anything slow... he is a fastball hitter and we gave it to him.

I'd have to watch again to see if Count shook a sign off. I just got the impression that he was just thinking "Told ya" to whoever called it.

And yeah, I'm not mad either. Not at Contreras. Lackey was very hittable tonight and we let him off the hook big time.

Yeah I don't like second guessing, and like Jack, I would have been mad if he pulled El Conde right there... But after Ozzie walked I said becareful this guy'll swing at anything... Don't throw him first pitch fastball (which I almost always want Conde to throw)...

The blame for the loss doesn't fall on Contreras... We simply have to score more than 2 f***ing runs.. 2nd &3rd and no outs should be 1.5 runs.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 26, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
I'd have to watch again to see if Count shook a sign off.  I just got the impression that he was just thinking "Told ya" to whoever called it.

And yeah, I'm not mad either.  Not at Contreras.  Lackey was very hittable tonight and we let him off the hook big time.

As is the case with damn near every other pitcher we face. When the f*** is someone besides Pods and Gooch gonna hit something?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 26, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
Yeah I don't like second guessing, and like Jack, I would have been mad if he pulled El Conde right there... But after Ozzie walked I said becareful this guy'll swing at anything... Don't throw him first pitch fastball (which I almost always want Conde to throw)... 

The blame for the loss doesn't fall on Contreras... We simply have to score more than 2 f***ing runs.. 2nd &3rd and no outs should be 1.5 runs.

Contreras pitched his ass off tonight and made 1 mistake. This is defenitely not his fault . You can blame each of our 4-9 hitters ( hitters is a term I use very loosely ).

If that wild pitch didn't bounce right back to Molina, we may not be discussing this either. It was a quirky game. Contreras pitched well. Cotts pitched well. They struck out what? Eleven batters?

It would have been nice if the Sox hit better, but luck played just as much a part in this game as anything.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:47 AM)
It seems to me that Contreras always starts to get weak come the 7th inning, thats when he gives up his runs all the time it seems...

That's a good analysis. He was clearly hanging his forkball in that inning. He pitched a great game though, and will face the same Angels team next week.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
If that wild pitch didn't bounce right back to Molina, we may not be discussing this either. It was a quirky game. Contreras pitched well. Cotts pitched well. They struck out what? Eleven batters?

It would have been nice if the Sox hit better, but luck played just as much a part in this game as anything.

Funny thing is iguchi was under the damn tag. They showed the replay from a few different angles and he looked safe every time. Boo to the umps.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 26, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)

It was Contreras game to lose. He's been nothing but a tough luck pitcher and it continued today because he threw awesome. He pitched nearly as good as Buerhle did and better than Freddy did. He was just cruising making guys look nasty.

There were three really hard hit balls the entire night, Cabrerra's double, that homer and Molina hit one pretty deep into center that was caught.

Sox lost this one because they failed to execute with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs. In fact they failed like 3 times in those situations. Still it was a great game and this is the funnest time I've had at a basball series in a long time. It was just a well played series all around for the most part.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 26, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
Funny thing is iguchi was under the damn tag. They showed the replay from a few different angles and he looked safe every time. Boo to the umps.

He was safe. Pods was safe too. They blew two calls that night. I had such a good angle on the play at the plate and there was zero doubt in my mind (well as best as possible). The tag came in high and Guchi had his hand on the back part of the plate. It was an awful call, but that fantom Pods throwout was even worse.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
Somebody's got to take the blame.

The offense. It was there fault. Ozzie made the right call and come on, no matter what he told him he didn't tell him to hang a pitcher.

As far as McPherson, he struck out a lot in the series but I must say he was probably the best hitting Angel of the series. He hit the ball hard in a couple at bats the day before and than again today. He seems to be on the verge of finding it.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
If that wild pitch didn't bounce right back to Molina, we may not be discussing this either.

Yeah but we got it back when Cabrera's ball hit the top of the fence and decided to come back in.