5/29 Games

BHAMBARONS

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ May 29, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
Love your reports, but would rather see the play-by-play on its own thread, I do not have the time to look through all that and was I scan I miss some posts from others I wanted to see, for comments on other games etc...

If others disagree, so be it.

I usually don't do PBP and not very good at it so today will be the last time I try it

West Tenn 3 Barons 2

Good pitching today considering this team bats .302 as a team. Ryan was 2-4 with a triple. To many runners left in scoring postion. Blakely now in a 3-27 slump. Some great Defense today by Young 2 nice catches Sweeney with a great catch and throw, Fields made 2 great plays. Barons still lead the SL south by 1 1/2 games. Corwin on the mound tomorrow.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ May 30, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
I usually don't do PBP and not very good at it so today will be the last time I try it

Not that you are not good at it, you are fine, just clogs up this thread and makes it easy to miss a post.

Not a big deal, I should have just kept quiet.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 30, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
Can anyone comment, as far as using OPS to judge a prospect?  I like that Young's OPS is over .800, in a pitchers park, and he's walking -- but he's still striking out a whole lot.  Should that worry me?

All that I can tell from his numbers is that he is a high risk/high potential prospect.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 30, 2005 -> 05:11 AM)
Can anyone comment, as far as using OPS to judge a prospect?  I like that Young's OPS is over .800, in a pitchers park, and he's walking -- but he's still striking out a whole lot.  Should that worry me?

I think as long as he is getting on base via walks often enough, that it is not a terrible sign. Now a guy like Collaro bothers me more, great numbers but single digit walks. I think Young is going to make it big, he skipped High A ball, that is a tough one to skip.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 30, 2005 -> 02:21 AM)
All that I can tell from his numbers is that he is a high risk/high potential prospect.

That's exactly what it tells me. He's obviously got exceptional tools and has a chance to be a star, that being said he has a lot to work on and can be a complete bust, only time will tell.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 30, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
That's exactly what it tells me.  He's obviously got exceptional tools and has a chance to be a star, that being said he has a lot to work on and can be a complete bust, only time will tell.

I think he has really high potential remember like someone said earlier he skipped High A ball.... and with the exception of going to the majors I think High A to AA is the biggest step in a athletes career.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 30, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)

I think the strikeouts delay him about a year (maybe half a season) longer than a guy who posts similar numbers, with less strikeouts. Reason being, big league pitchers will be more able to exploit the holes in his swing. It's going to take him a little longer, but that guy has great potential.