Anyone going to Cleveland in July?

shakes

Guest JimH
This is my first time. Any advice on hotels, parking, bars, restaurants?

Cleveland is underrated IMO. We have been there several times for seminars and it's actually a pretty neat city, they've cleaned it up quite a bit.

Try to take a tour of Jacobs Field if you can, that's always an interesting behind the scenes look at things. They're inexpensive and they have them almost every day, the Indians website will tell you more.

Hotels ... try for a weekend discount at some of the downtown hotels ... there's one on Lakeshore Drive, right on Lake Erie, called the Holiday Inn Lakeshore (duh). You can get a decent rate there, and I believe they run a shuttle to the game. Most of the restaurants in the area will run a shuttle, and that's what I recommend. Parking is ok but there are tons of angle streets in and near downtown Cleveland because of the Cuyahoga River.

If you are 21 or with someone who's 21 ... the Warehouse District is adjacent to downtown, maybe 8-10 minutes from the ballpark. Any restaurant you might want, you'll find it there. Also you have an entertainment district right on the river called The Flats ... it caters to the college crowd although it's gone downhill in the past 10 years, several places have moved out. Here's a good link: http://www.cleveland.com/flats/index.ssf?/...re/history.html

The west bank of the river in The Flats has some great places to eat, drink, sit in the sun on the river, etc. (check out a complex called The Powerhouse, you can't miss it, it's huge). They have a nice brewpub on the west side and they always have concerts there on many weeknites and always on the weekends. The downtown hotels can shuttle you there, or if you drive there are plenty of parking lots.

One place to eat that I really recommend is just at the fringe of The Flats called the Flat Iron Cafe. It's relatively inexpensive, kind of a casual place but also a Cleveland original. Go for the fish fry on Friday nites, it is excellent. I'm not doing justice to this place with my description but it's kind of a casual Irish pub sorta place, but not tacky like some Irish pubs. The food is excellent, homemade, and inexpensive. You won't see the tourists there, it is a Cleveland tradition and a place you should absolutely try to make. http://www.flatironcafe.com . Coupon on website for free appetizer, and they have a shuttle to the ballgames.

If you are 21, go over the river from the flats and go to the Great Lakes Brewing Co. - one of the first brewpubs around. http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com .They give tours of their brewery which is adjacent, and even if you're not 21 it's great ... free root beer. In the summer they have a spectacular beer on tap called Holy Moses ... do not miss it! Also there is a huge market, kind of like a farmers market but indoors and permanent, on the same block as the Great Lakes Brewing Co. - this market is a great place to go on Sat. mornings to see all the hustle and bustle, mingle with the locals, and grab some cheap breakfast. The official name is the West Side Market, literally steps from Great lakes Brewing: http://www.westsidemarket.com

If you can't or don't want to stay in downtown Cleveland, go to Lakeview which is the first suburb west of downtown and stay at a place called the Edgewater Inn. It's about 12-15 minutes from downtown Cleveland, right out Lakeshore Blvd. (Rt. 2). You can look them up on the web. Clean, decent rates and easy to get in and out of. It's in the vicinity of 117th and Clifton Blvd.

Other things ... Rock and Roll Hall of Fame of course. Take a boat trip on Lake Erie, very cool. http://www.goodtimeiii.com/default.htm

Baseball history ... do mapquest and take a 15 minute drive east of downtwon on Euclid Ave. to 66th and Lexington. There you will see the remains of League Park, the first home of the Cleveland Indians. It is now a ballfield and community center. http://members.tripod.com/franksballparks/leaguepark.html

The community center building is itself the old ticket office for the Indians, and the grandstand on the first base side is part of original League Park. There's a plaque there commemorating the only unassisted triple play in World Series history, on that site in 1920. Babe Ruth hit a ton of HR's at that site, the left field wall was only 291 feet down the line. It is kind of a sketchy neighborhood, go during the day, but you won't be bothered, it's a park and lots of people will be around. League Park was used in the early part of the 1900's and the last game held there was 1946 when Bill Veeck moved the team to Cleveland Stadium full time. The actual ballpark was demolished in 1950.

I also recommend going out to Shaker Heights, that's kind of a University area, you can combine that with the drive to League Park. Shaker Heights is upscale and there is a town square area http://www.shakersquare.net with places to eat and drink. Also stop at Little Italy, a stretch of Euclid Ave. not far past the League Park area at about 108th St. to 125th St. west: http://www.littleitalycleveland.com/. Several good, cheap Italian places, just walk around, stick your nose in and pop into the one you like best. Anything from good pizza to all the pasta dishes. A personal favorite: Mama Santa's, 12305 Mayfield Rd. - have the italian sausage. Here's a link:

http://cleveland.citysearch.com/profile/79...d_pizzeria.html

Oh, in the Shaker Heights area, again not far from Little Italy, etc. is a place called the Academy Tavern http://www.cleveland.com/dining/reviews_pl...ssf?1960?1960_1, kind of like Schaller's Pump in Cleveland. It's been around since 1939, great comfort food and they have Genesee Beer on tap. They have blue plate specials and a fish fry. Cheap and very good, another personal fave.

On your way in or out of town, try to stop at the Port Clinton/Lake Erie islands area. If you have an extra 1/2 day, the boat ride out to Put-In-Bay is a must http://www.put-in-bay.com . It is a great little island for walking around with all sorts of stuff to do ... and even if you can't get into the bars you will not be missing out on the scenery, it is absolutely jumping in the summer. There is a bar there which has "the world's longest bar", it curves around and around and around, very cool. The entire area is maybe 1 hour west of Cleveland, you'll see the signs. Lastly, if you are near Toledo around lunch time, go into their downtown and see the Mud Hens ballpark, it's a gorgeous little stadium called Fifth Third Stadium. Then stop and get a great hot dog at a local legend called Tony Packo's, it's been around forever, http://www.tonypacko.com . It will only be 15 minutes off the interstate and you'll be a hero with everyone you take.

Enjoy!

Edited by JimH

Guest JimH
Thanks JimH!!! That's a huge help. :snr

Everyone going is 21, so we can try all your ideas. We are going to the games Friday and Saturday. I'm looking forward to the trip even more, now.

That's great, you will love it.

Over the weekend I'll have a little time to dig out my Cleveland stuff and I'll PM you with some addresses and websites, etc. Since everyone is 21, that opens things up, LOL.

I should mention, Jacobs Field is very very close to downtown, one could say it's in downtown. So the bar area (Flats/Warehouse District) is just a very short hop away. There are, of course, a few bars adjacent to the ballpark, they're all just fine too. I find the Cleveland people to be nice, especially if you take an interest in their city. If you tell them you are thinking about the Flat Iron Grill or Great Lakes Brewing Co. they'll be impressed. Of course they aren't thrilled with White Sox fans, but hey.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 27, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
That's great, you will love it.

Over the weekend I'll have a little time to dig out my Cleveland stuff and I'll PM you with some addresses and websites, etc.  Since everyone is 21, that opens things up, LOL.

I should mention, Jacobs Field is very very close to downtown, one could say it's in downtown.  So the bar area (Flats/Warehouse District) is just a very short hop away.  There are, of course, a few bars adjacent to the ballpark, they're all just fine too.  I find the Cleveland people to be nice, especially if you take an interest in their city.  If you tell them you are thinking about the Flat Iron Grill or Great Lakes Brewing Co. they'll be impressed.  Of course they aren't thrilled with White Sox fans, but hey.

That would be great!!! :notworthy

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 27, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
This sounds like a nice little road trip....how long is the drive to Cleveland?

IIRC.. took us about 6 hours. Whatever you do.. DO NOT SPEED within the city limits on the expy. Jim was going 8 over and they tagged him for a $95 ticket. And if you can swing it.. stop at Cedar Point on the way home. Awesome coasters if you like that kind of thing.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 27, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
IIRC.. took us about 6 hours. Whatever you do.. DO NOT SPEED within the city limits on the expy. Jim was going 8 over and they tagged him for a $95 ticket. And if you can swing it.. stop at Cedar Point on the way home. Awesome coasters if you like that kind of thing.

This is starting to sound like a good idea...maybe I'll see some of you there. :P

Thanks Steff, I'll probably pass on the coasters...I hate lines!

QUOTE(Steff @ May 27, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)

Heck yeah, Cedar Point rules !!!!!!

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 27, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
This is starting to sound like a good idea...maybe I'll see some of you there. :P

Thanks Steff, I'll probably pass on the coasters...I hate lines!

We're doing Baltimore, Boston, and Minnesota this year so maybe we can meet up at the Cell.

As for the lines, they really aren't too bad. Not Great America like by any means.

Have fun!!

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 27, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
This explains why you're a Sox fan to eh?? :D  :bang

It explains why I go to my secret bathroom when I'm in the outfield! I hate waiting in line, especially when the old bladder is full!

QUOTE(Steff @ May 27, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
We're doing Baltimore, Boston, and Minnesota this year so maybe we can meet up at the Cell.

As for the lines, they really aren't too bad. Not Great America like by any means.

Have fun!!

We should have a 'sox-talk' outing...has that been done before?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 27, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
We should have a 'sox-talk' outing...has that been done before?

Oh yea.. this years I believe will be done the weekend of 8/19 when the Yanks are in town.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 27, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Oh yea.. this years I believe will be done the weekend of 8/19 when the Yanks are in town.

I actually have tickets for the 19th...does everyone get seats together? Or just tailgate before?

Guest JimH

Have fun!!

Wow, I love all three (refrains himself from doing a travelog on Baltimore, Boston, and Minneapolis).

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 27, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
I actually have tickets for the 19th...does everyone get seats together?  Or just tailgate before?

Tailgate before.

For Jim's birthday I got him BP with the Yanks on that day.. :headbang

QUOTE(JimH @ May 27, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
Wow, I love all three (refrains himself from doing a travelog on Baltimore, Boston, and Minneapolis).

Re-peats for me.. of the 3 Jim's only been to Baltimore so he's excited. Especially about Boston.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 27, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)

Cool! A group of us are doing a Patio Party that weekend, but I can't remember which date! :bang