Boras factor in the draft

CSF

Sox's No. 1 amateur draft deterrent: Agent Boras

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

May 26, 2005, 11:01 PM CDT

ANAHEIM -- The White Sox have narrowed their list of first-round candidates for the June 7 amateur draft down to about five players.

But there's virtually no chance they will select a player advised by agent Scott Boras.

"In my past 15 years of doing this, we haven't had much success with Scott Boras," said Duane Shaffer, the Sox's senior director of player personnel.

General manager Ken Williams, who last winter declined to pursue free agents Boras represents, also said Boras would have an impact on whom the Sox would choose with the 15th overall selection.

"I'd be lying if I told you it wasn't a consideration," Williams said earlier this week.

According to Baseball America, Boras is serving as a family adviser to at least five players who could be taken in the first 20 picks. That doesn't include pitcher Jered Weaver and shortstop Stephen Drew, who will go back into the draft if they don't sign with the teams that drafted them in the first round of the 2004 draft before Wednesday.

In past years, the Sox have failed to sign Bobby Seay (1996), Jeff Weaver (1997) and Bobby Hill (1999)—all high draft picks who hired Boras as their family adviser.

Shaffer will scout players this weekend at the Southeastern Conference and Atlantic Coast Conference tournaments.

He and his top scouts will meet Wednesday in Chicago to review reports and film of their top candidates.

"We're not specific at this point, whether it's high school or college, pitcher or position player," Shaffer said.

"I can't tell you who it will be. We have all these categories in the mix."

The Boras factor also could influence the 14 teams picking ahead of the Sox.

Shaffer acknowledged the Sox's farm system is well stocked with outfielders and pitchers, but that might not discourage them from taking a player in the first round at that position.

The Sox won't pick again until the third round with the 97th overall selection.

Extra innings

The Sox signed two left-handed pitchers from the 2004 draft—Logan Williamson of Pensacola (Fla.) Junior College and Nick Walters of Mountain Ridge High in Glendale, Ariz. Williamson, a 27th rounder, has reported to extended spring training in Tucson, Ariz. Walters, a 31st-round pick, will pitch for the Sox's Rookie level affiliate in Bristol, Va.. …

Williams will accompany the team to Texas but might leave to see a potential first-round pick if rain reaches the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune

I'm not too concerned with this. I feel its stupid taking a Boras client unless your willing to take the chance of not having that pick sign. Considering the Sox don't havea another pick till 97th overall there is no way I want to see them take someone at 15th thats a Boras client and have him hold out the rest of the year (hell you know its bad when the Angels who spent huge bucks on the draft won't come to terms with Weaver) and than end up having just a 97th pick an on in the draft (really puts your team in a crunch).

However, that being said they could look at Wade Townsend who appears to have a decdent shot of being there. Whoever suggested Bogulsvic in one of them (Tulane's ace pitcher) I'd freaking love it if we got him, but with Boras having control of most of the top college pitching prospects, odds are guys like Bogul and Romero will end up going higher.

My first choice right now would be Matt Torra from UMass. I've liked everything I've read about this guy. Here's what Jim Callis of BA had to say about him:

The Atlantic 10 Conference pitcher of the year, Torra is a strong 6-foot-3, 225-pound righthander. He has a consistent 92-94 mph fastball and can carry that velocity deep into games. He also has a plus curveball and a changeup that should be average. The biggest concern scouts have with him are some high pitch counts he has put up this spring, but his season is over now so there's no more danger of that. Torra went 6-3, 1.14 (an ERA that currently ranks second in NCAA Division I) with a 111-16 strikeout-walk ratio and a .172 opponent average with no homers in 95 innings.

In the 3rd or 4th round, I'd love the Sox to look at Mark Holliman from Ole Miss if he's still around. He was a 1st Team All-SEC pitcher as a sophomore last year, but had somewhat of a down year this year. He's got a lot of talent, and can still dominate a game as was shown in the SEC Tourney when he shut down Alabama. I didn't watch the whole game, but through 6 innings, he had 12 k's (shoulda been 13), and had only allowed like 2 hits.

Another guy to consider in rounds 3-5 is 2B Chris Getz from U of Mich. The Sox drafted him out of high school, so you know we'd be interested in him again. He could also probably move to SS if we wanted him to. He doesn't hit for power, but he's a solid player.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
I'm not too concerned with this. I feel its stupid taking a Boras client unless your willing to take the chance of not having that pick sign.  Considering the Sox don't havea another pick till 97th overall there is no way I want to see them take someone at 15th thats a Boras client and have him hold out the rest of the year (hell you know its bad when the Angels who spent huge bucks on the draft won't come to terms with Weaver) and than end up having just a 97th pick an on in the draft (really puts your team in a crunch). 

However, that being said they could look at Wade Townsend who appears to have a decdent shot of being there.  Whoever suggested Bogulsvic in one of them (Tulane's ace pitcher) I'd freaking love it if we got him, but with Boras having control of most of the top college pitching prospects, odds are guys like Bogul and Romero will end up going higher.

Well the angels have told borass that 6 million no more and boras originally wanted 12 million for Weaver.... now angles still saying 6 million and boras has lowered it all the way down to 6.75 supposedly but angels refusing to spend the extra 750,000... I think we on the otherhand would of got it done.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 27, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
Well the angels have told borass that 6 million no more and boras originally wanted 12 million for Weaver.... now angles still saying 6 million and boras has lowered it all the way down to 6.75 supposedly but angels refusing to spend the extra 750,000... I think we on the otherhand would of got it done.

I don't think so. Not a chance the Sox would of paid 6 million for Weaver.