Cubs Trade Latroy Hawkins

Kalapse

This is the most MVP baseballish trade the Cubs have pulled off yet. Jerome Williams and Aardasma both have kind of low ratings because they're young and Latroy Hawkins has a decent rating because he's a veteran. You trade the s***ty older Vet. for the two you minor league studs. It's good video game strategy.

Take it easy, Anthrax. :lolhitting

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm willing to bet Hendry targeted Aardsma for the very reason LaTroy was unsuccessful at times. In AAA, he gave up just 2 home runs in 55.1 relief innings pitched. I do not know what kind of park Fresno plays in, but that is still very good.

That is a good trade for the Cubbies, but I think LaTroy will be solid for the Giants as long as he doesn't miss with his location b/c of the short left field wall. I think this is a good trade for both, but the Cubs will get the better of it in the long run.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 28, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
I think this obviously signals that Prior is out for the season.  They would't have acquired a starter with MLB experience like Jerome Williams if he wasn't.

QUOTE(Nokona @ May 28, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Anyone else think that this was made because Prior will be out for possibly the season?

Maybe

Williams doesn't impress me as much as he impresses you guys. He was striking out just over 7 per nine innings in the minors, and about three walks per nine. The BB's are decent, yet it looks like his stuff isn't awesome if he's not even striking out a guy per inning... JMHO, but still a good trade for the Cubs. If they fall off the map, I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Maddux gone too...

Williams doesn't impress me as much as he impresses you guys.  He was striking out just over 7 per nine innings in the minors, and about three walks per nine.  The BB's are decent, yet it looks like his stuff isn't awesome if he's not even striking out a guy per inning...  JMHO, but still a good trade for the Cubs.  If they fall off the map, I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Maddux gone too...

I agree with you there. If Maddux hits 400+ IP from last season and this season combined, they will owe him $9 million next season. Maddux is a good pitcher but he isn't worth $9 million at this point in his career.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 28, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Jerome Williams and David Aardsma for Latroy Hawkins and cash considerations. Source 670 the Score.

wow, if they could have traded Latroy for what they got, I wonder what Vizcaino or Shingo would bring for us?? :huh

wow, if they could have traded Latroy for what they got,  I wonder what Vizcaino or Shingo would bring for us?? :huh

LaTroy still has a decent ERA. He just can't close games. I still think he's a headcase though. Vizcaino's ERA is horrendous. Shingo's ERA is getting better. I still think LaTroy has more trade value than both Vicaino and Shingo because he had a history of being consistently good before this season.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 28, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
SF must be really down on Williams after his start this season.

He could be a nice starter for the Cubs.

SB

This is a great move by the Giants. They needed a quality reliever and they got one. Williams was once a top prospect and I am assuming neither of these guys will spend much time in the Cubs organization. If I were to garner a hunch, I'd think they would be moved on (although I'm not sure of the rules in trading guys you've just acquired).

Williams has been brutal down in AAA this year (ERA's like 8.5 or so).

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 28, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
Aardsma has an even brighter future than Williams.

Truly, the Giants got fleeced.  The Cub fans ought to gloat over this trade for awhile...lord knows they have nothing else to be happy about.

Aardsma is definately the gem, but the Cubs need help now and I highly doubt they'll be keeping these guys.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 28, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
Aardsma is definately the gem, but the Cubs need help now and I highly doubt they'll be keeping these guys.

I've never seen Aardsma pitch and I'm shocked to see how poorly Williams has been doing, when I saw him pitch in the big leagues I though he was going to be a real good one, I wonder if something is wrong with him physically?? Either way, I think this is a good deal for both teams like I said. Latroy will be a stud for San Fran, no doubt in my mind.

WOW, i didnt realize how bad Williams is pitching thus far. If Williams is dealt to us, I would welcome that in a heartbeat. Chisoxfn, I agree with you that Hendry might be looking to deal and use this players to get them a LF or probably a closer.

If the Cubs don't convert Aardsma back into a reliever, this trade is somewhat of a wash, and could actually be a decent move by Sabean. Williams won't even smell the majors until 2006 at the earliest, and everything hinges on Aardsma. His K/9 numbers aren't impressive for AA, and if he's kept in the rotation, then the Cubs gain absolutely nothing from this.

I like this trade for the Giants. Before becoming a Flub, Hawkins was argubly the sickest set up man in the game. I really believe he's gonna be much better, especially when Benitez gets back.. Isn't that the way it usually happens for Chicago teams? I don't know what's up with the Jerome Williams hype. His numbers have never been impressive. Can't comment on the other guy, i've never heard of him until now.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ May 28, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
I like this trade for the Giants.  Before becoming a Flub,  Hawkins was argubly the sickest set up man in the game.  I really believe he's gonna be much better,  especially when Benitez gets back..  Isn't that the way it usually happens for Chicago teams?  I don't know what's up with the Jerome Williams hype.  His numbers have never been impressive.  Can't comment on the other guy,  i've never heard of him until now.

hawkins will fair better with the giants, ill agree there