Cubs Trade Latroy Hawkins

Kalapse

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawkins has left Cubdom, that means he'll automatically become the sickest setup man in the league again. I have confidence that he'll go back to being a great closer. Jerome Williams is probably insurance for the Cubs since a starting pitcher is always injured.

Hawkins was never a great closer, even with the Twins when Eddie Guardado was injured. He is a good 8th inning setup man, that is all.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 28, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
Hawkins was never a great closer, even with the Twins when Eddie Guardado was injured.  He is a good 8th inning setup man, that is all.

Personally, i think he "was" a good setup man, not is. His problems right now are due to more than just having to close. He's absolutely been a terrible pitcher.

I don't see how this is a rip off on either side. Despite all of the s*** he takes, LaTroy has been decent in his time on the Cubs. He's still got pretty good stuff, and as long as he doesn't close he should be a very useful reliever. As for the guys the Cubs got, they both are/were solid prospects, but Williams has been less than impressive and is getting rocked, and Aardsma is still not that close to the majors. This could work out very well for both teams.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 29, 2005 -> 04:51 AM)
For those of us who want Brad Lidge and Billy Wagner, considering what the Giants gave up for LaTroy, it's definitely going to cost A LOT.

The giants simply outbid themselves for latroy.

Another reason they overpaid is so the trade can get done NOW rather then July.

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
The giants simply outbid themselves for latroy.

Another reason they overpaid is so the trade can get done NOW  rather then July.

I guess with Tyler Walker as your closer, they made a move sooner rather than later. And considering Hawkins isn't a spring chicken, in Sabean's mind, only sealed the deal.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 29, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Sorry guys, I meant setup man. That's what happens when you wake up and go straight to soxtalk.com to post. But yeah, I think he'll be a great SETUP man.

You would think so, but if his performance so far this year is any indication, I'm not ready to just blindly predict that he'll return to superb set-up form. History is very important, and it will tell us a s***load, but you know how it is with relievers...they drop off the map with the quickness.

Hawkins came in during the 8th, and pitched a scoreless inning. With the game tied at 6 in the 9th, Tyler Walker came in and promptly gave up 3 runs. When Alou came to pull him, some yahoos were chanting, "WE WANT HAWKINS, WE WANT HAWKINS!"

Ahhh, ignorance is bliss. :P

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ May 29, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
Hawkins came in during the 8th, and pitched a scoreless inning.  With the game tied at 6 in the 9th, Tyler Walker came in and promptly gave up 3 runs.  When Alou came to pull him, some yahoos were chanting, "WE WANT HAWKINS, WE WANT HAWKINS!"

Ahhh, ignorance is bliss.  :P

i heard it and i loved it

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 29, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
For those of us who want Brad Lidge and Billy Wagner, considering what the Giants gave up for LaTroy, it's definitely going to cost A LOT.

Wagner has a 10 mill contract which will keep his price (in terms of prospects) to a minimal.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Wagner has a 10 mill contract which will keep his price (in terms of prospects) to a minimal.

But considering he'll be traded at the deadline, teams will only have to pay a 1/3rd of his contract right?

i just can't believe this trade, the sCrubs pulled out a gem of a trade.

williams, watch out, he will rebound, he is struggling b/c of personal troubles, he might not rebound this yr but he will!!!! i been a true believer in this guy for yrs. i been wanting him in a sox uni.

this trade may be for the future.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ May 29, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
He is actually a very good GM.

no he isnt, if he was good hed have a halfway decent pitching staff by now, they keep getting relievers when they need starting pitchers, all they have is schmidt

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 30, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
Designated Matt Herges for assignment. I would tell the Sox to pick him up, but he was one of the pricks on SF that didn't like AJ.

Ya, that wouldn't be good for team chemistry.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ May 30, 2005 -> 04:14 AM)
no he isnt, if he was good hed have a halfway decent pitching staff by now, they keep getting relievers when they need starting pitchers, all they have is schmidt

The Giants front office is highly respected, but I hear you. Their lineup is ancient, their starting rotation is poor, and their bullpen is beyond terrible. They haven't developed very many good players in recent years. Their pipeline is s***, maybe even worse than the White Sox. Just like everybody else, they always have some guys in the minors who look like potential studs, but then they crap out. Everybody of value on that team came from elsewhere. I'm thinking of guys that they've developed over the past 10 years, and names like Aurilla and Foulke are all tht come to mind. I'm sure that I'm forgetting someone of importance. These ain't your pappy's Giants (Will Clark, Matt Williams, etc).