SOX vs. Angels 5-30-05

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ May 30, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Now, you're comparing Crede to someone who hasn't played in a MLB game in almost a year?  Not only that, Crede is the number 9 hitter, not the all-time franchise home run leader.  Crede definitely has been asked to bunt before, and I think he's done a pretty solid job in the past.

okay well someone who hasn't bunted in a while, and Thomas' name was the first I thought of.

QUOTE(AirScott @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
Garcia, I'm sure he did right before the game.

Unreal. I'm sure Garcia spent hours before the game practicing the bunt. Crede practices bunting at least one time before each game. That's a lot more bunts practiced over the course of the season than before one game.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 30, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
Unreal.  I'm sure Garcia spent hours before the game practicing the bunt.  Crede practices bunting at least one time before each game.  That's a lot more bunts practiced over the course of the season than before one game.

not hours, but at least a few, so he can get a feel for it so he won't just be closing his eyes and saying a little prayer while the ball is pitched.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 30, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
Problem is, from all the reports I've heard from non-Sox observers.....Fields has looked awful in the minors.

I think you could say he is struggling at the plate... batting .213, but he is very young and not at all ready to advance. On a positive note he is pretty good in the field (no pun intended)

C

Bottom line is, if you aren't really a threat offensively (as Crede has consistantly proven over the years), you should be able to lay down a bunt. For me personally, I think that if you are a major leaguer, you should know how to bunt. Hell, you are tought how to do it in little league.

Now, I understand why certain hitters (power hitters) never do it, but still...

QUOTE(minorsfan @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
I think you could say he is struggling at the plate... batting .213, but he is very young and not at all ready to advance.  On a positive note he is pretty good in the field (no pun intended)

C

How old is Fields now? It's not like we're talking about a high school player advancing through the system. The problem is that QBs haven't had success making the adjustment over time.

Bottom line is, if you aren't really a threat offensively (as Crede has consistantly proven over the years), you should be able to lay down a bunt.  For me personally, I think that if you are a major leaguer, you should know how to bunt.  Hell, you are tought how to do it in little league.

Now, I understand why certain hitters (power hitters) never do it, but still...

That was exactly my point. If Cruddy can't hit, he had better make sure he can lay down a f***ing bunt. Otherwise, he is in the lineup for his defense alone.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 30, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
That was exactly my point.  If Cruddy can't hit, he had better make sure he can lay down a f***ing bunt.  Otherwise, he is in the lineup for his defense alone.

And it's not like his defense is stellar. He f***s up a bit too much to be considered stellar defensively.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
Bad time for Paulie to have a bad year:

What sucks with PK now is that he's gone from being a very tough out/professional hitter to being a dead-pull hitter who will get himself out just as much as the pitcher will.