Community Mock Draft

mrkupe

QUOTE(doUrememberwhen @ May 28, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
Just a quick question.  Whos the best polished hitter of the guys we could be considering?

I'd think that Pennington or Clement would be the most polished of the guys that will be there at 15 that we might also consider drafting.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BA in their ever loving overhyping of pitching speeds, talked about Honel being a 91-93 mph fastball guy. He was always mentioned as being the poor man's Gavin Floyd. It doesn't seem like he ever lived up to that speed, even before the "injury". My philosophy in reading scouting reports from BA about pitchers is that you should take 2-3 mph off their reported top speeds. I've talked about it with Jason before, but I think they just see the guy hit a certain speed one time while scouting him and tout that he can touch "97" etc from then on. Usually they talk about a guy that sits in the 93-95mph range and he ends up hitting 90-92. I can't blame them because I'm sure they rely alot on second hand reports because of the vast amount of guys they scout. Anyways, just picked up the BA magazine for this month, some nice stuff like previously mentioned.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 28, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
Let's do it Danman. We should have one on the board here where everyone picks a team. Immitation is flattery after all. Any ideas on how to get he ball rolling? I'd love to participate

I'll start a new thread and hope we can get it going and finished by the time the draft starts.

I just saw a guy I think we should select in the 3rd round. Austin Jackson. Teams will be scared off about his basketball commitment to GT. But I've been hearing that Paul Hewitt has been flirting with the Knicks job. That would likely free up his commitment, or atleast soften it enough that we can throw 3rd+ round money at him and get a steal. Even the rumors of Hewitt leaving could be enough to sway a baseball commitment.

Here is an article on him and CJ Henry from BA.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/2005d...0twosports.html

MLB.com radio had a mock 1st round with beat writers and gurus for most of the teams. Go here to listen to picks 1-15. Here's their top 15:

1. DBacks: Upton

2. Royals: Gordon

3. Mariners: Tulowitzki

4. Nationals: Ryan Zimmerman, 3B, Virginia

5. Brewers: Maybin

6. Jays: Romero

7. Rockies: Luke Hochevar

8. DRays: Townsend

9. Mets: Hansen

10. Tigers: Pelfrey

11. Pirates: Andrew McCutchen, OF, HS (FL)

12. Reds: Jacoby Ellsbury, OF, Oregon St.

13. Orioles: Jay Bruce, OF, HS (TX)

14. Indians: Ryan Braun, 3B, Miami

15. Sox: Brian Bogusevic, LHP, Tulane :headbang

I think everybody would be ecstatic if the top 14 went that way. I would love to have Bogusevic.

Bogusevic would be interesting, here's a report on him from BA...

"Though more teams prefer him as a three-pitch lefthander, he also has five-tool potential as a right fielder. On the mound, Bogusevic shows an 89-93 mph fastball along with a solid slider and changeup. He has good command, though his velocity and location slipped when he strained a hamstring early in the season. The injury also kept him out of the lineup for much of the first half, though scouts were running in to check out his bat as the draft approached. Bogusevic's size, swing and bat speed give him tremendous power potential from the left side of the plate. That power is still more raw and not as evident in games—he hasn't homered in 94 at-bats this spring—but it's there and he did have 10 home runs as a sophomore. He's also Tulane's fastest player, running the 60-yard-dash in 6.6 seconds during the team's scout day last fall. His arm obviously is an asset on defense as well. Bogusevic hit just .183 with wood bats in the Cape Cod League last summer, a performance partially attributed to fatigue from the grind of playing both ways during a long college season. "

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
MLB.com radio had a mock 1st round with beat writers and gurus for most of the teams. Go here to listen to picks 1-15. Here's their top 15:

I think everybody would be ecstatic if the top 14 went that way. I would love to have Bogusevic.

I'd be so damn happy with Bogusevic. He just had a stellar outing during his conference finals (CUSA I think) and his stock is on the rise. Best collegiate lefty in the draft, imo (better than Romero).

Why am I not so thrilled with Bogusevic?

In 2003 and 2004, he posted WHIP's of 1.46 and 1.37, with a K/9 under seven. His ERA, while alright, wasn't spectacular by any means either -- 3.41 and 4.19. This year, he's obviously doing a lot better, but it's still not someone who jumps out at me as a guy I want at #15. Then again, I'm not a genius on the subject of draft prospects, either.

I'll be honest -- straight fastball or not, I have my heart set on Wade Townsend somehow falling to #15.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)

In 2003 and 2004, he posted WHIP's of 1.46 and 1.37, with a K/9 under seven.  His ERA, while alright, wasn't spectacular by any means either -- 3.41 and 4.19.  This year, he's obviously doing a lot better, but it's still not someone who jumps out at me as a guy I want at #15.  Then again, I'm not a genius on the subject of draft prospects, either.

I'll be honest -- straight fastball or not, I have my heart set on Wade Townsend somehow falling to #15.

If the D-Rays pass on him at #8, maybe, just maybe he could fall to us at #15.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)

In 2003 and 2004, he posted WHIP's of 1.46 and 1.37, with a K/9 under seven.  His ERA, while alright, wasn't spectacular by any means either -- 3.41 and 4.19.  This year, he's obviously doing a lot better, but it's still not someone who jumps out at me as a guy I want at #15.  Then again, I'm not a genius on the subject of draft prospects, either.

Yep, I have the same uneasy feeling...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)

Sometimes things change. Who knows what might have happened in the offseason to make Bogusevic have such a great year. Same goes with Matt Torra. It looks like anyone we're interested in has question marks: Bogusevic, Torra, Townsend (doubt he falls), Clement, Carillo. All of these guys have something wrong or potentially wrong with them. Anyway, I don't think you should be deterred from someone just b/c they had a great senior year with otherwise good years. Look at Brian Anderson. He was this exact type of draft pick, and he's doing great in a very mediocre, at best, lineup in Charlotte.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 28, 2005 -> 05:21 AM)
To me I'd prefer the Sox take a chance on a high school guy with a bigger upside than a college guy with more polish at this stage. The Sox have got enough good arms in their systems, that they can probably afford to take more of a chance, if you get what I mean.

With only 1 1st round pick and no 2nd round picks, the sox want to make sure their pick gets to the majors. This isn't the draft to take a chance on a guy [now, last yr's darft with all the high picks was] A solid dependable guy like Carillo, makes sense.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)

If the first 14 picks went that way, wouldn't the sox take C Jeff Clement, who was supposed to be in the top 10?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
With only 1 1st round pick and no 2nd round picks, the sox want to make sure their pick gets to the majors. This isn't the draft to take a chance on a guy [now, last yr's darft with all the high picks was] A solid dependable guy like Carillo, makes sense.

Maybe, but I tend to look at things this way.

Case Study - Gio Gonzalez and Tyler Lumsden. Both were picked around the same spot. Yes, Lumsden has been injured, but he didn't exactly set the world on fire last season either (although that was probably due to his arm). Gio, on the other hand, the high schooler, has been just awesome so far, and no doubt looks the better prospect.

The Sox have enough good prospects at this point, that I think that they should take a high school guy with the higher ceiling. Doubt that's going to be the case this year though, as the majority of the top prospects are college guys.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
Maybe, but I tend to look at things this way.

Case Study - Gio Gonzalez and Tyler Lumsden. Both were picked around the same spot. Yes, Lumsden has been injured, but he didn't exactly set the world on fire last season either (although that was probably due to his arm). Gio, on the other hand, the high schooler, has been just awesome so far, and no doubt looks the better prospect.

The Sox have enough good prospects at this point, that I think that they should take a high school guy with the higher ceiling. Doubt that's going to be the case this year though, as the majority of the top prospects are college guys.

The sox did take chances last yr as they had a lot of picks. But with only 1 in the first 2 rounds, they should take a "sure thing"--whatever that means. A college guy who has the makeup and track record to get to the bigs and contribute. I agree, a HS guy could have a higher ceiling. But they also have a lower floor. The floor the sox should be looking at IMO, is a guy almost certain to get to the bigs [doesn't have to be an allstar--just a contributor]

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
The sox did take chances last yr as they had a lot of picks. But with only 1 in the first 2 rounds, they should take a "sure thing"--whatever that means. A college guy who has the makeup and track record to get to the bigs and contribute. I agree, a HS guy could have a higher ceiling. But they also have a lower floor. The floor the sox should be looking at IMO, is a guy almost certain to get to the bigs [doesn't have to be an allstar--just a contributor]

I can see why you'd want to pick a college guy who's make it to the bigs and contribute. Me on the other hand, I want a guy who at #15, will be an all - star one day. Gotta swing for the fences, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

If you have a loaded system, you go for the high school guy, who could be icing on the cake. If you don't, you want the college guy who you can sort of build your farm system around, if you get what I'm saying.

I think the Sox have enough good prospects, that they can afford to take a chance, and with no 2nd round pick, they should be drafting the best guy available (unless he's a Bora$$ client), regardless of how much he's gonna cost.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
If the first 14 picks went that way, wouldn't the sox take C Jeff Clement, who was supposed to be in the top 10?

Maybe, but a lot of people think he's a very overrated prospect. It's not like catcher's the BIGGEST need anyways. We've still got Francisco Hernandez .210/.270/.312 down at Kanny, and Donny Lucy who we drafted in the 2nd round last year.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
Maybe, but a lot of people think he's a very overrated prospect. It's not like catcher's the BIGGEST need anyways. We've still got Francisco Hernandez .210/.270/.312 down at Kanny, and Donny Lucy who we drafted in the 2nd round last year.

Clement may not be that guy, esp if his defense doesn't match his offense. I'd just like to see them take the best available guy, regardless of position. Even Of if a guy drops in their laps.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 06:51 AM)

So you're trying to tell me C isn't a need?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:50 AM)
So you're trying to tell me C isn't a need?

Haha, yeah it is, but it's not the end all to be all. I've got faith in Hernandez and Lucy anyways.

John Sickels review of the picks;

Chicago White Sox

1---15---Wade Townsend, RHP

3---95---Josh Lindblom, RHP, Harrison HS, West Lafayette, Ind.

4---125--Chris Robinson, C, University of Illinois

5---155---Josh Zeid, RHP, New Haven CT HS

COMMENT: Townsend could go just about anywhere in the first round, depending on what his exact demands are and on how teams assess his spring workout performances. He's a legit pick at 15. Lindblom is a hard-throwing Midwest pitcher who will need time to develop but has a high ceiling. Injuries slowed Robinson this spring, but if he returns to form he could be a steal in the fourth round. Zeid will have to be bought out of college baseball, but represents good upside value in the fifth round if signable. Some risk here with the high school pitchers, but the two college guys provide a good mix.

1---16th----Cesar Carillo, RHP, University of Miami-FL

Carillo should advance quickly

Washington Nationals

1----4th----Jeff Clement, C, USC

but Clement is pretty much a sure thing which helps reduce the risk.

Houston Astros

1---24---Lance Broadway, RHP, TCU

Solid college guys all down the line here, in keeping with recent Houston draft philosophy. The first six guys all have a chance to advance rapidly through the system, although none of them have tremendous ceilings except possibly Marceaux.